New wheels for return to track racing.

mtbboy41

New wheels for return to track racing.

Postby mtbboy41 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi all,
I am returning to track racing after a long break (about 25 years). I sold everything I owned and so have started off with a new Fuji which is a far better bike than anything I ever road years ago. My local track (Newtown in Hobart) is essentially asphalt so I am happy to race and train on the high pressure clinchers that came on the bike. I will be visiting the Silverdome in Launceston and want to have a pair of singles to use there. In the old days I used to race on Clement no 1 and No 3 singles (can anyone remember them ?) on superlight Fiamme Sprint rims but that was a lot of years (and Kgs ago). I am interested in some carbon rimmed wheels and can either buy components and build my own wheels or buy a package. One of my road bikes is a generic Chinese carbon frame direct from the manufacturer and has been a pretty good experience so I have no problem with carbon items from china if they have some good feedback. Long story short- does anyone have experience with track wheels (or rims) from china and can recommend a good supplier. I am after 50 mm rims with probably 20 or 24 radially spoked front wheels and single sided rear hub 28 spokes cross 2 on both sides. Recommendations for hubs would be great too. I notice that all the cheaper hubs seem to be sealed bearings. I used to have campag high flanged hubs which I would remove all the grease and 1 bearing each side. I would run them with sewing machine oil and redo after each race day. They span like a dream and sounded great too. Current weight is 92 KG (down from 106 but a long way from original racing weight of 78Kg :-))
Anyway, enough reminiscing. Any input or even offers of appropriate wheels would be greatly appreciated .
Cheers
David

KGB

Re: New wheels for return to track racing.

Postby KGB » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:00 pm

Maybe give Greg Ryan a yell at TWE. He's in Sydney but is a good wheel builder.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Lots of good stories about TWE floating around, so that can't be a bad thing.

I myself, at the beginning of this year, went for Light Bicycle 88mm 28/28 tubs with cxray spokes to Dura Ace hubs. Sourced all components myself and had LBS mech build them up and glue on Vittoria CX tubs all for under $1k including the tyres. It may be a little more now with the dollar not quite as good. The mech did some work with Zipp and had nothing but praise for the quality of the LB rims in comparison.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:03 pm

Yikes your new Fuji weighs 92 kgs..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
OI onya bike!!!

mtbboy41

Postby mtbboy41 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:18 pm

No... Thats my weight. Thanks for the replies so far. I like the feedback on the light Bicycle rims and that is the sort of info I am after. I have been building my own wheels for years so have no problems with that. keep the recommendations coming.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:40 am

Try reading through the Chinese carbon thread in the Road Biking forum if you haven't already.

As for sealed bearing hubs, all you really need is a decent quality hub body that you like the look of. The bearings are generic sizes that you can get from any machine shop, so you can upgrade them to any level that you're happy with. Stock ones that come with most hubs can be had for a only a few $$. Even the better brand name hubs use basic and cheap bearings. Although it does sound like you enjoyed tinkering in the past, and if you still do, then loose bearing hubs may treat you better. I went with the shimanos because of the double thread.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:06 pm

mtbboy41 wrote:Hi all,
I will be visiting the Silverdome in Launceston and want to have a pair of singles to use there. In the old days I used to race on Clement no 1 and No 3 singles ....
Cheers
David
gee mate you must old !
If you want the lightest fastest track specific equivalent of a Clement silk, then get yourself some Vittoria Evo Pista's. Cost about a hundred bucks each and they come in 19 and 22mm. Most guys use 19. Only for fast indoor boards, they wouldnt last a lap on concrete.

mtbboy41

Postby mtbboy41 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Hey now dont be rude :-) 53 isn't all that old. Did most of my racing on the old St Leonards board track. 250 m around and steep as in the bends. The boards were perpendicular to the direction of the track with gaps between them. It was like racing on a picket fence. Don't think I want the fastest or lightest. I was just trying to put my experience in to perspective. I'll continue my search for some hubs and rims. Brawlo have the rims performed well? did you buy direct, ebay or alibaba?

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Rims ave been so far so good. I only had them built early Feb and so used them for a track carnival, club champs and rode a lacklustre state masters sprint on them. The wheels performed well, but I didn't so much. I was a bit iffy about running them at first because the big front would be a handfull in crosswinds, but I'm a big guy and I quickly came to terms with how to deal with them in a crosswind.

I bought them direct from Light Bicycle http://www.light-bicycle.com/wider-700C ... 6OwfrEh2Kw I was able to spec them without the brake track treatment which gives a cleaner look for the track. https://www.flickr.com/photos/66693011@N04/12417981765/

mtbboy41

Postby mtbboy41 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks Brawlo. What frame is that?

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:52 am

Alien V3, no longer made. 61cm top tube, so I'm a bit screwed if it breaks!

mtbboy41

Postby mtbboy41 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Looks Flash! Decided on 50mm Light Bicycle carbon rims in ud matt without a brake track. Orde ris now underway. Also ordered some new shimano high flange hubs from Track Supermarket. Still have to decide on spokes. Wouldn't mind trying the Pillar Aero ones. Anyone know a source in Australia?

davo

Postby davo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:30 am

Does anyone know of a cheaper carbon rim with a higher recommended tyre pressure than 120 psi for a tubular?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:01 pm

mtbboy41 wrote:Hi all,
I am returning to track racing after a long break (about 25 years).

Any input or even offers of appropriate wheels would be greatly appreciated .
Cheers
David
Did you have a budget in mind for complete wheels?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

mtbboy41

Postby mtbboy41 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Wheels all done . Light Bicycle 50 mm carbon rims with Dura Ace 32 hole high flange track hubs and Sapim c-xray spokes. Total cost was just on $800 and they built up beautifully. Just putting the first coats of glue on the tyre and rims. (Gee the Vittoria Mastik 1 is hard to track down!)

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:05 pm

davo wrote:Does anyone know of a cheaper carbon rim with a higher recommended tyre pressure than 120 psi for a tubular?
Only because I've got them, but my Light Bicycle 88mm tubs are apparently good for 160psi although they list a "Cycling Tyre Pressure" of 120psi http://www.light-bicycle.com/wider-700C ... A6JymOTCfA

I have run them at about 170psi on the boards once with no detrimental effect, but typically I rode them outdoor and ran 140-150psi