What do you reckon about these track wheels?

rtnicho

What do you reckon about these track wheels?

Postby rtnicho » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:49 am

Hi all
I am after some new wheels for a junior track racer (i.e., no carbon, no tubs)
Combination of indoor and outdoor velodrome riding.
What do you think of these?
http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=2698

He likes his bling.... But they look pretty heavy to me. I'd like to get a few years out of the hubs and then change the rims to carbon when he's allowed to.
Cheers
Roger

dalai47

Re: What do you reckon about these track wheels?

Postby dalai47 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 pm

White Industry hubs are nice but use a splined cog. If your other wheels use threaded cogs you will need to double up on these.

I'd suggest looking closer to home and consider the Gipiemme Pista wheels with the 716 rims. Gipiemme were the rim supplier for the original Campagnolo Shamals.

http://www.kirraweecycles.com.au/viewca ... groupid=35

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:08 pm

rtnicho wrote:
He likes his bling.... But they look pretty heavy to me. I'd like to get a few years out of the hubs and then change the rims to carbon when he's allowed to.
Cheers
Roger
Juniors have limited options and so bling really needs to wait until he is older.
I think those wheels are too heavy.
My son rides track, has done since 15. He uses standard clincher rims with good hubs, and they have served us well. As a Junior you are on the fixed gearing so a single sided hub is okay, but if you want to use it when you are an u19 or older a flip flop hub is important because we always warm up on the 15 and then flip the wheel for the 14. So I would look for a standard set of wheels with a flip flop hub. When he gets older he can keep these clinchers for the concrete tracks and buy some carbon bling for the indoor tracks. My son has a nice pair of carbon 5 spokes and a track disc. But you still need those workhorse clinchers. Put good tyres on them and you can ride them indoor and outdoor.
Changing the rims to carbon seems a bit odd. Now you've just limited your options. You need a set of standard aluminium clinchers, and a pair of carbon tubs (later).
In my opinion.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Those are proper heavy wheels. You can even get the ProLite Rosa wheelset for less than half that price, which are heavy in themselves and yet still lighter than those wheels. I ride them for training. Our club juniors ride TWE wheels that look to be built around a Kinlin XR300 rim. Fairly light for a 30mm rim. Those Gipiemme wheels are a good option too, remembering that the old shamal tests as aero as Zipp 808 on an indoor track.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:55 am

There is this bloke at Lawnton QLD that can make customs for you. :wink: He makes very good and strong wheels, he used to be the wheel builder for Velocity, until they moved to US.

http://craftworx.com.au/craftworx-track-wheels.html

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km