40km Time Trial... sort of... I need your wisdom... please!!

Missy24

Re: 40km Time Trial... sort of... I need your wisdom... plea

Postby Missy24 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:06 pm

Parrott wrote:
Missy24 wrote:1 week to go... am I ready? mmm maybe :lol:

Tri bars? Don't like them, will ride without, not 100% confident with them... don't wanna crash in QLD...

I'm gonna pretend its beach road... complete b**** that you can't have music with you!

Fair enough but they were worth 20-30 secs over 8 ks for me. 2 1/2 minutes over 40 k is a fair bit.
but if I'm not comfortable it wont work well

I gotta go see a mate about changing the set up, but haven't had time!

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:25 am

so how did you go ????????
when do we stop for coffee???

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:43 am

BarryTas wrote:so how did you go ????????
Its on Sunday will let you know

snortin

Postby snortin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi Missy,
I am doing this tri for the third time. It is good fun (for me, more so after I successfully make it out of the water).
A couple of things about the course for you:

it is quite flat, with just a really small hill heading out to the freeway. On the freeway, the grades are gentle.

the 20km out is pretty easy as you normally have a tailwind. The return into the headwind is not as much fun....My (non-drafting!) speed dropped from 36km/h to 32km/h

you will be starting later than most, teams are off last. The wind and temp will likely be picking up...
despite the rules of no drafting, there are so many bikes on the road it is nearly impossible. Just make sure you drop back when the motorbike officials come alongside otherwise you will get hit with a time penalty or disqualified (happened to a friend last year when he didn't stop in the penalty box) Some guys are really quick and pretty good at dragging along a big group. last year i got stuck in a big bunch of at least 30 with about 10km to go and we easily pushed at over 40km/h....

say hi when you see me! I will be on the 08 red/white/blue 08 spesh tarmac with clip on aero bars (and more than likely with a big grin :D after fighting through the massive QLD seas).

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:43 pm

Missy,

If you do well this week, you might consider doing the IronMan Triathlon in Port Macquarie next year. :D :D

This year's event is on this Sunday (unfortunately clashes with your Sunshine event). The bike leg is only 180kms - that's if you survive the 3.8km swim. But you'll need to conserve your energy for the 42km run!

This year will be my 5th IronMan in 5 years (er....as an official on the bike leg, that is). I've got a 4am start, helping set up my stretch of the bike leg, before 9 hours of duty on the course. Some of the leading athletes will be showered and on to their second beers before I get relieved by the afternoon shift!

With 1600 competitors, the town is buzzing at the moment. All the bike shops have got $10 000 triathlon and time trial bikes in their windows, and there's hundreds of cyclists out training every morning. I joined a pack of IronMan cyclists this morning - I'm guessing there was probably $150K worth of bikes in the pack! Had to laugh when one of the guys asked me about my Oppy. :D
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:32 pm

Sweeper59 wrote:Missy,

If you do well this week, you might consider doing the IronMan Triathlon in Port Macquarie next year. :D :D

This year's event is on this Sunday (unfortunately clashes with your Sunshine event). The bike leg is only 180kms - that's if you survive the 3.8km swim. But you'll need to conserve your energy for the 42km run!
Oh bugger... theres a clash...

Poo

IronMan... please... me! Nooooooooooo.... actually now that I think about it, those 4 little full stops are obviously quality thinking time... nooooo wait... dumb idea!

If I'm gonna do a full tri I need a swim coach, one of the PA's in the office coaches so that's good, I'd consider it next year as in training next year and maybe at the end of that year...

You shouldn' suggest stupid things to me sweeper... I seems to like them!

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:35 pm

snortin wrote:Hi Missy,
I am doing this tri for the third time. It is good fun (for me, more so after I successfully make it out of the water).

it is quite flat, with just a really small hill heading out to the freeway. On the freeway, the grades are gentle.

the 20km out is pretty easy as you normally have a tailwind. The return into the headwind is not as much fun....My (non-drafting!) speed dropped from 36km/h to 32km/h

you will be starting later than most, teams are off last. The wind and temp will likely be picking up...
despite the rules of no drafting, there are so many bikes on the road it is nearly impossible. Just make sure you drop back when the motorbike officials come alongside otherwise you will get hit with a time penalty or disqualified (happened to a friend last year when he didn't stop in the penalty box) Some guys are really quick and pretty good at dragging along a big group. last year i got stuck in a big bunch of at least 30 with about 10km to go and we easily pushed at over 40km/h....

say hi when you see me! I will be on the 08 red/white/blue 08 spesh tarmac with clip on aero bars (and more than likely with a big grin :D after fighting through the massive QLD seas).
Hey Snortin

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

In my experience in these events you never see anyone when they say I'll be riding such and such, but I will actually be in the corporate VIP area, or something like that.

If you want to hit me up for a coffee or a drink! More than wlecome to meet new members, assuming your not a serial killer :D

Missy

snortin

Postby snortin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:53 pm

Missy24 wrote:
snortin wrote:Hi Missy,

Hey Snortin

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

In my experience in these events you never see anyone when they say I'll be riding such and such, but I will actually be in the corporate VIP area, or something like that.

If you want to hit me up for a coffee or a drink! More than wlecome to meet new members, assuming your not a serial killer :D

Missy
No, not a serial killer :shock:
the say hi comment was tongue in cheek, as there will be around 5000 competitors and i will be in too much pain to be looking out for people :)

have fun :D

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Missy24 wrote:
Sweeper59 wrote:Missy,

Oh bugger... theres a clash...

Poo

IronMan... please... me! Nooooooooooo.... actually now that I think about it, those 4 little full stops are obviously quality thinking time... nooooo wait... dumb idea!

If I'm gonna do a full tri I need a swim coach, one of the PA's in the office coaches so that's good, I'd consider it next year as in training next year and maybe at the end of that year...

You shouldn' suggest stupid things to me sweeper... I seems to like them!
I've been involved with the IronMan for a number of years, and have seen the action from close up. I've been at the finish to catch athletes as they cross the line - and I literally mean 'catch'. A lot of them are so exhausted, they don't know where they are, and we have had to tell a few that they have finished - they can stop running!
I've spoken with some who have done the event a number of times. Those who have completed 10 IronMan events are treated like 'gods'. However, most of them look 10 years older than their actual age.
There was French female competitor hit a kerb and went over her handlebars last year about 20 metres from where I was standing. She was doing about 40 kmh at the time, but was so fatigued, she wasn't focusing on the road. She was less than 5kms from the finish of the bike leg at the time.
However, the most telling time is the Monday afterwards, when the competitors come to collect their bikes and medals. Most of them can hardly walk!

I'm with you Missy. I don't think the human body was meant to handle IronMan triathlons.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Good luck to you in your Time Trial leg.

Good vibes from the WA Crowd.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:17 am

Secondly to drafting, you cannot go 3 wide accross the road, typically you have to wait for the rider infront to overtake then you have to overtake. And because you cannot draft you have to ease off. Look at what the rider infront is doing and time yourself so you do not lose too much speed.

Any incline and change it up a gear and keep the same cadence and avg speed. Do'nt worry too much about your cadence, HR and Avg Speed is what to go by without a power meter.

Do not go out too early and blow up.

Good luck as I said!! :D

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 am

Before you get tagged, by the runner, dont put on your helmet, you have to wait till your tagged, put on your helmet and then take the bike off the rack and out of transition. If you dont then you may incur a time penalty or be disqualed.

This should be explained to you prior anyways. :D

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:27 pm

Max HR 185
Ave HR 173
Ave Speed 31.9
Time 1hour 14minutes

So the above are the results, first 30 minutes was sitting on 34km/h, the return was that thick heavy rain and it pelted down and Mother nature repeated this process 3 times.

I didn't get my goal of 1 hour and 10 mintues, but for a first go I think I did well.

I can't wait to do it again.

At Transition waiting for my swimmer.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Go to the top of the Class Missy. Number 1. Yaaaaay.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:57 am

good work Missy24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when do we stop for coffee???