Track Race Report Thread

dalai47

Re: Track Race Report Thread

Postby dalai47 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Season is in full swing, so surprised there aren't any recent reports!

I've been racing twice a week now since the summer track season started. Last Saturday afternoon saw the second round of the Interclub Summer Track League at the Packer Parker velodrome - due to the number of tracks in Melbourne I'd never ridden on it even though it is only around 8km from home!

It is one of the longer and flatter tracks around town at 360m long and was quite quick with a smooth coated asphalt surface. It was also rather exposed to the surprisingly blustery South Easterly wind which made the back 'straight' a slog but offered a super fast wind assisted finish.

During the first break. I'm the one in red...

A grade comprised of riders I'd not competed against before so I really wasn't sure who to watch. First race was a straight scratch, one rider showed his hand early and attacked hard. I covered the move quickly but didn't want to keep it going as it was too early and wanted to see how strong the other riders were. About 5 laps to go he went again but as I was already shadowing him I covered it quickly with one other rider coming across. Unfortunately we weren't working well and were were about to get caught at the bell. I was on the front so upped the pace into the wind getting out of the saddle and going 200 metres to go. With the tail wind, being in front it was the place to be. I didn't look back till over the line and ended crossing first with a good gap.

Same break

Second race was a 2 lap sprint. Due to the number of riders we ended rolling off the fence rather than be held and cruised an extra lap for a rolling start. Shadowed the same rider as he once again upped the pace sitting nicely on the outside so we wouldn't get boxed in. Final lap - back straight I pushed hard as he dropped into the sprinters lane and was able to power past him and dropped into the sprinters lane myself at around 150m to go and once again crossed first a few lengths clear.

Final race was an Elimination with one rider being called out each lap after the first neutral lap. First couple of sprints I was cruising mid bunch and not happy being there as it would be too easy to be boxed in. So after the next sprint I kept the pressure on over the line and dropped into the front position. Once again with the wind it was the place to be for the sprints and a great position to dictate the pace as no one was keen to drive around me along the back into the wind. From the front I was able to check over my shoulder as the others fought it out to avoid being eliminated. A little confusion on the bell as there were still three riders behind me; found afterwards one rider didn't hear his number get called out. Again I kept the pace steady and attacked hard around 200m to go and came across first again.

Not the strongest fields in the end, but I am really happy with how smart I was reading the conditions and opposition. A great afternoons racing!

Then raced the last Tuesday night at DISC - ego put back in check with some tough racing. Best result was a fourth in the 50 lap motorpace.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Good to see a report Dalai and the only way to ride miss and outs is in the first 3. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:42 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Good to see a report Dalai and the only way to ride miss and outs is in the first 3. :wink:

Foo
But not in the sprinter's lane. You'll get trapped, rolled over, and spat out the back. Then you'll hear your number called and wonder how the hell you lost!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:00 pm

Second wheel one wide was my preferred spot. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:17 pm

My first ride on a Velodrome in 33yrs. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svsnu3ck ... wner-smbtn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://app.strava.com/activities/107010628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foo
Goal 6000km

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:59 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Second wheel one wide was my preferred spot. :mrgreen:

Foo
With my limited experience so far, I must agree...I was most comfortable in this position while still with the bunch.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:08 pm

foo on patrol wrote:My first ride on a Velodrome in 33yrs. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svsnu3ck ... wner-smbtn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://app.strava.com/activities/107010628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foo
Well done, Foo. It's about time you got back on. I hope that video isn't representative of your vision now, though.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:16 pm

What you mean all over the place like a mad dogs dodo? :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:42 pm

foo on patrol wrote:What you mean all over the place like a mad dogs dodo? :lol:

Foo
Nah, I was talking about it being blinkered. Are you planning on getting back into racing? I remember you saying you were interested in getting a masters title you missed in the past.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:01 pm

Oh yeah, my long term goal is to race again but I will not do this unless I can train properly. I am to competitive to make up numbers, when I race, I race to win/beat as many as possible and continually get better. :twisted:

It will be another 3yrs providing things go to plan before you see me racing again. :wink: I have 33yrs of not racing plus 29yrs of not riding to try and compensate for BFG. So my 2 days of when I can ride, providing I am fresh enough and don't have to catch up on any of the home chores crap doesn't get in the way, will allow me to keep my legs rotating. It's all or nothing with me and the determination to make up for my racing days being cut short by the truck, will drive me to take no prisoners. :wink: Providing of course my body/health doesn't let me down. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:24 pm

First race meet tonight, started D grade. Looks like I'm in C grade next week.

That was good fun. :) But I need to get better at tactics and being smoother. Good going for first time out there, but more work needed.

That's my abbreviated race report.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:32 am

That's good GB, it does take a bit of work to smooth out your riding on a velodrome but in the end, it is worth it. :mrgreen:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:07 pm

foo on patrol wrote:That's good GB, it does a bit of work to smooth out your riding on a velodrome but in the end, it is worth it. :mrgreen:

Foo
Thanks. :) That was good to get the first one done with an overall win. :)

I followed it up with a 76km road ride this morning. Oooh... I'm completely exhausted now. I feel like I could eat everything in the fridge and freezer. :lol:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:07 am

If you young or new blokes and gals want a good example of riding someone off your hip in a sprint, have a look at the sprint final with Anna Mears in the last ride for the Aus sprint title. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:36 pm

Mid season right now so racing Tuesday night indoors and Saturday afternoons with my club outdoors...

Loading up the car to get to the race, the 35C heat had my resolve wavering and I contemplated going back inside rather than to the track...

Due to the heat there is only two others in A grade and therefore combined us with the three in B. First race is a scratch - most are happy to keep a constant but reasonable tempo except ex pro Tom who punches hard nearly every turn on the front! This successully drops the B graders. Sitting second wheel just before the bell I jump as hard as I can, unfortunately not hard enough to be able to pass Steve in first wheel and drop into the sprinters lane. Ended up being a drag race up into the final bend where I fortunately got my wheel in front and crossed the line first.

Second race was the masters handicap. I have a typical for me poor start and don't get across and contest the finish.

3rd race was a Teams Pursuit - we rolled solid turns and pipped the others at the finish.

Last race was a short motorpace. The pace picked up nicely till it was just Tom and me. The gear I selected was a couple of inches too short and I just lost touch of Tom and the motorbike less than 1/2 a lap before the bike was to pull off. Once he knew he had the gap and the motorbike was gone it was just a 500m effort to the line - I'm not able to make up that lost ground with Tom heading for home and finished well back!

Overall a satisfactory afternoon especially as I nearly didn't go as I really don't like the heat! I think the Scratch race may be the first track event I have beaten Tom in (did win a 20km road TT a couple of years ago with Tom second but I think he was ill that morning) so looking good for the State Masters in 3 weeks and National Masters Track champs soon after that!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Good on you Dalai, for the motor pace events you should go up a bit in the gearing otherwise you're left wanting. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:03 pm

dalai47 wrote:
Last race was a short motorpace. The pace picked up nicely till it was just Tom and me.
Leaper?
Are you the pursuit champion of Victoria Dalai?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Correct Tommeke. He is still an amazing rider! 8)

I was 2nd last year, so I'm not the current state pursuit champion. I did win the year prior though.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:50 pm

dalai47 wrote:Correct Tommeke. He is still an amazing rider! 8)

I was 2nd last year, so I'm not the current state pursuit champion. I did win the year prior though*.
Is there an asterix there Dalai?, (* in my age group)

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Thought that's a given piledhigher. I race Masters in State/National/Worlds... I'll leave the Elite licence to the young'uns. :wink:

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:06 pm

Not everyone knows who you are, actually I don't really either apart from online. Except maybe I raced against you a number of years ago and I definitely remember when Tom was a star at Blackburn and rising.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:18 pm

If I was good enough to have won the Elite Vic Track Pursuit, people would know who I am... :lol:

I only started racing Track back in 2008, so if you were there when Tom was a rising star I won't have raced against you.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:39 am

dalai47 wrote:
I only started racing Track back in 2008, so if you were there when Tom was a rising star I won't have raced against you.
Martin I met you in 2010 at the National Track Champs at DISC, I travelled down from Sydney as handler for 3 NSW riders. In the M2 points race we had Tom marked as the danger rider, my mate was able to lap the field twice to win with Tom placing a close second.
Talking of race reports, the M4 points race that year saw the most amazing display of riding Ive ever seen. Graham Albon took every sprint on offer and was miles ahead on points with 10 laps to go. To show why he was wearing the rainbow jersey he then decided to lap the field on his own for a futher 20 points. He rejoined the rear of the field as the bell rang for the final lap. So he weaved his way through everyone and won the final sprint as well, just for the hell of it. Best ride Ive ever seen!

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:07 am

Graham Albon's domination was amazing to watch! Coming down for the National Masters next month?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:50 am

dalai47 wrote:Graham Albon's domination was amazing to watch! Coming down for the National Masters next month?
At this stage No. Ive already had to ask my boss for time off work to fly to 2 other races in the next couple of months.