Individual Sprint Questions

P!N20

Individual Sprint Questions

Postby P!N20 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi, I love watching the individual sprint event, but never competed in one, so can someone tell me when it gets to a best of three final, how do they determine who gets the inside/outside position? Or is it just if it gets to a third race a coin is tossed?

Also, I heard a tactic is to just go flat out from the gun to try to get enough distance on your opponent to eliminate the draft advantage. Is there any videos of someone attempting this in a major sporting event?

Cheers.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Individual Sprint Questions

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm

P!N20 wrote:Hi, I love watching the individual sprint event, but never competed in one, so can someone tell me when it gets to a best of three final, how do they determine who gets the inside/outside position? Or is it just if it gets to a third race a coin is tossed?

Also, I heard a tactic is to just go flat out from the gun to try to get enough distance on your opponent to eliminate the draft advantage. Is there any videos of someone attempting this in a major sporting event?

Cheers.
It all in the rule book.
http://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/ ... da11c58e_6
3.2.037 The starting position shall be determined by drawing lots. The rider drawing number 1 shall start on the inside of the track. In two-heat races, the other rider shall take the position on the inside of the track in the second heat. For the deciding round, a fresh draw shall take place.
If there is a mishap/crash then other rules apply to any restart and the rider order may be changed.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:13 pm

^ Very good, thanks Alex

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:17 pm

P!N20 wrote:Hi, I love watching the individual sprint event, but never competed in one, so can someone tell me when it gets to a best of three final, how do they determine who gets the inside/outside position? Or is it just if it gets to a third race a coin is tossed?

Cheers.

There are a few examples around, the commentary refers to another example with Sir Chris Hoy on the receiving end, which was what I was originally looking for. (it might have been Felix English)

Cheers,

Cameron

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:14 pm

Jump onto youtube and search
"Black Line Sprint Tutorial"
The common scenarios are all covered there

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 am

ironhanglider wrote:There are a few examples around, the commentary refers to another example with Sir Chris Hoy on the receiving end, which was what I was originally looking for.

Cheers,

Cameron
Ah sweet! Thanks Cam. Exactly what I was looking for.

Do you reckon Forstemann would have ran a smaller gear for that race in order to create a gap? Looks like he’s spinning away while Sireau is struggling to get up to speed.
Last edited by P!N20 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:17 am

Derny Driver wrote:Jump onto youtube and search
"Black Line Sprint Tutorial"
The common scenarios are all covered there
Thanks DD. I’m going to enjoy working my way through those.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:06 am

ironhanglider wrote:
There are a few examples around, the commentary refers to another example with Sir Chris Hoy on the receiving end, which was what I was originally looking for. (it might have been Felix English)

Cheers,

Cameron

Blitzkrieg...
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:11 am

P!N20 wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:There are a few examples around, the commentary refers to another example with Sir Chris Hoy on the receiving end, which was what I was originally looking for.

Cheers,

Cameron
Ah sweet! Thanks Cam. Exactly what I was looking for.

Do you reckon Forstemann would have ran a smaller gear for that race in order to create a gap? Looks like he’s spinning away while Sireau is struggling to get up to speed.
He would still be riding around a 112" + gear, for that. Seen Matthew Glaezter get hammered a few times like this and by blokes that were .75-1sec slower over the 200mtrs. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:44 pm

There are two simple reasons why Forstemann can get up to speed that quickly on a big gear
Anything you can do, I can do slower