20K TT Done. Ouch

Individual and Team TT

20K TT Done. Ouch

Postby RobRollin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:36 pm

Went out to take part in a team Tri today I was doing the 20K ride. Our team came second. I wasn't feeling 100% at all, dehydrated and very empty.

I rode the course prior to the start, 2 x 10k laps. On the way out to the first turn its quite fast, to the second turn its slightly uphill enough to notice when you are riding at 38-40km/h.

I went out hard as I could, 42km/h for the most part, never done a 20K TT effort before. I overtook a few riders, they didn't look comfortable in their position. I don't have TT bars which would save me seconds. I was comfortable, after 13ks I had found a good rhythm and I was sitting at 165-175bpm.

The last 3ks I was on the limit, glad to have done my first 20K TT. it's a lot different to 10 or 14k TT's.

Distance: 20.1ks
Time: 35mins 33 secs
Avg Speed 33.86km/h
Max Speed: 42.73km/h
Avg Heart Rate 171bpm
Max Heart rate 178bpm
Cadence 94

There's several other TT's I have entered as well. They hurt, the are a lot of fun and great racing. There's something about riding against the clock which is addictive.
RobRollin

by BNA » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:03 am

BNA

Re: 20K TT Done. Ouch

Postby Parrott » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:03 am

RobRollin wrote:Went out to take part in a team Tri today I was doing the 20K ride. Our team came second. I wasn't feeling 100% at all, dehydrated and very empty.

I rode the course prior to the start, 2 x 10k laps. On the way out to the first turn its quite fast, to the second turn its slightly uphill enough to notice when you are riding at 38-40km/h.

I went out hard as I could, 42km/h for the most part, never done a 20K TT effort before. I overtook a few riders, they didn't look comfortable in their position. I don't have TT bars which would save me seconds. I was comfortable, after 13ks I had found a good rhythm and I was sitting at 165-175bpm.

The last 3ks I was on the limit, glad to have done my first 20K TT. it's a lot different to 10 or 14k TT's.

Distance: 20.1ks
Time: 35mins 33 secs
Avg Speed 33.86km/h
Max Speed: 42.73km/h
Avg Heart Rate 171bpm
Max Heart rate 178bpm
Cadence 94

There's several other TT's I have entered as well. They hurt, the are a lot of fun and great racing. There's something about riding against the clock which is addictive.

The tt bars should save 40 secs to a minute over that distance, sounds like you got your pacing pretty right despite going flat out at the start. I find the not going flat out at the start business hard also, soon as you are riding it's hard not to go flat out. Helps at the end for me if I can hold back a bit at the start.

I agree with tt's being addicitve, they are by far my favourite cycling event, I love being able to set my own pace and see how I go against the clock.
Sounds like you are in danger of being hooked too :D
Parrott

Re: 20K TT Done. Ouch

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:54 pm

If you have ridden a time trial properly you should not be able to walk after it. It is best that you start a little bit easy,and then once you have got your muscles warmed up properly,then you get into it.True time trialist should finish harder than when they started. :) It all comes down to how you train.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Return to Time Trial