Track Bike Gallery

g-boaf

Re: Track Bike Gallery

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:34 pm

my new one. Picked it up this afternoon. I think the Trek Madone 4.5 is going to be finding a new owner. Need recover the costs somehow.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:20 pm

You got it bad, Chris. Nice bike. Hopefully the weather will be fine for its christening tomorrow or Friday.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:16 pm

Haha - you're not wrong. :D Bloody awesome. :lol:

Might need you guys to assist/advise on a few final adjustments to it when I bring it tomorrow night - like moving the rear wheel forward a bit. And those tyres have got to go. For me, whitewalls were done and dusted by the seventies (before I was born). I cannot live with those. Ruins the stealth look of the bike. :lol:

Here is hoping for some fine weather tomorrow night. I really want to get some proper runs on the board. :)

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:23 am

g-boaf wrote:those tyres have got to go. For me, whitewalls were done and dusted by the seventies (before I was born). I cannot live with those. Ruins the stealth look of the bike. :lol:
Congratulations! 8)

Further to the coloured tyres - these are usually death on timber tracks! More details...

http://www.aboc.com.au/Members/carl/car ... romes/view

I use Vittoria Diamante Pro Lights for training and racing on both timber and concrete when riding my clinchers.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 am

Dual compound tyres are also bad for the boards. One of my club-mates had a very bad time slipping all over DGV due to the transition between the compounds and the angle he was riding at (which can't be changed too much, given the circumstances).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:36 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Dual compound tyres are also bad for the boards. One of my club-mates had a very bad time slipping all over DGV due to the transition between the compounds and the angle he was riding at (which can't be changed too much, given the circumstances).
Thanks gents - I will swap them over with the Giant tyres I've got. They came with my road-bike and look like they'd perish at the first sight of glass or debris. Should be ideal for track. :lol: I'll bring some tools along with me just in case they are needed tonight.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:38 pm

That's one good looking bike Chris:) See you there tonight.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:12 pm

g-boaf wrote:few final adjustments to it when I bring it tomorrow night - like moving the rear wheel forward a bit.
I wouldn't go shortening the chain.

Wheel is already forward in the drop out. If go a shorter chain you won't be able to fit a bigger chain ring. It isn't a geared TT bike where the wheel hugs the frame - wheel can sit back or forward depending on the gearing on for that particular race.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:30 pm

dalai47 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:few final adjustments to it when I bring it tomorrow night - like moving the rear wheel forward a bit.
I wouldn't go shortening the chain.

Wheel is already forward in the drop out. If go a shorter chain you won't be able to fit a bigger chain ring. It isn't a geared TT bike where the wheel hugs the frame - wheel can sit back or forward depending on the gearing on for that particular race.
+1, don't shorten it unless it's actually necessary. Talk to Ian (club mechanic) at the track, he'll sort you out.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:09 pm

Done. Some changes had to happen already, the gearing was too low. That was fixed pretty fast. 48/14 now. That's better.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:31 pm

g-boaf wrote:Done. Some changes had to happen already, the gearing was too low. That was fixed pretty fast. 48/14 now. That's better.
Good news. Standard gearing for Lidcombe these days. Now you'll want to get some cogs (13, 14, 15) and chainrings (48, 49, 50). I don't think you'll be going for anything bigger than that unless you're pursuiting in a serious way, and even then probably not. You'll also need a chainwhip and a c-spanner, which you can get as a combo tool, plus a 15 mm spanner, which you can get as an open ended pedal spanner on one end and a 14/15 doublesided socket type spanner on the other end. And, of course, some allen keys. You'll pick these up over time, but they're things you should keep an eye out for.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:36 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm good for most tools, but the chainrings and the different cogs I don't have. They'll have to wait a little while. :lol:

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:08 am

You won't need them for a while, and people around abouts can throw a 15 cog at you so you can see the difference. Similarly for the chainrings. You'll notice the difference gearing can make when you go to DGV. See you on Friday.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:48 am

Already had the 15 cog on at first, the difference was huge. Spin spin spin as Murray Walker would say, all that effort for not very high speed. I soon as I got out and saw 30km/h at around 75rpm I knew that wasn't going to be right, and going quicker confirmed it right away. Swapping it with the 14 was much nicer (thanks Ian).

I'm having a look at the chart for the different options. But I'll go with what I've got and work on improving me.

I'm there on Friday - ready to be humbled. :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:44 am

I use veloflex records, both singles and clinchers on the track. In the past I've had contential supersonics. All good.

dalai, where did you get your front disk? What did it set you back?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:00 am

Front disc was bought locally as a set off ebay back in 2012 - paid the buy it now price of $850 for both wheels...

There was a set of Zipp 900 track discs that sold recently on ebay in Sydney for just over $1000, so they do appear for sale from time to time.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:11 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
IMHO you'd be better getting a 5 spoke front track wheel. You can use it in all track races and is just as good as a front disc in a pursuit.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Derny Driver wrote:is just as good as a front disc in a pursuit.
Where every millisecond counts, almost as good for pursuits would be my call... :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
IMHO you'd be better getting a 5 spoke front track wheel. You can use it in all track races and is just as good as a front disc in a pursuit.
I'm using a 90mm fast forward that's also used on my TT bike.

At the 2013 NSW M5 pursuit champs the first 3 were using double disks. Of course they were top riders regardless of the equipment.

I have 3 rear disk wheels, if I found a front one at the right price I could sell a rear to partially cover the cost
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:40 am

foo on patrol wrote:Well here is a shot of my old Hoffy Track Bike. It has my tied and soldered 28 spoke wheels with some new Hutchy strips freshly glued on today.

I am going to give it ride tomorrow morning on the Caboolture Velodrome.:)

Foo
I love your Hoffy Foo.

I love how steep the angles are and how little rake is on the fork. The trail must be huge. Would be nice and stable at speed but easy too change lines.

You must have long shanks and a short torso like me. I'm 178 cm tall but have a 783mm seat height. :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:54 am

Yeah SS long legs and it was good for sharp movements and stable at speed on rough tracks. :)

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:33 pm

Here's my Kerry Hopkins, fillet brazed out of Dedaccai Zero Uno. In the pic it has the deep carbon wheels for the state masters champs but normally it runs a set of hand built wheels using some beautifully smooth Mavic track hubs laced to black Campag Omega rims with aero spokes. This is my favourite bike in my shed. Every time I get on it, it feels fast and does what I want it to do (except go faster!)
I was hoping I'd have a set of old silver Shamals for it by now but thats still in progress, just waiting for the rear to be rebuilt.
I can't access most file sharing sites right now so I apologise about the dropbox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ohl0jol2uwaqqir/0WbnLyixnn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:55 pm

Nice tight angles on that mate.:cool:

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

HLC

Postby HLC » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Mine. You'll see me falling off the back of Div 4 at RAW because i never really pulled my finger out and got into form this year. 4 weeks in europe at the start of the season didn't help either lol

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:32 am

^^ I like! 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km