Calga TT

Chookman

Re: Calga TT

Postby Chookman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:55 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I was wondering abut dics versus deep dish... if you had say an 808 (or similar on the front). But for the rear had the choice of disc, 1080, 808 would there really be much difference?.
Beauty of 808 on the rear is I could road race with it too and put a powertap in easily.
Never looked at those Planet X wheels before...prices are fantastic.
I'm not an expert; however a disc is always considered fastest for the rear; even moreso in crosswinds due to the sail effect. The difference between an 808 or 1080 vs a disc would be minimal; however you'd need to weigh that up against other factors, eg using a PT hub, using them for road races etc. Either way, if you are going to spend the $ and use them for racing only, go for tubulars rather than clinchers.

Planet X are pretty big in the UK and have some amazing prices, whilst their wheels may not have the bling factor of Zipps, you can't go too wrong with a set of 101/82mm wheels for 399GBP ($600 Au)

If Alex S is reading this thread, i''m sure he could put forward a more definitive answer regarding aeroness of various wheels.

vander

Postby vander » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Anyone venturing through floods to Calga this weekend, I am going out no matter what will be interesting to see if the wet affects times.

Chookman

Postby Chookman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:25 pm

vander wrote:Anyone venturing through floods to Calga this weekend, I am going out no matter what will be interesting to see if the wet affects times.
I'll head up if it's only showers but if it's p*ssing down i'll give it a miss

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:03 pm

Yeah i think i'm going to stick with the indoor trainer this weekend and skip Calga/Waterfall. I dare say there will be loads of crap on the roads this weekend making fast safe riding not achievable.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

ratdog

Postby ratdog » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Calga April 1st.

Perfect conditions out there yesterday. Some damn fast times and the 25km female course record broken by a triathlete Lisa Marangon.

here is my track.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/163920458

Intensity Factor (IF) 0.96
Training Stress Score (TSS) 108.1
TRIMP 233.1
Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE) very very hard (19)
Moving 1:10:12
Average speed 36.9 km/h
Average heart rate 173 bpm (= 93%)
Average power 262 W (= 3.17 W/kg, 90%FTP)
Normalized Power 279 W (= 3.37 W/kg, 96%FTP)
VI 1.07
Average power (including zeroes) 262 W (= 3.17 W/kg, 90%FTP)
Critical Power 261 W (= 3.16 W/kg, 90%FTP)
Threshold power (FTP) - 1/04/2012 290 W (= 3.51 W/kg)
Resting Heartrate 53 bpm
Recovery heartrate 128 bpm

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:58 pm

I was just thinking about time trials and realised that next weekend should be the Calga TT. I've never done a time trial before but considering going now, a few questions:

- Will everyone laugh at me if I ride a normal road bike with no aero gear :P
- How easy is it to follow the course seeing as I've never ridden up there before
- How hard is it to properly pace yourself, being pretty fit but on a normal road bike and never having done a TT before should I be aiming to maintain a certain speed?

vander

Postby vander » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:56 am

AndrewBurns wrote:I was just thinking about time trials and realised that next weekend should be the Calga TT. I've never done a time trial before but considering going now, a few questions:

- How easy is it to follow the course seeing as I've never ridden up there before
- How hard is it to properly pace yourself, being pretty fit but on a normal road bike and never having done a TT before should I be aiming to maintain a certain speed?
No a fair few people go without aero go, though there are some good aero setups.

Very easy to follow just out and back (especially the 25km course)

It can be quite hard to pace yourself. My biggest bit of advice would be go out what you think is too easy for the first couple of kms. Trying to maintain a certain speed is dangerous especially on a lumpy course like calga.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:27 am

For a start, you need too work out if you are a fast starter and slow finisher or a slow starter and a hard finisher and taylor you training to suit. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

sb944

Postby sb944 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:12 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:I was just thinking about time trials and realised that next weekend should be the Calga TT. I've never done a time trial before but considering going now, a few questions:
I've never been either, but have been thinking of training for TT's too, Calga, and have researched quite a bit here, and on google.
AndrewBurns wrote: - Will everyone laugh at me if I ride a normal road bike with no aero gear :P
From what I can tell, you won't be the only one without aero gear, so I doubt anyone will laugh. You can always turn their smile upside down by beating their time of course :shock:
AndrewBurns wrote: - How easy is it to follow the course seeing as I've never ridden up there before
I can't answer this, but it seems as though it would be pretty straight forward.
AndrewBurns wrote: - How hard is it to properly pace yourself, being pretty fit but on a normal road bike and never having done a TT before should I be aiming to maintain a certain speed?
I searched through here and noticed one of the guys that wins the 25km race posts here, and he basically says most go out harder than they should, and burn away a bit of what they'll need at the end. It's mainly uphill out, and mainly downhill back, so the hills might make it easier to pace yourself early. The last climb is about 3km from the end is supposed to kill you, so at least understand it's still coming when you think everything is going well 20km into it. Then it seems like all downhill to the finish, probably good to have some energy left to maintain a big speed from the top of that last hill. Here is the strava segment for the return run, so reverse this elevation for the ride out:
http://app.strava.com/segments/1050314

I've sent you a PM too.

philip

Postby philip » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:23 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:- Will everyone laugh at me if I ride a normal road bike with no aero gear :P
No, plenty ride without aero gear, it's a pretty relaxed atmosphere
AndrewBurns wrote:How easy is it to follow the course seeing as I've never ridden up there before
The 25km is easy, you just need to look out for the turnaround point. The 43km is a bit tricker, just after the 25km turnaround the road forks and you need to stay to the right, then at the turnaround there's an off/on ramp that you need to take/turnaround at - you might want to drive it first if you're doing this one.
AndrewBurns wrote:How hard is it to properly pace yourself
Mate this is the hard part and what makes a TT fun :)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:31 pm

The four most important rules of TT are:
1. Don't miss your start
2. Don't start too hard
3. Don't start too hard
4. Don't start too hard

As a rough guide to newer riders at TTs, you need to do a few to gain experience, pacing is a skill to be learned and refined over the years. It's a race against yourself and the clock. Forget about other's times.

If the first few minutes feels too easy, then that's about right (you simply do not feel how hard you are going until several minutes later).
If the first few minutes feels hard, then you've way overblown it, big time.

When going up hills, go solidly but not all out, it should feel like you have just a little in reserve (in reality you will be going much harder than you are on flat terrain, it just doesn't feel that way).
When cresting hills, keep the pressure on the pedals right on over the crest and as you gain speed down the other side. Lots of time can be made up this way.
When going down slight declines, push really hard. It should feel harder than it does going up inclines (but you actually won't be going as hard really, it just feels that way).

Calga 25km (well it's a bit less than 25km) is an out and back course, usually there is an orange cone in the centre of the road for the U-Turn (often not manned) so you must take care to ensure no traffic/safe to turn. Helps to have a bike computer too so that you know after 12km to look for the turn point.

Any bike is fine - just go and have fun with a number on your back.

vander

Postby vander » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: Calga 25km (well it's a bit less than 25km) is an out and back course, usually there is an orange cone in the centre of the road for the U-Turn (often not manned) so you must take care to ensure no traffic/safe to turn. Helps to have a bike computer too so that you know after 12km to look for the turn point.
They removed the cone last time I was there (which was a while ago about 9+months) as they council said they werent allowed to leave a nailed down cone there.

sb944

Postby sb944 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 pm

vander wrote: They removed the cone last time I was there (which was a while ago about 9+months) as they council said they werent allowed to leave a nailed down cone there.
So what did they use?

vander

Postby vander » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:55 pm

sb944 wrote:
vander wrote: They removed the cone last time I was there (which was a while ago about 9+months) as they council said they werent allowed to leave a nailed down cone there.
So what did they use?
They has stuff spray painted on the ground and a sign at the point but I missed that and ended up going an extra 100m or so.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Andrew, treat the first go as a learning adventure. It will give you a baseline to beat next time

Check out the ATTA database by typing the surnames of some of the club members on this page, I'm there
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

TZ2102

Postby TZ2102 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Anyone going tomorrow? weather?

sb944

Postby sb944 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Hardly anyone competed because of the wet weekend, but the record was set for the 43km route, 45.8km/h, great work by Jake Kauffmann!!!

philip

Postby philip » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:20 pm

sb944 wrote:Hardly anyone competed because of the wet weekend, but the record was set for the 43km route, 45.8km/h, great work by Jake Kauffmann!!!
Super impressive, he put some serious time into the previous record, 1:46 - and over 2 mins better than his last PB. I wonder how the conditions affected the performance.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Amazing speed

I looked up a rider I knew who did it and the entry was there but no time. Perhaps they were in the throw of putting it up?

vander

Postby vander » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:16 pm

philip wrote:
sb944 wrote:Hardly anyone competed because of the wet weekend, but the record was set for the 43km route, 45.8km/h, great work by Jake Kauffmann!!!
Super impressive, he put some serious time into the previous record, 1:46 - and over 2 mins better than his last PB. I wonder how the conditions affected the performance.
He did come 5th or 6th or something similar in the national TT champs not very long ago. Clearly has been targetting the TTs. Great rider.

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:08 am

finished my first calga tt and 2nd ever. no one said there were big hills there !. a 75km/h downhill speed was fun but going back up - well i had to change to the small chainring at the front !!
ended up finishing in 39 minutes. definately went out too hard in hind sight, but felt ok at the time.
really enjoyed racing the clock.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:18 am

39 minutes is a dam good time

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:46 am

scotto wrote:finished my first calga tt and 2nd ever. no one said there were big hills there !. a 75km/h downhill speed was fun but going back up - well i had to change to the small chainring at the front !!
ended up finishing in 39 minutes. definately went out too hard in hind sight, but felt ok at the time.
really enjoyed racing the clock.
Blood hill.
Nice going.

philip

Postby philip » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:05 am

Looking at the results vander did a 37:35, so close to the magical 40km/h average! Nice one.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:42 am

http://www.atta.asn.au/db/005.php?page= ... id=nsw9_13

What a huge turnout. Does anyone know how to calculate age from the STD time?