RAW 2013 - June 14th

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: RAW 2013 - June 14th

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Alien27, do you have a race license?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Yes, I have been racing Waratah masters and LACC crit racing. C grade in both. I'm really keen to try track. The hard bit is the timing, evenings are hard, I have to get home feed and bath kids but if wifey gets home at reasonable time I can tag team and disappear for a few hours. I think she won't mind if I swap a sat or sun morning pass for a Friday night one.
Tom

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:03 pm

I've taken a look around on the RAW forum, but can't see it: how many more weeks of this are on? Is it purely winter, or does it stretch into spring a little? Gotta get my money's worth!

Jim

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:42 pm

This is week 9. Five more weeks to go. Finish 13th September. Last night is a great night - you have to be there.

This week is teams night, which is always fun. You should go up to div 5 so you can ride the italian at the end of the night.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks BFV. Cant make tonight, but will be there next week, then one on/one off to make the final night on the 13th.

Jim

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Last night is free belgian beer and pizza night.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Then I am definitely in!

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:18 am

familyguy wrote:Then I am definitely in!
You missed a good night on Friday Jim!!!

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:32 am

Friday night hurt......a LOT!

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:11 pm

I'll be there this friday. How did the teams racing go?

Jim

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Good fun, as it always is, though I was stuffed before I began and was just turning the pedals over. Kierens are always great and then we had either motorpaced miss and outs or miss and out points races. Brawlo would have had the miss and out points race, which is a cruel, cruel race, pretty much as bad as a winners race.
Highlight of the night was the Italian pursuits. Coming from a big outdoor track, LACCers get to practice these regularly and we know that the secret to the pursuit is a nice steady buildup of speed. If gaps form in your team you will burn the people behind the gap, and if someone can't make it and pulls out, the whole team loses - both situations happened.
Next week is the fat man's wheel race!

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:28 pm

This fat mans race looks interesting. I'm looking forward to it. I may go D5 just so I can do that. Time to get out of novice.

Jim

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:47 pm

familyguy wrote:This fat mans race looks interesting. I'm looking forward to it. I may go D5 just so I can do that. Time to get out of novice.

Jim
Jim, you're 8 feet tall and weigh 20kg. Stop rubbing it in. You've got no chance of qualifying.

Do div 5 anyway so you can do the Italian.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:15 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
familyguy wrote:This fat mans race looks interesting. I'm looking forward to it. I may go D5 just so I can do that. Time to get out of novice.

Jim
Jim, you're 8 feet tall and weigh 20kg. Stop rubbing it in. You've got no chance of qualifying.

Do div 5 anyway so you can do the Italian.
Edit: top 10 BMI race. Dang.

Jim

Nikko127

Postby Nikko127 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Ok, so looking at the roster and noticed that Sept 13th is the last so, Holiday is booked and I will be leaving Melbourne on way back early morning, driving all day and hope to be at the track around 4:30/5.

So can anyone give me some info on the night please?

I currently race track here in QLD as a master c grade in open events and B grade in local track racing (Only because that the lowest grade apart from Novice) Was thinking of entering CAT4 or 5. Never raced on boards, but have done a few meetings on a highbanked concrete track.

Also would I look like a dick if I bring my race wheels and disc as at the moment they are about all I have?

Any other info would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Nic

vander

Postby vander » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:01 pm

You wont be alone if you bring race wheels, plenty of people ride with discs. I will leave the info up to BFV he knows a lot more about all that than me. As far as grades go get there early (which it looks like you are going to) have a crack on the boards, if you are confident race Div 5 for the first race, see how it goes (plenty of local C graders race Div 5) if its too easy do the second race in Div 4, usually changing isnt a big problem.

Nikko127

Postby Nikko127 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:44 pm

OMGosh, how good is that!!! i hardly slept all night, .
I will never look at our drab outdoor concrete track the same ever again.

So now RAW is finished, what now?????

Also the guy taking pics, does he sell them?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:35 pm

LACC run track all summer on Friday nights. At the moment our velodrome is being resurfaced, but we're hoping for a November start.

There's also a RAW Christmas carnival that runs between Boxing Day and New Years and takes in DGV, Lidcombe, Hurstville and Tempe tracks.

Come and join us at Lidcombe in a few weeks, everyone's welcome. If you have kids, bring them too. Get them a license, bring their bike and get them hooked.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:06 pm

That was good fun. I should be back next season, and might make a couple of summer runs with a bit of luck. I had to skip out of the presentation after the videos and team presentation to get home, so I hope I didn't miss anything special?

Jim

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Jim, you didn't miss anything. I headed home right after the main presentations and, obviously, didn't see you to say bye. Thanks for signing up and giving it a go, especially since you joined LACC and not DHBC.

I expect to see you at Lidcombe in a few weeks. Bring the kids and the missus. Sausage sangas available, or bring cheese and wine for a more cultured repast. I can guarantee the kids will be begging you to get them a license and let them ride on the track there. (KIDZ license is $16. Wait until October to get one).

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Guys,

I have just stumbled across this thread...sounds like you guys have a load of fun on the track! I've been threatening to give racing of some sort a go one of these days, even to the point I have joined LACC. So far I have done the training rides at Homebush most Tuesday/Thursdays and am hooked on the pace and close riding they involve, otherwise have just been doing the recreational thing with the odd endurance event.

A couple of real newbie questions...

What does RAW stand for?

What is the best way to learn the ropes from signing on etc to getting ready to ride? Is there anyone at the events that can pick a newbie a mile off and show the ropes whether it be club crits or track events?

Cheers,

Phil.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Cossie Phil wrote:Hi Guys,

I have just stumbled across this thread...sounds like you guys have a load of fun on the track! I've been threatening to give racing of some sort a go one of these days, even to the point I have joined LACC. So far I have done the training rides at Homebush most Tuesday/Thursdays and am hooked on the pace and close riding they involve, otherwise have just been doing the recreational thing with the odd endurance event.

A couple of real newbie questions...

What does RAW stand for?

What is the best way to learn the ropes from signing on etc to getting ready to ride? Is there anyone at the events that can pick a newbie a mile off and show the ropes whether it be club crits or track events?

Cheers,

Phil.
Phil,
Welcome to the best club in Sydney.

RAW stands for Race All Winter and is a 14 week series run by Paul Craft at the Dunc Gray Velodrome. It's finished for the year, though there is a short 5 day Christmas version of it between Boxing Day and New Years.

To get onto the track, the best thing is to come out to Wyatt Park on a Wednesday night (when the velodrome has been rebuilt), say hello to me, Stel or Ian, we'll set you up with a track bike, take you around, explain the way it all works and then let you go nuts. Racing is on Friday nights over summer and they're great nights for all involved.

When you've had a bit of experience, you'll be gagging to get on the boards, which you can by racing with Bankstown when they have their series at Dunc Gray.

Keep an eye on the LACC newsletter and you'll see information about the track when we return there. Otherwise, give me a PM or keep an eye out for me at the bunch rides (I'll be showing up there for the next few weeks).

Cheers,
David

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks David.

Sounds like fun and probably a lot like what I enjoy at the Homebush pace mornings. It has been an interesting/educational journey working my way up through the groups over the last year, and though I haven't been down for many of the recovery rides recently its great to see so many happy to chat with someone they haven't seen before, which is one of the reasons I joined the LACC and not a more local club:)

I'll have some big shoes to fill if I venture onto the boards...some family history there from many years ago, but no doubt it will be a blast either way!

Regards,

Phil.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:38 pm

David,

Could this be Wyatt Park?

Cheers,

Phil.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Phil,
That would be it. Where did you get that? I suspect that's from the 30s. That's going in the newsletter. Are you related to the sprinter mentioned?

Edit: Checked through my email and, yes you are related - the nephew of Grant Pye. Sorry Phil, but this requires more info from you. I'm going to have to raid your archives, as the priest said to the librarian.