2017 Austral Wheel Race

foo on patrol

2017 Austral Wheel Race

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:23 am

Well this was a hell of an Event, for all of the wrong reasons. A massive fall in the final and then another in the re run. :shock: I can't find the re run vid but it was there after the first run. :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLS8xQjjORk&sns=fb

Got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuW9aaUW6GU&sns=fb

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: 2017 Austral Wheel Race

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 am

You can see the first rider who came off was being leaned on, there was no where for him to go

Is the restart?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:31 am

That one is the restart, Mike. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:36 am

Something screwy going on with these Youtube clips. :?

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:38 am

foo on patrol wrote:Something screwy going on with these Youtube clips. :?

Foo
This is the first fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u660MrQ1DqY

Foo
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:43 am

I was there helping out in the NSW riders in the middle. Some bashed up guys after that. Carnage!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:57 am

And a bit more than fiddy cents worth of damage. :lol: The first one still looked to be the bloke losing his front wheel. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Just when I was thinking it was about time to dust off the BT and get back on the boards...

Was there last night sitting on the back straight just below the person filming so saw it all too close! Glaetzer was DQ'ed for causing the first crash by leaning in on the rider who then went down.

Don't know where the commentator was looking when he suggests everyone was back on their feet when half the field were still on the ground getting treated!

My plated collarbone was aching in sympathy!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Yeh the slowmo of the first crash confirms what I thought had happened, that rider was leaning on him forcing him down the track where he ended up jammed behind a rider was going slightly slower and another rider who was forced to half wheel him inside the racing line almost on the blue boards.

Those trying to avoid the carnage went up the track as one does and few got few but then a bike flicked up the track funneling a group of riders to the middle of the track and unfortunately the front of that middle group hit and went down

I noticed in the restart that in addition to the missing riders there were some that didn't try, they rolled up the track and out of the race
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:09 pm

dalai47 wrote:Just when I was thinking it was about time to dust off the BT and get back on the boards...
!
I was looking after Mitch and after he was handicapped at 60 metres for the Austral (same as Glaetzer and the 2 German internationals.. he's 17 years old) i told him to save his legs for the madison. So glad he didnt make the final. That crash ruined everyones night. As it turned out he had good legs in the madison but his partner had a bad night and blew at half distance. But he closed every gap that his partner couldnt and rode brilliantly. And backed up today in the Shimano supercrit at south Melbourne.. after doing the 6 day last week. Im exhausted just thinking about it.
But back to the wheelrace. It was rubbish handicapping and that was partly to blame for the first crash. It was all together too quickly.
The second crash .. well the back markers fooked up ... tired bashed up riders trying to do a job for the "pea" and got their wires crossed. The lead out man led for too long and then the guy behind either went to go past as he swung up or the front rider tired and slowed before he swung up. Either way a wheel overlapped which is pretty ordinary from that calibre of rider.
Young zac from my club deserved the win. He was 2nd last year and is a good kid.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Ya young bloke must be pretty fit at the moment, DD? :idea: He will need a little bit of a taper for a month. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:19 pm

...not forgetting the crash in the early stages of the womens madison. Overall a night of spills but not something to get excited about.

Dalai47, I was sitting in the upper tier around the finish line and from my vantage point it was clear a few of the riders were in trouble at the first crash. There was a bit of disbelief when I heard the commentator say what he did but I do think from his position, the view (at ground level) to the bottom corner would be impeded by the 'furniture' and structures in the middle.