Individual Sprint Questions

P!N20

Individual Sprint Questions

Postby P!N20 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi, I love watching the individual sprint event, but never competed in one, so can someone tell me when it gets to a best of three final, how do they determine who gets the inside/outside position? Or is it just if it gets to a third race a coin is tossed?

Also, I heard a tactic is to just go flat out from the gun to try to get enough distance on your opponent to eliminate the draft advantage. Is there any videos of someone attempting this in a major sporting event?

Cheers.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Individual Sprint Questions

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm

P!N20 wrote:Hi, I love watching the individual sprint event, but never competed in one, so can someone tell me when it gets to a best of three final, how do they determine who gets the inside/outside position? Or is it just if it gets to a third race a coin is tossed?

Also, I heard a tactic is to just go flat out from the gun to try to get enough distance on your opponent to eliminate the draft advantage. Is there any videos of someone attempting this in a major sporting event?

Cheers.

It all in the rule book.
http://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/ ... da11c58e_6

3.2.037 The starting position shall be determined by drawing lots. The rider drawing number 1 shall start on the inside of the track. In two-heat races, the other rider shall take the position on the inside of the track in the second heat. For the deciding round, a fresh draw shall take place.

If there is a mishap/crash then other rules apply to any restart and the rider order may be changed.

P!N20

Re: Individual Sprint Questions

Postby P!N20 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:13 pm

^ Very good, thanks Alex