New rider frame size question

bozac

Postby bozac » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi,

I had a come and try session at the track today (Chandler) and I think I was riding a 56cm hillbrick frame. I'm 183cm tall and locally there is a size M Fuji track comp for sale for a decent price. The top tube is 55cm according to the size chart, will that frame likely be too small for me? I realise there are a lot of variables in bike fit but I wasn't sure if longer stems etc are the done thing in track cycling since the bike seemed twitchy enough as it is, or if people generally rode a bit smaller than their road bike (56cm tricross). Thanks for any help!

foo on patrol

Re: New rider frame size question

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:49 pm

I am 180cm and I had a 56cm Fuji and was so cramped on it and that was with a 130mm stem. I have long legs and had never ridden smaller than a 58cm frame but everyone was telling me that frame size thinking had changed since I last raced in 84. :?

I found a 58cm Azzurri Track Pro and was happy right from the start on it and that was before I had fine tuned my position. :wink:

My custom frames from my youth were 60cm frames. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bozac

Postby bozac » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, it seems like every used track bike I see available is a size 54cm so I was thinking maybe people rode shorter. I think I will stick with the hire bikes for a bit, suss out what size feels comfortable and go from there. My LBS offered a few hundred off a new avanti pista pro so I might take them up on the offer if I stick with it. I'll probably go again this Saturday to a session and see what size I ride and if it feels cramped (granted I don't normally ride in the drops nearly as much on my roadie when commuting)

Any other tips for where to find a used track frameset or complete in the Brisbane area besides gumtree or Brisbane bike market on facebook? Thanks for the help!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:32 am

I got my Azzurri from the Track Cycling Market Place on FB

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:41 pm

My son is 183 and rides 56 track bike and road bike. Hes 21 and very flexible and likes the seat high and the bars low. For a young guy 56 is perfect, if you are older a 57 or 58 will be more comfortable.
There is a myth that people ride track bikes a size too small, in my experience at track racing and championships I haven't seen much of that.
Track racing is all about body position / body aerodynamics and wheels. People win all sorts of titles on steel frames, aluminium frames, anything. My brother has Australian and State title on his Giant Omnium and a mate won a world title on a basic aluminium frame with a 20 year old Zipp 900 and a cheap front carbon. So dont over-spend.
The lady I coach was gifted a BT with double Mavic disc wheels and her pursuit times are really no different to what she was doing on her Omnium with borrowed carbon wheels.

bozac

Postby bozac » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'm giving the track another go on Saturday on a 56cm frame and I'll see how I go. I didn't have super low bars on the hire bike but my legs are pretty rubbish so I don't think my non-aero position is too much of an issue at the moment.... I'm 33 years old and just getting into cycling so I'm not yet sure how well I can tolerate a low position for long sessions.

I'd love a giant omnium, I bumped into a guy in the carpark with one after my first session and he had nothing but good things to say about it. Fingers crossed something used pops up online soon in my size for a decent price!

bozac

Postby bozac » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:04 pm

hi guys,

Just an update, I found a cheap track bike (2012 Giant omnium) in my size and have a quick question about pedals. I currently commute using shimano spd pedals (m520 model) and have noticed nobody uses this style of clipless at the track. Are they allowed or are they more likely to cause pedal strike? I wasn't sure if it was just because more road cyclists did track so they stuck with that system or if it was a safety issue, as I haven't had them accidentally unclip on me yet. The bike comes with spd-sl pedals but it would mean a new set of shoes would be required. Cheers!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Nothing wrong with 520's, I have them on my Track bike. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:52 pm

I don't have track experience but I would stick with M520s for now and just crank up the tension a bit and invest in new SH51 cleats so you don't pull your foot out - that is the biggest risk on a fixed gear bike.

I'm not a fan of SPD-SL pedals as their single-sided design is dangerous in traffic IMO and the friction in their float irritates my knees.

The former is not an issue on the velodrome and the latter is an individual issue. Maybe you could try them down the track when you get a bike fit done, as that would be the right time to look at new shoes as well.

bozac

Postby bozac » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'll stick with the SPD pedals for now

Warnerrep

Postby Warnerrep » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Does anyone know if the Miche Primato BB can be adjusted so as to have the chainring further off the frame?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:55 am

Sorry, can't help with that. :(

Foo
Goal 6000km