Derny Driver

Re: RAW 2014

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm

artson wrote:RAW Track Season done

Rider numbers Ok averaging 90.2 per night
Could be better
any thoughts !
Hi Crafty
Mate I don't want to criticise, because what you are doing is obviously highly successful and very popular. I didn't make it up this year due to a number of factors, the main thing being that I live an hour and a half's drive away. Last time I brought my young bloke to RAW, he got to do a grand total of 20 laps for the entire night which I don't think is enough incentive to go.
The best nights I think are the ones with the warm up scratch races with the 4 best each grade going into the wheelrace. I like that format.
But how about next year, you just put on one race per division: a 100 lap points race for Div1, 100 for Div 2, 80 laps each for Div 3 and 4, and 60 lap scratch for Div 5.
Just one decent race would be incentive enough to come. Obviously there are time constraints but its only 5 races and they go quick once riders are on the track.
I make that roughly 30 mins for each race.
As it is, RAW suits unfit sprinter types. A decent enduro night once in a while would be good.
My 2 cents.
Keep up the great work :)

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Paul,

is there a curfew? I guess that question leads to asking can the night run longer? I also like the idea of an enduro night like DD suggests:) I'd be happy to do more races or longer races in a night. Regardless, I'm back next year!! After a few noob errors this year like the miss'n'out kierin, I'll be sure to study Wikipedia and be up on the rules for next year;)

Cheers,

Phil.

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Just an idea but if endurance races are wanted why not finish the night with a 30 min teams race where the two riders in each team need a pre agreed combined age this would suit the riders that can still ride a madison but might seem a little long in the tooth pairing up with a younger rider with less experience thus imparting valuable knowledge in the process, and any spectators on hand get to watch the best race on the track next to a derny.Its how i learnt and i imagine many others but one thing everyone agreed on was it was great fun all round.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks Paul - another great season. And for some reason it's really popular with Dulwich Hill riders, despite it often taking about an hour to get there. I'm sure nobody wants too many more Dulwich Hill riders but if you like I can do a survey of those who came this year and find out what draws them (us) to RAW. One of the juniors was complaining this afternoon that her parents would never let her stay for the combines so I'm not sure going too late would work for them.

I do know that what works for us is promoting RAW and excitement about it within the club and junior track training. We see it as an event that the club does together and we will do pre-RAW Saturday training for newbies. No - none of them were actually homeless :-)

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:23 pm

Going later would be OK for the Sydney riders, but there are a lot of riders coming from further afar like myself. As it stands, I would rarely get home before 11:30.

I'm one of those unfit sprinter types (although this year I have been at my fittest) that DD refers to, and I would put forward the suggestion that RAW is better suited to those types. The flat out enduros are better suited to the road racing through the winter than us unfit sprinter types. Perhaps next season you could try incorporating an "enduro night" into the program to test the waters for interest. The real problem with that is that you are turning up to race just one race, one winner, so I'd question the level of interest, but there may be no harm in trying.

For me personally, I thought the sponsored (great Babici!) keirin racing was somewhat of a success this season. The first week (week 3 I think) was the only week I was able to head down this season unfortunately, but I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout. Obviously I can't comment on any other weeks.

I like the format as it stands. Good variety, although even in a perfect world, due to distance I can only do 4-6 race nights.