Track training thread - how was yours?

foo on patrol

Re: Track training thread - how was yours?

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 21, 2016 6:23 am

After a couple hours of sleep and reflection on the training session on 101.7" gear at the end, (started on 88 then 94) I think I will be able to get this gear motoring along nicely. :wink:

The session had 3 Italian pursuits in it (a first for me) and then I did a flying 200mtr at the end of the session but without the proper build. At 14.6sec (pathetic hey) it was 3.3sec slower than when I was a youngin :shock: and makes me now realise how much quicker I was back then. :wink: So I have a starting point to work from with improvement to come.

Next on the start list will be the 2000mtr Pursuit, which will my main goal at the 2018 Masters Titles, so I still have 18mths of improvement to come and hopefully get a couple of extra rides in each week, once the bike rack is fitted to the sleeper cab of the truck. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat May 21, 2016 6:08 pm

foo on patrol wrote:After a couple hours of sleep and reflection on the training session on 101.7" gear at the end, (started on 88 then 94) I think I will be able to get this gear motoring along nicely. :wink:

Foo
Mate I think you have overdosed on the NoDoze :D
Thats the gear that the National All Age masters TEAM pursuit use indoors, there's 4 of them and they are 20 years younger than you.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 21, 2016 9:57 pm

Yeah well, I have a plan and that is to build up to it, over the next 18mths. :P

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:58 pm

Another night at Chandler last night. the sprint work makes me hurt big time but the Italian Pursuit at the end was much more fun. :mrgreen:

https://www.strava.com/activities/626837490

Then today, back to Caboolture Velodrome for some more hurtin. :mrgreen:

https://www.strava.com/activities/62716 ... 5310566365

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:32 pm

Surprising how much better you can maintain speed, when ya bottom bracket spins freely! :lol:

I had two sessions of Track work this weekend. One at Chandler on Friday night and one yesterday at Caboolture. I was at Caboolture with Gerard O'Connell, World Masters Sprint Champion in about 2006 I think it was and he does sprint work (stating the bleeding obvious, I know) and is good to try and stay with. :wink: Me not being a sprinter but an endurance rider (well back in my younger days of riding Aces/Elite) I view this as a necessity for training on the Track/Road as it is pointless being there at the end, if you can't finish it off. :idea: Hurts like crap but the gains over the the year is good. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:23 pm

After three weeks of the flu, I jumped at the chance to go down to Chandler for some Track training and especially seeing as my new frame turned up. 8) It is an 2014 Azzurrie Sprint frame and well holy crap, it is so much better than the Fuji that I had been riding. Even right from the very start, whilst sorting the position on it, it was way better. :D

We started with 5x200mtr standing start sprints with two laps in between and then 3X100mtr flying sprints with two laps in between. :shock: Well after the third standing start sprint, I was starting to dry retch and then it just got worse, with me standing over on the back straight, trying to make my internal organs come out of my mouth. :lol: Bloody hell they hurt and me not being a sprinter, it hurt more. :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:08 pm

foo on patrol wrote: We started with 5x200mtr standing start sprints with two laps in between and then 3X100mtr flying sprints with two laps in between. :shock: Well after the third standing start sprint, I was starting to dry retch ... :(
Foo
No wonder. Whose idea was that?
Our club track coach who is about 8 time world champion or something (in Manchester he won sprint, pursuit, 500TT in world record time and scratch) would never recommend that - for anyone.
He and I only ever get our riders to do half laps from standing starts and then we would have a good 7 or 8 minute break before the next one. 6 maximum. Then a good warm down behind the moto.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:00 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
foo on patrol wrote: We started with 5x200mtr standing start sprints with two laps in between and then 3X100mtr flying sprints with two laps in between. :shock: Well after the third standing start sprint, I was starting to dry retch ... :(
Foo
No wonder. Whose idea was that?
Our club track coach who is about 8 time world champion or something (in Manchester he won sprint, pursuit, 500TT in world record time and scratch) would never recommend that - for anyone.
He and I only ever get our riders to do half laps from standing starts and then we would have a good 7 or 8 minute break before the next one. 6 maximum. Then a good warm down behind the moto.
A certified accredited coach. :wink: Yeah I thought it was a bit to full on and then I heard him saying how most where not doing the full 200&100mtr efforts and tapering off before the end. I thought to myself, well stuff me, my friggin legs have turned to jelly and I'm dry retching like no tomorrow, what do ya expect, I've given it my all. :? I watched as the others were rolling around and most of them were doing them evry three laps. :evil:

Foo
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:17 pm

What Foo has done sounds a lot like what I use to do on rollers, a long time ago when I actually did specific training. What DD describes is probably closer to what I did training on the track, as there would be a queue for the Standing 200mtr sprints making it something like 5mins inbetween. Destroyed a bike practicing a standing start once, my cleat broke, 20mtrs into it, I went over the handlebars but took the bike with me and the bike somersaulted down the track breaking the seat and both wheels.

Anyway my training plan this season was to race in Wollongong but a sickie put end to that, so I'm thinking of turning up for LACC Friday night racing at Lidcome oval once or twice. I'd arrive late as I've got a spin class in the gym, but better late than not at all
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:25 pm

I did threshold training for the first time last night. :shock: It was for 20mins and my heart rate average to maximum limits was spot on. 8) The coach was a little surprised when I said the highest that I had seen was 20bpm. He then asked how long ago was this and I said about four months ago. He was stunned because of my age. :lol:

Gotta say, my legs were starting to be on the verge of cramping after 10mins but I dropped my heels a bit more and kept them at bay. :wink: I finished harder than I started but that is how I normally ride a TT style ride.

The body wa very secondhand this morning. :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:31 am

Went down to Chandler for the first training session of the year on the boards. Legs were toast after yesterday mornings road session but started to come a little better after an hour but doing sprint jumps, I broke a spoke on the rear. :shock: :( My start to the year, as far as biking goes, has not gotten any better. That's eight flats, one blow out and a broken spoke. :cry:

Off back down there this morning for another 2hr session, on my good wheels. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km