Calga long course difficulty and grades

Individual and Team TT

Calga long course difficulty and grades

Postby Chris249 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:30 pm

I've got to have a go at the long Calga course this Sunday. It's the last round of the Club Championship.

Luckily I've got a 5 point lead in B Grade (partly because everyone else close to the front has missed at least 2 rounds and I've only missed one :-) ) and TTing is my strong (comparatively) discipline, so there's not a huge amount of pressure on. I'd still like to be the first M3-5 home in the club (although that will be hard if our recent M5 state ITT champ, also in B, turns up).

However, I've never done the long course and I was wondering how it compares. As far as I can recall from driving around the "extra" part of the course beyond the 25km turn point, there may be some long straights that are gentle hills on the way out but no doubt will be painful hills on the way back.

So does anyone have any pacing and terrain advice?

I've done the 25km course for dead average results a few times a year or two ago. I think I'm going a fair bit quicker these days and had an encouraging training run last week, using the club A/B ride to Waterfall for pacing (but NOT for drafting) and only losing them when they revved up the paceline on the way back from Waterfall. I'm still a bit wary of the extra distance, though.

I'll pick up my new-to-me Zip 404s and tubs on Saturday morning, so this will be my first Calga with the fast wheels and helmet on the old 2003 Cervelo P2K TT frame (average age of gear, about 12 years, but that's onl;y 1/4 of the rider and my gear is better than I am!). Should be fun to use all the whooshie gear - or so I hope!
There are many types of racing cyclists. There is the sprinter, the rouleur, the stagiaire, the danser, the descender.... sadly, I'm a mediocre. :-(

2003 Cervelo P2K time trial bike
2010 Merida Cyclocross 4
2008 Giant SS/track
2008 Vivente Como roadie
Chris249

by BNA » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:38 pm

BNA

Re: Calga long course difficulty and grades

Postby slowrotation » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:38 pm

Looks like you cemented your B grade win, good effort. What we used to call in the UK a "sporting course" i.e. definitely not flat! I pipped you by a second but did not manage to improve my place in the champs
slowrotation

Re: Calga long course difficulty and grades

Postby Chookman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:20 pm

I saw your post late on Sat night so it was a bit late to reply regarding the course profile. You seem to have come through OK. Overall there's not much difference between the 25 and 43 (except the distance of course). A couple of long drags as opposed to the 25 which has shorter more frequent lumpy bits. Beautiful day for a TT.

Cheers
Chris
Chookman

Return to Time Trial