Try the Track (AT) Dunc Gray Velodrome

FiveDaysAWeek

Try the Track (AT) Dunc Gray Velodrome

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:21 am

Hi all,

Finally pulled the trigger and signed up to a Try the Track session at Dunc Gray Velodrome. Having never even stepped inside a velodrome, let alone ridden there, I found the phrase 'designed for people who have no experience riding on a banked track' very reassuring.

D-Day is December 5th woohoo!

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Try the Track (AT) Dunc Gray Velodrome

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:35 am

After the first couple of laps you'll struggle to wipe the smile off your face.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 am

Like Alex said, You won't be able to stop smiling! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Try the Track report:

Venue: great!
Coach: (Barrie) even better!
My fitness: Well...

Came down with some kind of lung virus a week out, coughing and short of breath, but being stubborn I went along anyway.

Got fitted out with a very nice aluminium Hillbrick Pista in bright red, and after a bit of orientation, ventured out on the track, circulating on the level area and getting used to not being able to freewheel. Next it was up onto the blue/gray area to start picking up a little speed, and finally up onto the black line.

Came back in all good, very excited. Unfortunately I'd reached my limit without realising it, and two laps into the next session the old lung pipes slammed shut and I had to pull off before suffocating (and believe me it seemed pretty likely).

Couldn't recover and had to call it quits for the day :shock: but felt a little better when Barrie took it in his stride and said to come back as soon as I'm well. I will: I'm hooked.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:09 pm

:D 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Reset for 9th January, woohoo! :D

TheReality

Postby TheReality » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Awesome,

I have been trying to convince the CFO we should go do this. She is worried i will need to buy another bike haha/

She is probably right...

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:36 pm

Getting approval for the next bike is always a bit tricky, but I think I've made the case for an aluminium track bike (n+1). I pointed out that I probably won't get blasted into a pothole by an oncoming B-Double while on the track, so it's a lot safer than time trialling. Hopefully she won't see any video from the horrific recent Austral pile-ups before the deal is closed.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:35 am

What's with this gettin approval crapped? :shock:

I get one whenever I need one, I don't ask permission. My money that I have worked and saved. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:47 am

foo on patrol wrote:What's with this gettin approval crapped? :shock:

I get one whenever I need one, I don't ask permission. My money that I have worked and saved. :wink:

Foo
Single or divorced ? :lol:

I work on the theory that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:56 pm

FiveDaysAWeek wrote:Hopefully she won't see any video from the horrific recent Austral pile-ups before the deal is closed.
Those kind of incidents usually happen at the elite or A grade level where there is the maximum aggression. While crashes do happen in lower grades they are less frequent and a lot less spectacular as the riders are a lot more cautious
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:43 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Those kind of incidents usually happen at the elite or A grade level where there is the maximum aggression. While crashes do happen in lower grades they are less frequent and a lot less spectacular as the riders are a lot more cautious
Memorising this in case the question comes up :D

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:17 pm

mikesbytes wrote: Those kind of incidents usually happen at the elite or A grade level where there is the maximum aggression. While crashes do happen in lower grades they are less frequent and a lot less spectacular as the riders are a lot more cautious
We have track training daily at our velodrome and racing weekly. In the last couple of years we have had maybe 1 or 2 minor crashes. I also lurk at Dunc Gray quite a lot and again I can only remember a couple of crashes in the last 5 or so years. The Austral crashes were very unusual. Track racing is safer by far compared to road racing. Track crashes usually result in superficial burns or grazes as you slide along the wood / concrete. When you hit the tar in a road race you often come to an abrupt stop and thats when bones break.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:18 am

FiveDaysAWeek wrote:Memorising this in case the question comes up :D
Track is usually a lot safer than road racing, everyone has no brakes and nobody is going to suddenly stop pedalling (or they'll go over the bars). It's road racing where the accidents happen, usually if someone overcooks a corner, strikes a pedal or there is some pile up in the final sprint.

Have fun on the track. :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:What's with this gettin approval crapped? :shock:

Foo
Single or divorced ? :lol:

I work on the theory that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission :wink:
Very much married. :wink: (35yrs) I work bloody hard for my money and have made a lot of sacrifices over the years. My love of cycling and my racing is not up for discussion on that topic. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km