Building a bike for potential mild track use

Where speeds may exceed 60 kmph

Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby TomBikes » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:59 pm

I was planing to build a SS/Fixed geared bike using this frame. I then had second thought as to whether a 700c wheelset would fit. After a look around I saw this cheap frame. The original aim of the build was 1) build a bike and 2) have a second bike that I could use to race my brother with around the local crit track. Now, I'm thinking that I might want to try a bit of track stuff later on, so I was wondering if it would be better of saving up for a pricier, proper track frame such as this one or a nice steel frame. The only reason I thought it may be better was because the cheap frame may not/is probably not, track geometry. But for mild use would I be able to get away with just a cheap frame? Is a road still bottom bracket height really going to stuff me over?

If there are any other pointers that you could give me I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!
TomBikes
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:40 pm

by BNA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:18 pm

BNA
 

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby high_tea » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:18 pm

TomBikes wrote:I was planing to build a SS/Fixed geared bike using this [url=<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=d921af57bf25f12e&id=D921AF57BF25F12E!141&sff=1&authkey=!ANTmnRi2hU1KmQw]frame[/url"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>skydrive</span><span>.</span><span>live</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/?</span><span>cid</span><span>=</span><span>d921af57bf25f12e</span><span>&</span><span>id</span><span>=</span><span>D921AF57BF25F12E</span><span>!</span><span>141</span><span>&</span><span>sff</span><span>=</span><span>1</span><span>&</span><span>authkey</span><span>=!</span><span>ANTmnRi2hU1KmQw</span><span>]</span><span>frame</span><span>[/</span><span>url</span></a>]. I then had second thought as to whether a 700c wheelset would fit. After a look around I saw [url=<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/track-fixie-road-bike-frame-with-fork/TF]this[/url"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>cyclingdeal</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>.</span><span>au</span><span>/</span><span>buy</span><span>/</span><span>track</span><span>-</span><span>fixie</span><span>-</span><span>road</span><span>-</span><span>bike</span><span>-</span><span>frame</span><span>-</span><span>with</span><span>-</span><span>fork</span><span>/</span><span>TF</span><span>]</span><span>this</span><span>[/</span><span>url</span></a>] cheap frame. The original aim of the build was 1) build a bike and 2) have a second bike that I could use to race my brother with around the local crit track. Now, I'm thinking that I might want to try a bit of track stuff later on, so I was wondering if it would be better of saving up for a pricier, proper track frame such as [url=<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bike_accessories/specialized/frames/langster-pro-frameset/brighton/sa/102198194]this"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>bikeexchange</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>.</span><span>au</span><span>/</span><span>bike</span><span>_</span><span>accessories</span><span>/</span><span>specialized</span><span>/</span><span>frames</span><span>/</span><span>langster</span><span>-</span><span>pro</span><span>-</span><span>frameset</span><span>/</span><span>brighton</span><span>/</span><span>sa</span><span>/</span><span>102198194</span><span>]</span><span>this</span></a> one[/url] or a nice steel frame. The only reason I thought it may be better was because the cheap frame may not/is probably not, track geometry. But for mild use would I be able to get away with just a cheap frame? Is a road still bottom bracket height really going to stuff me over?

If there are any other pointers that you could give me I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!


One of the people I sometimes ride track with has a cheapie track frame. Not that particular one - they have a VISP of some description, I believe. The frame doesn't hold them back, not that I can tell. There are a couple of threads on here about those frames and I gather the message is the same: they go okay. Whether the same can be said of this particular frame, I don't know, but there doesn't seem to be anything inherently wrong with cheap track frames.
high_tea
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby TomBikes » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:51 pm

I'm all for cheaper quality products. What I've read though, is often cheaper frames are marketed as 'track frames' whilst having a more road like geometry. They do this because the main market is people who want to build city bikes. The track dropout just helps with the whole fixie/ss craze. I just don't want to find out my BB is to low the hard way.
TomBikes
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby high_tea » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 pm

TomBikes wrote:I'm all for cheaper quality products. What I've read though, is often cheaper frames are marketed as 'track frames' whilst having a more road like geometry. They do this because the main market is people who want to build city bikes. The track dropout just helps with the whole fixie/ss craze. I just don't want to find out my BB is to low the hard way.


Some velodromes are quite road-bike friendly. People ride road bikes all the time on a one near me (Caboolture, near Brisbane). I expect a board track would be another matter.
high_tea
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby scotto » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:38 pm

the Visps off ebay are great frames to start off with, and have proper track geometry. the one from cycling deal looks nasty.
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby TomBikes » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 pm

I can only find a complete fixie, dont want that.
TomBikes
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby brawlo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 am

If you're not in a hurry, I'd be watching the second hand market for something track orientated. Look for frames with drillings for brakes if you want to ride it on the street. If you're thinking of track racing, then this will be your best bet. Good packages come around for fair prices. Lots of fixies that I've seen around are track orientated frames. They will ride slightly harsher in general, but it all comes down to how much you'd use it outside of racing.
brawlo
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: Goulburn, NSW

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby tripstobaltimore » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 am

I was under the impression the langster didnt have a proper track geometry as well? Someone may correct me, as I haven't looked at the geometry, but remember hearing it soemwhere.

First thing I looked for was the BB drop on the cycling deal website, but its not listed. Hard to tell then whether it has the proper clearance. You'd be fine on a larger outdoor velodrome with shallow banks, but as said above, you wouldnt want to find out your BB was too low on a steep indoor track.
tripstobaltimore
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby TomBikes » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:39 am

Okay, so what is an I deal bb height? The bikes primary uses will getting around as well as racing with friends on the local track. It would just be nice to know that if I really did enjoy Velo riding I could get away with some minor upgrades to the bike and not have to purchase a new frameset. When you say 'fair' what does that mean price wise. Main reason I want to build a track bike is the fact that a lack of a groupset allows for a substantially cheaper build budget.
TomBikes
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby tripstobaltimore » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:03 am

I know my (track specific) bike has a BB drop of 55mm. Ive seen track bikes with less, but not sure about more drop than that. I roadie would have a BB drop around 70mm and above. With shorter cranks you can get away with greater drop.
tripstobaltimore
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby TomBikes » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:32 am

Okay, thanks. I'll try and give them a call and enquire but I reckon it'll be fairly likely that it will be of no help.
TomBikes
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby tripstobaltimore » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Yeah that's the best bet. I've found cycling deal to be pretty helpful when I've called.
tripstobaltimore
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby brawlo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:56 pm

TomBikes wrote:Okay, so what is an I deal bb height? The bikes primary uses will getting around as well as racing with friends on the local track. It would just be nice to know that if I really did enjoy Velo riding I could get away with some minor upgrades to the bike and not have to purchase a new frameset. When you say 'fair' what does that mean price wise. Main reason I want to build a track bike is the fact that a lack of a groupset allows for a substantially cheaper build budget.


As an example of BB drop, you've got the 55mm drop mentioned above, and y own is 45mm. The only time you will have a problem with BB drop is on a steep strack at low speed.

As for "fair" price, I mean you can get full bikes with some good upgraded bits for a good price or saving from new. Every now and again you can get one at a great price. Good quality track parts can last a long time. Do your research, there's plenty of info out there, and work out what you're aiming for component quality wise. You can avoid a fair bit of upgrading by buying smartly. Also don't forget the fixie crowd. As suggested above, there's a few good track style bikes getting around there. You can often get good track stuff cheaper from the fixie crowd.
brawlo
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: Goulburn, NSW

Re: Building a bike for potential mild track use

Postby HLC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:06 pm

You are better off picking up something like a new Specialized Langster pro. I know a few guys rocking these and are super happy with them. Cheaper than building if you plan on putting some half decent parts on.
User avatar
HLC
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney.


Return to Track

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit