Track training thread - how was yours?

g-boaf

Re: Track training thread - how was yours?

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:32 am

They seemed to have 3 groups that night - a group down low on the black line, the normal speed regular group on the next line and the fast group up on the next line above that. Pretty crowded.

I don't know if that's the way it is now. I haven't been back to see.

The accident mentioned above happened exactly as described - I saw the whole thing. One guy slipped down the banking and two others were the next people to come along and couldn't take evasive action.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Thread dig. :mrgreen:

So I went into Caboolture to have some hurt at the Velodrome, seeing as it is only three weeks from my come back ride on the Track. (34yrs absence) :(

I did some work with Gerard O'Connell (54yr old) and a young bloke of 30yrs old. Well them being sprinters, they were always going make me look stoopid but my speed for two days a week of riding, I'm pretty happy with. :)

Now this Gerard O'Connell, only two weeks ago did, a 11.28sec flying 200mtr on Chandler Velodrome, not bad for a bloke in his mid 50s. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:03 pm

Went back to the Track again this afternoon to embarrass myself. :oops:

Almost got the position right, by adding a 130mm stem and will now just need to push the seat back another 5mm.

It's good when you can train with an X World Champ. :mrgreen: 8)

http://www.strava.com/activities/444505 ... 0685614555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 pm

Nice Foo! :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:16 pm

Another play with doing some starts. :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/458507322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:07 pm

Had a great hit this afternoon on the Velodrome. Tried out my new wheels and well, holy crap, :shock: do they feel so much better. Almost cracked 56kmh average for the 200mtrs = 13.5sec roughly. :D If I can knock another 1sec off that mark by the end of the year I will be very happy, given my restricted time that I get to ride. :wink:

Can happily say that I've almost got my position right, so happy days ahead. 8)

https://www.strava.com/activities/47623 ... 1425076712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foo
Goal 6000km

kb

Track training thread - how was yours?

Postby kb » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:10 am

[Edit. Whoops wrong thread]
Last edited by kb on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Been doing a lot of derny pacing in the lead up to state and national masters track titles. I won't need to buy my own coffee for a few months I reckon. Did 3 lots today including my new lady who wants to be a pursuiter and my brother. My brother (53) was hitting 61 kph on an 86 inch gear outdoor as he sprinted past the moto ...we did three 20 minute sessions averaging 48 kph each time.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Been doing a lot of derny pacing in the lead up to state and national masters track titles. I won't need to buy my own coffee for a few months I reckon. Did 3 lots today including my new lady who wants to be a pursuiter and my brother. My brother (53) was hitting 61 kph on an 86 inch gear outdoor as he sprinted past the moto ...we did three 20 minute sessions averaging 48 kph each time.
That would have been around 145rpm. :shock: But then again, he is a youngin. :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Not much younger than you foo lol

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:00 am

5yrs younger to be precise. :mrgreen: Lots happens to the body in that time but ya have to be a stubborn bastard and fight it. :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:46 pm

Gave Jayson and Danny an hour behind the derny this arvo, at 46kph average. Jayson was on 82 which means his cadence was around 120 for the hour.
Beautiful pedaller. Probably the best masters endurance track rider in Australia I reckon.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:00 pm

Well I've possibly completed my track training for 2016 (haven't trained track since about 2012, only raced). I'll bore you with the entire story;
Have put together a team for the NSW Team Pursuit track champs that consists of half of the road TTT team I was in and half of the other TTT team (the 2 fastest DHBC masters teams by quite a way, not that we should be considered fast, perhaps not as slow as the others) we have two issues;
1. there is no time slot that all 4 of us can ride together in
2. one rider has never ridden on the track, though he is used to fixed due to owning a fixie (what real cyclist doesn't own a fixie?)

So the solution is get the newbie to the Tempe which is a 38deg concrete track, get him use to the banking and then send him to Dunc Grey to get use to 42deg banking. Now the problem is that 2 of us work in the evenings so we can't turn up to track training on Mon or Wed nights. However I can turn up on Wednesday at 8.15pm, so a plan was hatched;
1. the new rider (who's name remains a secret as he's a member of BNA) and the other available rider would turn up at 7.30 and the new rider would learn the banking under his guidance.
2. I turn up at 8.15 and go out on the track with him, teach him (at moderate speed) how to roll from the front to the bank using the banking to provide the energy to get back on (unlike road where you need to effectively ride back on)

Now everyone knows that 'plan' is a four letter word and indeed that was the case as I came down with mild food poisoning on Tuesday night, managed to survive my 5.40pm spin class using almost no load and my 7.30pm Pilates class (spent most of the time correcting technique :) ). Managed to get my 6am spin class and 9.30am Pilates class covered, slept into 10am, woke up and decided that I'll do my 5pm spin class and 6.45pm aqua class but not turn up to the velodrome afterwards. However as the day progressed the answer went from no to maybe and after my classes I said yes, drove past home and picked up my track bike + gear (which was already packed) and hit the track.

Arriving I find out that the newbie had spent a while before getting use to the banking but had mastered the art so it was time to hit step 2, I went out, got the newbie to learn swapping, so I showed him how to roll up the track and roll down, while the other team member stood there and gave him feedback every lap. Eventually he got it sorted, he did real good for a first time on the track.

So we decided to do a couple of practice starts, we tried a couple of things to familirise him with starting which didn't work (our fault, not his) but in the end we got it right, he slotted in behind me as we accelerated. His comment afterwards was how much easier that time was.

Should be noted that his gearing was really low, we will get a chance to address that at the next session as he now has the bits, he may find the new gearing an issue for starts, but the plan is to have him as 4th bike, so to give him 3 bike lengths grace at the start.

For me despite recovering from mild food poisoning, I did manage to get a couple of practice starts incorporating some the advise that Derny and others have given and and more importantly I was able to test out my busted ankle in a track start and have declared it OK for starts, I tried starting with both legs leading to see what would happen and have given it the seal of approval and that was with 50-14, I have ordered a 48 to lower the gearing as cadence is not an issue with me.

Oh and by this time it was 9.15pm. leave passes had expired (not mine) so didn't get a chance to put my TT handlebar assembly on and try that, which I have purchased an adjustable stem to replace the pista stem as even with the pista stem its too high.

So the plan going forward is;
1. train together on Saturday afternoon, which as been derailed due to not being able to secure a velodrome
2. newbie turn up to DGV on Monday night (by himself) and get use to wood)
3. train again Wednesday night. The 4th guy has proposed taking the night off work. I don't want him to loose income, will talk to him. While I think the riders in the team are quick enough to perhaps challenge for NSW bronze [they should ban ACT from NSW :) ] the reality is that would require a decent slab of training together and as we all work different hours there is too much cost to make it worth while going for the bronze.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:26 pm

I take it Mike, that you would be looking at...48x13, not 14? :?:

You really need to get all the team together and do some full length Pursuits and stop making excuses for why you can't get together, as that is the only way, that you will gel as a team!!!! :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:13 am

48x14

One guy is talking taking the day off work so we can train. Other option is to try to book the velodrome, which isn't so easy

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:32 am

That's a low gear by todays standards Mike. :shock: I would have thought at least, a 96" for a Team Pursuit. :?

Foo
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:21 am

foo on patrol wrote:That's a low gear by todays standards Mike. :shock: I would have thought at least, a 96" for a Team Pursuit. :?

Foo
yeah foo our TP use 98 or bigger

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:53 am

My situation is a little different to most, I do 10 - 15 spin classes a week, plenty of high cadence training means I'm better than most at spinning out and usually race with rooted legs

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:19 pm

Mike I took my womens TP team to DGV today for training. No-one there!! Awesome. Got plenty of drills and practice in.
You can get in there on Saturdays if you book.
Its an hour and a half drive up for us so we wont come up again until the champs, we will finalise our training at Unanderra velodrome.
Get your guys over there to practice!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:01 pm

Now that's idea, who do I contact?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Ring cnsw office at the velodrome mate.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:54 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Ring cnsw office at the velodrome mate.
That's easier, I was thinking it might of been Bankstown council or Bankstown cycling club

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:31 am

What a headache, spoke to James at CNSW and CNSW only controls the track during office hours. After office hours its the Bankstown club or something and in the weekend its NSWIS. The cost during office hours is $20 per rider for a a two hour block, minimum 8 riders so that's $160. However one of our riders can't ride during office hours so we would have to do it at 6am Tuesday (the only morning I don't work) and because that before office hours that's $30 each * 8 min. Also 6am is pretty early for one rider if finishes work at something like 10 or 11pm in the middle of nowhere. So like many good plans its been put to rest and we will do Tempe 8.15pm on a Wednesday :) the Newbie will learn wood by himself

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 20, 2016 12:23 pm

Ipswich Club are having Track training of a Friday night, from today. Yeehah :D

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 20, 2016 11:34 pm

First training session done and dusted. A bit knackered after it but was fun. :mrgreen:

https://www.strava.com/activities/58196 ... 4148965329

Foo
Goal 6000km