Track bike for junior

rtnicho

Track bike for junior

Postby rtnicho » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:57 am

Hi all
Am looking for a track bike for a very tall 11 year old.
I have checked out earlier posts on this topic.
Any thoughts about these two from Prolite?

http://kotavelo.com.au/store/pista-track-bike.html
http://kotavelo.com.au/store/products/c ... -bike.html

Is the Trentino $400 better?

Or other options. Am scanning the Facebook page and Gumtree as well.

Cheers
Roger

foo on patrol

Re: Track bike for junior

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:36 pm

Neither one says what spec wheels or cranks are on them. :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:52 pm

Friend of mine bought the Pista for her daughter. Its a great bike. Beautiful actually.
I would recommend it for sure.
At 11 the kid is sort of between kids Hillbrick bike size and adult size. The Pistas have a great range of sizes.

rtnicho

Postby rtnicho » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:37 am

Thanks for your replies
The Cranks on both bikes are Pro-Lite branded, the wheels are Pro-Lite Rosa A30 (Previously named Rosa P33) the tyres are Vittoria clinchers. Both alloy frames with Carbon forks. The Trentino has an aero frame and a more expensive fork with a tapered steerer.
i.e., the only difference is the frame & fork. Is the aero bizzo worth $400? ($749 versus $1149 delivered)
I think the small ones would be ok for him his road bikes are a size 46 Ridley (Ridleys run very large) and a Cannondale in a 52 (which is a wee bit big for him ATM.
Thanks again

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:15 am

rtnicho wrote: .......the only difference is the frame & fork. Is the aero bizzo worth $400? ($749 versus $1149 delivered)
Frame and fork on a track bike is an extremely minor factor. You can basically run any frame and fork you like (steel, alloy etc) and throw on some nice wheels and get a good result. I would spend money on wheels, not a frame / fork. My brother has dozens of State track titles on his Giant Omnium (with my good wheels on it) and my mate won a world title on a basic aluminium Argon 18.
Aero frame ? Phhttt
No

Grab the cheaper one and then keep an eye out for the holy grail of junior track wheels, Gipiemme Technos or Old school deep dish Shamals. He must run clinchers and is not allowed disc wheels or 5 spokes or things like that. Put the extra 400 towards good aero wheels.

rtnicho

Postby rtnicho » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:04 am

Thanks Derny
I've just remembered I've got a single speed wheel set in the garage. It's a Mavic Open Pro - 32 Spoke DT laced to a Formula Hub. Where do these rate on the spectrum from boat anchor to Shamals (responses will not offend).
Cheers

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:23 pm

rtnicho wrote:Thanks Derny
I've just remembered I've got a single speed wheel set in the garage. It's a Mavic Open Pro - 32 Spoke DT laced to a Formula Hub. Where do these rate on the spectrum from boat anchor to Shamals (responses will not offend).
Cheers
Mate I rate them highly. On an outdoor concrete track they would be right up there. My 20 year old son uses a similar wheel for outdoor tracks. 32 spokes are nice and stiff in the bends and the rims are bulletproof, yet reasonably light.
I used Open Pros for road racing and they were brilliant. I won a lot of races on them, including bunch sprints and hill climb championships. Many people only think of them as a good training wheel but I think they are very underrated.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Personally, I reckon most track wheels are the same. If the hub is properly adjusted, and the spoke tension is reasonable, then a lowly Quando could be as good as a Shamal. Of course lighter rims will let you accelerate that little bit faster, and aero rims will be better too.

The Formula/Open Pro combination would should be a lighter wheelset than the Shamals, but not as aero. Then again, weight isn't much of an issue on the track as you're not gaining any elevation. The Formula hubis a 'cheaper' hub, but I wouldnt be able to feel a difference between how well my Shamals roll compared to Formula hubs.

I reckon the Miche Pistard is the most value for money wheelset at ~$300. Cheap, aero ish, and a good wheelset overall.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:51 am

I'm with DD, get the cheapie and and add good wheels and rubber. At 11yrs old, the frame will mean ratsarse in the big scheme of things, sweet rolling wheels and rubber is the go for me. :wink: :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km