NSW Masters Championships.

foo on patrol

NSW Masters Championships.

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Keith Oliver, how good is this bloke? Masters 10 and breaks the World record by 5secs and yet it won't be reconised because he has to pay for the drug testing. :evil:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Strawburger

Re: NSW Masters Championships.

Postby Strawburger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:33 pm

I watched him go round to set that record. He's no slouch!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:23 am

foo on patrol wrote:Keith Oliver, how good is this bloke? Masters 10 and breaks the World record by 5secs and yet it won't be reconised because he has to pay for the drug testing. :evil:

Foo
That's normal for anyone that wants a record ratified. Very occasionally riders are selected for a random test and they would not need to pay for it.

Mind you, it requires CNSW to actually submit the paperwork to the UCI on time. One of my club's riders does not have the pleasure of being named the fastest rider in the world in their category because of this oversight.

Well done to all that raced and congrats to all the winners and those who did well.

Two of my aerocoach clients won their respective pursuits so I was pretty happy about that and one of my coaching chargers made the final for the first time with a much improved time, a good step up.

Very disappointed in the Team Pursuit competition. How has this been allowed to drop to such a poor turnout? Symptomatic of several things I guess. I and many others worked hard some years back to make it a premier race day on the calendar, with over 30 teams competing with lots of great rivalry, camaraderie and some exceptional riding.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:52 am

It was a very poor showing the the team pursuit. 3 womens teams and 4 men's teams. Last year there were a lot more. From memory last year wrapped up at 4pm, yesterday it was 1:30pm. Not sure what went wrong, was there competing events on the calendar? For my team to be in the gold medal ride off in men's 150+ is saying something about the low numbers!!!

The numbers were low across the days, I really hope it was just a blip this year.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:55 am

Strawburger wrote:The numbers were low across the days, I really hope it was just a blip this year.
It's not. It's a result of neglect mixed with bigger picture factors.

CNSW abolished the masters commission 2-3 years ago and it's been on a downhill slide ever since. Numbers are definitely falling and fast.

Country track carnivals (masters make up the majority of entrants) have struggled badly, I was supposed to be chief commissaire this weekend at Coffs Harbour track and crit carnival but it's been cancelled due to low entries. The Bowral track carnival has just 24 entrants from junior U9 through to Masters 6 and only one rider in a non age category (i.e. not a junior or masters age). No idea how that'll work as a carnival.

Even the country road races are struggling for numbers. The last Masters RR champs had a total of just 281 entrants. We used to get 350-400.

It's all coffee runs with maybe a town sprint (as if that mattered), Strava and sportives now days.
Racing is dying. :(

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:19 am

Strawburger wrote:It was a very poor showing the the team pursuit. 3 womens teams and 4 men's teams. Last year there were a lot more. From memory last year wrapped up at 4pm, yesterday it was 1:30pm. Not sure what went wrong, was there competing events on the calendar? For my team to be in the gold medal ride off in men's 150+ is saying something about the low numbers!!!
When team "Rolling Joints" took to the start line I overheard a comment along the lines of "the only joint those old blokes will be rolling is an ankle!" Rude but there was an element of truth to it :D
I think having the Nationals in Sydney last year was a big incentive for the TP riders. I know that I trained up my 4 ladies to win the States and then keep up the work to have a shot at the National Title. This year my club was unable to get any commitment out of the riders and so we only had one mens team and it was never going to be in contention.
KO has previously said he will never pay to get a record ratified. He's heading to worlds this year - I'm going too if the lady I coach can get some health issues sorted.
I helped my brother and another guy train in the lead up as well as a new lady who wanted to try a pursuit. They all got medals which was great. And it meant I could play handler and chat to all the great people there and watch the racing. Its such a terrific comraderie between all the competitors, I had a great weekend hanging out in the infield.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Derny Driver wrote: When team "Rolling Joints" took to the start line I overheard a comment along the lines of "the only joint those old blokes will be rolling is an ankle!" Rude but there was an element of truth to it :D
Yeah we are not the best and it showed (not that we would ever think we were either!) . That was our first session together, but will be putting in more efforts throughout the year and focusing on the TTT at Nowra.

As for the name, our team leader's business does medicinal cannabis, hence the name.

It's great to chat in the infield with everyone, that's something you don't really get with road racing.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: It's not. It's a result of neglect mixed with bigger picture factors.

CNSW abolished the masters commission 2-3 years ago and it's been on a downhill slide ever since. Numbers are definitely falling and fast.

Country track carnivals (masters make up the majority of entrants) have struggled badly, I was supposed to be chief commissaire this weekend at Coffs Harbour track and crit carnival but it's been cancelled due to low entries. The Bowral track carnival has just 24 entrants from junior U9 through to Masters 6 and only one rider in a non age category (i.e. not a junior or masters age). No idea how that'll work as a carnival.

Even the country road races are struggling for numbers. The last Masters RR champs had a total of just 281 entrants. We used to get 350-400.

It's all coffee runs with maybe a town sprint (as if that mattered), Strava and sportives now days.
Racing is dying. :(
Such a shame. Cashed up sportif riders are the new focus :(

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Strawburger wrote:
Derny Driver wrote: When team "Rolling Joints" took to the start line I overheard a comment along the lines of "the only joint those old blokes will be rolling is an ankle!" Rude but there was an element of truth to it :D
Yeah we are not the best and it showed (not that we would ever think we were either!) . That was our first session together, but will be putting in more efforts throughout the year and focusing on the TTT at Nowra.

As for the name, our team leader's business does medicinal cannabis, hence the name.

It's great to chat in the infield with everyone, that's something you don't really get with road racing.
The name was a crack up mate. There was a lot of chuckling when the name lit up the scoreboard. The bystander's comment was just in jest. Most of the teams including mine had not practised together beforehand and were just trying to participate. The real standout team was the Hunter boys in black who looked really slick - however they caught my club team in 4 laps and then shut it down. they were on a fast time.
I was driving up to DGV that morning and saw a big bunch of DHCC guys out there at Waterfall. Need to get a few of them onto track bikes!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Keith Oliver, how good is this bloke? Masters 10 and breaks the World record by 5secs and yet it won't be reconised because he has to pay for the drug testing. :evil:

Foo
That's normal for anyone that wants a record ratified. Very occasionally riders are selected for a random test and they would not need to pay for it.

Mind you, it requires CNSW to actually submit the paperwork to the UCI on time. One of my club's riders does not have the pleasure of being named the fastest rider in the world in their category because of this oversight.

Well done to all that raced and congrats to all the winners and those who did well.

Two of my aerocoach clients won their respective pursuits so I was pretty happy about that and one of my coaching chargers made the final for the first time with a much improved time, a good step up.

Very disappointed in the Team Pursuit competition. How has this been allowed to drop to such a poor turnout? Symptomatic of several things I guess. I and many others worked hard some years back to make it a premier race day on the calendar, with over 30 teams competing with lots of great rivalry, camaraderie and some exceptional riding.
That in itself is wrong! :evil: Does this apply to the young ones? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:10 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

Foo

That in itself is wrong! :evil: Does this apply to the young ones? :?

Foo
It applies to everyone.

Keep in mind it's about $1k per test, so asking a federation to stump up the cash is silly. At one championships in Sydney about 7-8 world best times were set. Do you want the limited resources of the cycling admin to blow $8k on tests for a few riders? Lots of riders say "no thanks" to paying for a test. Imagine a team pursuit team setting a WR? $4k thanks very much.

We've had a policy in our club of sponsoring the post hoc testing cost for any rider that sets a WR, if they so choose to do it.

For an elite record it's even harder - you must be in the biopassport program. If you are effectively an amateur rider not already in the biopassport program (e.g a WT rider or inside the AIS program), the cost of entry is over $10k, plus the long wait time before you can make a WR attempt.

Setting a WR is more than the physical execution - it also requires you have the logistical and financial resources as well.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:31 pm

Can you explain this "Worlds Best Time" and "World Record" crap to me, Alex, please? :? (phrase not directed at you)

Foo
Goal 6000km

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:51 am

foo on patrol wrote:Can you explain this "Worlds Best Time" and "World Record" crap to me, Alex, please? :? (phrase not directed at you)

Foo
A world record is an outright record ratified by the UCI under the requirements for a world record. In today's world that means a time set with all official conditions met, e.g. track certified as compliant, use of specific tech such as electronic start gates, appropriate level of commissaire(s), timing systems verified and the rider is in the biopassport program and of course also passes event doping controls. It also has to be submitted to UCI for ratification within a timely manner.

A world's best time is specific to a particular category of racing, e.g. masters women 55-59 age group. The requirements are similar except being in the biopassport program is not required.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Thank for that, Alex. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km