Wheel Upgrade Advice Please?

Where speeds may exceed 60 kmph

Wheel Upgrade Advice Please?

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:08 pm

Guys, I'm interested to here what you would recommend as a first upgrade to race on. Something that would be good indoor and outdoor so regular changes aren't necessary. Tubular or Clincher?

I'm a beginner and have landed in 'B' after a few weeks sorting my grade, not sure if that would be relevant to wheel choice. The bike is a Felt TK3 running upgraded bars stem and cranks, but still has the factory/heavy wheels on board.

Cheers,

Phil.
Cossie Phil

by BNA » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:04 pm

BNA

Re: Wheel Upgrade Advice Please?

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:04 pm

I can't help with any advice here other than to get stiff wheels in a Tubular. I still have my old track wheels, which are not applicable these days. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:04 pm

Tubulars you would need to run something like a Vittoria Corsa Cx for indoor /outdoor, if you buy clinchers you can run something like a Continental GP Supersonic 20mm which are solid enough for outdoors and grippy enough for boards. The advantage of clinchers is that you can easily swap your normal outdoor road tyre for a good light indoor tyre like Veloflex Record, should the need arise.
If I was you I would keep the standard wheels for outdoor track use, and look for some second hand carbon tubbies for indoor. Or a cheap track disc wheel and an old 404 front. Put some Vittoria Piasta Evos on them.
A good bloke to speak to would be Greg from TWE Taren Point. He builds nice track wheels. His TWE deep dish ones are very nice and can be used indoor and outdoor. Or he will do you a rear disc / front 5 spoke combo for around 2 grand which is awesome, if you are doing serious indoor racing.
Derny Driver

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:16 pm

Thanks DD, TWE is a name that keeps popping up. I guess it's not all that often I will be mixing both indoor and outdoor in the same week. It's only happening at the moment leading up to the Masters Team Pursuit Champs. Is it worth going disc at such an early stage?
Cossie Phil

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:00 pm

Cossie Phil wrote:Thanks DD, TWE is a name that keeps popping up. I guess it's not all that often I will be mixing both indoor and outdoor in the same week. It's only happening at the moment leading up to the Masters Team Pursuit Champs. Is it worth going disc at such an early stage?

Being in Sydney, you might as well keep an eye out for good second hand wheels suitable for DGV. I picked up (on here) a beautiful track / road disc wheel very cheap, my young bloke uses it for road Time Trials, and I switch the axle for when he rides at DGV. The front is just an old 1990 model Zipp 404 with a Pista Evo on it, gets used once or twice a year so I don't feel the need to buy anything better. I borrowed a mates 5 spoke for him to use in the State pursuit last year.
Good wheels are nice but they don't make a huge difference outdoors. Indoors, fast wheels are great but it depends on how financial you are. Have a look at the Track cycling marketplace on fb, or Ebay etc ... if you spot something suitable grab it. Otherwise it doesn't hurt to wait, use your stock wheels, borrow wheels until you get a bit better and more experienced.
I wont be at the Team Pursuits this weekend, I'll be at a race in Tassie with my son, but good luck. TP with some mates is always fun.
Derny Driver

Postby brawlo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:17 pm

If you know a good wheelbuilder or can do it yourself, then perhaps source everything yourself. I've just had a set of 88mm tubs built. Laced to Dura ace hubs (so a 28/28 spoke set but I'm a big unit) with CXray spokes and with Vittoria Corsa CX tubs glued on. The pair cost me about $950 and that includes tyres and gluing on and full build. I was looking at just a FFWDF9T front, but went down this path instead and ended up with a pair for only a bit more than a single front.
brawlo

Return to Track