Amsterdam 6 day

fat and old

Amsterdam 6 day

Postby fat and old » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:22 am

Watched day/night two last night on telly. First time I've watched one.

I'm a fan. Dunno if there's any comparison, but I'm off to Darebin tonight :)

find_bruce

Re: Amsterdam 6 day

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:10 am

Derny Driver will be along shortly to explain how it is just a shadow of the 6 day events where the riders actually rode for 6 days :D

But yes, its still pretty good
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:30 am

No biggie. I'm just a shadow of my former self, so it works for me! :D

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:25 am

find_bruce wrote:Derny Driver will be along shortly to explain how it is just a shadow of the 6 day events where the riders actually rode for 6 days :D

But yes, its still pretty good
haha :D :D
My book 'sixdayman' will be printed before Christmas. I will put a post up on BNA when the time comes. In the 50's sixdaymen did 600km a day per team (300km each daily) on 3 hours sleep per person. Mad stuff.

In 2005 I was invited to the Gent Six by Patrick Sercu and Roger DeMaertelaere the organisers, and was given seats right on the finish line. I went every night for 6 nights. If you think a Six looks good on video, you should experience one first hand. Absolutely nuts. There is nothing in Australia that even goes close. Incredible. Its a cross between a rock concert and a bike race. There were these mad Swiss supporters who had 1 metre round cow bells strapped to their bodies, they were completely wasted by 8pm courtesy of the under track bars (many people just hang the bars and don't watch the race) and the noise of 20 of these chaps ringing bells, people blowing whistles, air horns, the derny motorbikes, the crowd standing on the chairs ....then in between races the local men's magazine swimsuit models come out and have a race around the track on miniature bikes. The old belgies sitting near me seemed to like that. We got thrown a bunch of flowers from the Dutch pair who won a race and had noticed we were cheering for them. I met, shook hands and chatted with Rik Van Looy, Eddie Merckx .... I wont go on any more. I have no interest in seeing the Tour de france or riding up Alps in a tour group, but another Six Day is number 1 on my bucket list. Maybe next year.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:26 am

Be honest - you'd be going for the Belgian beer. :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:06 pm

A six day is a cross between a rock concert and a bike race...
https://www.facebook.com/maas.vanbeek.3 ... 646467314/