Track Race Report Thread

g-boaf

Re: Track Race Report Thread

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Not a race report as such, but certainly a big crashing down to earth from the prior D grade win in the first ever race meet I entered. Riding on DGV is a massive buzz, but it's massively terrifying for a newbie. Some people make it look easy on their first attempt, that wasn't me.

I did make a bad mistake but escaped very luckily without going down. That was entirely my fault. :oops:

By the third run of 6 laps with half lap turns, I was feeling much more at home, less nervous and actually enjoying the experience and learning the nuances of the track.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Told you it was scary :). Just wait until you're in a bunch of 24, four or five abreast on the turn. You get used to it, though.

Good on you for giving it a go so early in your track career. I hope you're not turned off. Once you get into the flow of it, it's a great rush.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:20 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Told you it was scary :). Just wait until you're in a bunch of 24, four or five abreast on the turn. You get used to it, though.

Good on you for giving it a go so early in your track career. I hope you're not turned off. Once you get into the flow of it, it's a great rush.
Just the opposite - I've experienced it now and I want more of it. :) It's awesome. 8)

I'm trying to organise some more time there myself on the weekend which is about the only time I'm free. I doubt it would have made a difference if I waited for a bit longer to try it, it still would have been just as daunting. Better to get it over and done with now.

I could turn up on Wednesday night to the Bankstown meet, but I'll play it cautious.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:22 pm

I went in C grade tonight. It was harder but it was also a lot more rewarding. Now I know what grade I actually belong in. C grade is a lot smoother for starters, the pace is higher but it is smoother too.

I learned a lot about tactics in C grade that D grade didn't give me. D grade, if something didn't work, I'd stomp on the pedals and fix the problem. Not so here. :lol: Enjoyed that a lot. 8) It's rewarding too. No wins tonight, but glad to be somewhere in the middle and not way off the back.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:28 am

g-boaf wrote:I went in C grade tonight. It was harder but it was also a lot more rewarding. Now I know what grade I actually belong in. C grade is a lot smoother for starters, the pace is higher but it is smoother too.

I learned a lot about tactics in C grade that D grade didn't give me. D grade, if something didn't work, I'd stomp on the pedals and fix the problem. Not so here. :lol: Enjoyed that a lot. 8) It's rewarding too. No wins tonight, but glad to be somewhere in the middle and not way off the back.
This part is the secret to any racing, even when it hurts! 8) Now that you have found what grade best suits you, sit back and study the riders and watch how they respond to different scenarios and learn their weaknesses so that you can beat them. Don't be in a hurry to show them how good or bad you are. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:29 am

Nice work. As you say, the pace is higher but everything is a lot smoother - this trend continues in the higher grades too.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:17 am

That's definitely one of the best things about going up grades

scotto

Postby scotto » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:30 am

you should enjoy this weeks pain fest. i think c grade are doing a 40 lap points race with a sprint every 10..... ouch....

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Only 40 laps, soft I tell ya soft.:P

They were 50 to 110 laps when I did them 33yrs ago
:D

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Yeah, but we've got kilometers now instead of miles, so it's different. :P

I'm sure the old and fat division didn't do as many as the fit youngsters, no matter what decade it was.

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:19 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Yeah, but we've got kilometers now instead of miles, so it's different. :P

I'm sure the old and fat division didn't do as many as the fit youngsters, no matter what decade it was.
Race in kilometers, and train in miles, to win :evil:
B.C. there were no old or fat divisions :P
g-boaf keep up the good work :D
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:15 pm

brentono wrote: there were no old or fat divisions :P

Yep things are very different now. In the 1950's there was a grand total of 4 rainbow jerseys on offer per annum: Road race, Track pursuit, Track match sprint, Motorpace.
Last year I counted over 70 rainbow jerseys awarded with all the different age divisions and events.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:33 pm

I'd prefer a 160 lap points race, but they only do 60 laps in my age division
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:07 pm

Yeah DD, the Term "World Champion" doesn't seem to make much sense these days.
The Youth Brigade got it easy these days ( I'm envious :wink: ) :P

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:39 pm

scotto wrote:you should enjoy this weeks pain fest. i think c grade are doing a 40 lap points race with a sprint every 10..... ouch....
I'm out for Friday, Saturday and maybe next Friday too. As soon as I did a few sprint efforts tonight near the end I knew I had to stop - let the ribs recover. I've got a fracture somewhere in there. I can do steady speed (even fairly high steady speed) but sudden efforts and any bumps (eg on road or cycleways) hurt.

Should be good in a while. I will be down there Friday with the camera though. 8)

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:19 pm

A 40 lap points race sounds good...will suit the endurance riders;)

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:45 am

Not sure how the points are worked these days (is-it double for the last?)
but I used to enjoy this type of race as a sprinter,
and 40xlaps = 4 sprints is more controllable than longer events.
Would take the first or second, then just sit in and take the last.
If it's a fairly even field, and the points are spread,
you should win comfortably with this strategy (I used to, back B.C. :D )
Enjoy it guys.
Cheers

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:18 am

Great reading guys:)

Brentono, speaking from inexperience!, I think the points are up to the commisarie. We have run a few different points scenario's lately, which has put a different tactical spin on each race. If last Friday nights points race was double for the final sprint, I would have won it:P Im not sure how I would classify myself, I go alright in the sprint, but also good with distance. We havent run a long distance race at any of the meetings I have been too as yet, it would be good to see how it pans out, no doubt there will be a whole other bag of tactics to learn!!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:00 pm

I looked at placing in the early sprints and then after the halfway point go for the win in the sprints in this part. Then look at the sprinters to see if they were hurting and then keep it going after the line for a while.:twisted:

This worked better in the 30/50klm points races. Many a placing and win in these distances in the Aces grade back then.:cool:

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:12 pm

brentono wrote:Not sure how the points are worked these days (is-it double for the last?)

Not in State or National events. Sprint every 10 laps, all worth 5, 3,2,1. Lap the field for 20 points.

Elite men 160 laps, women 100 laps
U19 men 100, U19 women 80 laps.
MMAS 1-2 =120 laps
MMAS 3-4 = 80 laps
MMAS 5-6 = 60 laps

Ive seen plenty of Points races at State, National and World level, been chief tactician / handler for a National Points Race champ MMAS1 and world MMAS3. These days its extremely rare to win a points race without taking a lap. Sometimes 2 laps plus sprints is required..

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:13 pm

Right Gary, 50km points races that I ended up in were usually Madisons.

And thanks DD for the info, and now I come to think of it, have recently watched
some events, on TV, with points and noted the "Lap the field" scenario,
which to me, seemed to spoil the whole event. And it wouldn't have happened
"back in the day" as everyone seemed to be more involved.
They seem to just roll around these days, no-one wanting to stay in front,
and it seems to turn the race into a shambles.
And, to me the points for "Lap the field" are excessive v's Sprints, and disproportional.
The event to me, is to sprint, to accumulate points, against the other competitors,
and not just take laps. Just my opinion, but personally, for me, as a spectator,
it spoilt my viewing, and made the events rather unspectacular.
More of a promoters worry, though, I suppose. Thanks again for your input.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:04 pm

Yeah I agree with you Brenton with the slackness in the chase. :| We worked hard to be on the same lap and have enough points to win, rather than let someone get a lap up. :?

The points scores that I rode were only individual races and not Madison Races. The Madisons where a two up event like the Six Day Races :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

KGB

Postby KGB » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:16 pm

I don't know if I completely agree. Under the old rules, if someone lapped the field it was virtually game over. Now, yes they get a fair chunk of points but at least its still possible to still win sprints and win the race.
I can see why the old rules made everyone ride harder to prevent the lap being taken though.
Points race is still my second favourite event to watch after the Madison - which is still under pretty much the old pointscore lap rules.

It's been a while since I've seen double points on the last sprint.

Edit: not sure I used the word "still" enough in that post. Still. :p

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:45 am

What's most unfair is that when the race is 60 laps or less you only get 10 points for lapping the field
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:57 am

Mike,
Without having even seeing recent 40-60 lap events, with what you describe,
I would presume that these events are more an even paced event, with pressure on
for the sprints (bit like races of my day) and would not think there is much of
the bunch riding around the top of the track, looking at each other, waiting for a lap.
Though it may not suit your style, it would make for a better spectators event.
You just have to hone those sprint skills, to go with your strength.
All the best.

KGB "still" dems da rulz. Under the old rules, the crowd and riders loved it. :D

Foo. Thanks, won a couple of Pro State Madison Titles. Liked up to 6xSprint Points-Scratch races. :wink:

"Fair"=1-Lap=20-points=4xSprint wins (and that's WINS), I don't think so. :?