Post your time trial bike pics

lunar_c

Post your time trial bike pics

Postby lunar_c » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Hey all,

Ever since I started watching the Tour a few years back, I've been fascinated by the time trial. I just love the bikes. I'd love to see your time trial machines.

I'm particularly interested in vintage time trial bikes too. I'd love to build one!

hanzao

Re: Post your time trial bike pics

Postby hanzao » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:28 pm

dont know if this is going to work because its linked from my facebook..

Just took picture of from my iphone yesterday
Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks for sharing. Very nice bike, how are the SRAM wheels?

northboy

Postby northboy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:41 pm

never seen you ride that on a PCS sunday ride!!!

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:37 pm

did you ride last Sunday?

Wheels.. i have gotten use to it.. wind? what wind, i just toughen up around the boys and when i go home i cry to my wife about the wind.
TimeTrials Felt B12

northboy

Postby northboy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:57 pm

no - did not do the ride on sunday - maybe this week....

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:59 pm

FROM PCS BLOG

Next weeks ride 18/12/11 Moore River Guilderton
There is an informal ride to Moore River, Guilderton next Sunday, departing 6.00am sharp from Jindalee. REPEAT 6.00am. The route is approximately 63km one way and is via Yanchep and Two Rocks before joining Wanneroo road. The cafe at Moore river is open at 8.00 and I've warned them we are coming. Your 'Intention to ride' plus any family members would be appreciated for this purpose (An influx of 30 riders may catch them out otherwise). Details of the cafe and pics of the area here. Chris, Nghia and Tim have confirmed and many others have raised more than an eyebrow of interest. Derek will also head out earlier on the same route. In place of the regular PCS ride, other riders may opt to join the 6.00am start time and return at any point. Be advised that the Wanneroo road section is single file only and is not for the faint-hearted. The speed limit for cars is 110kmph, and is recommended for experienced riders who accept the inherent risks! (legal disclaimer: don't say we didn't warn you!). Two drink bottles, and a complete puncture repair kits for each rider are required as mobile reception is poor in areas, and miscommunication may leave you left behind. Bathers may be a good idea with river and ocean nearby. I can carry 2 extra bikes back in our car but have no room for passengers. Also I'm experimenting to find the best free ride networking tool.
TimeTrials Felt B12

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:34 pm

Is this the Felt thread?!

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:55 am

Very nice. I'm keen to get into time trialing and just love to look at the different bike setups. How do those Zipp's ride? I'm also curious as to how you all first got into it, and any tips you might have for the beginner.

kosh

Postby kosh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:57 am

lunar_c wrote:Very nice. I'm keen to get into time trialing and just love to look at the different bike setups. How do those Zipp's ride? I'm also curious as to how you all first got into it, and any tips you might have for the beginner.
All I have to say about disc wheels is "whoomph whoomph whoomph whoomph whoomph whoomph whoomph"

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:37 am

Yes the noise that the disc wheels make can be quite intimidating to other riders, especially newbies!

For someone starting out you would be better to buy some clip-on TT/tri bars for your road bike rather than lashing out thousands of $$ on a dedicated TT rig and find you don't really like doing TTs. Maybe then the next equipment to purchase would be a "sperm" helmet and then bootie covers and a skinsuit. Then maybe look at aero wheels, generally the deeper profile the better (aero wise, but there is a weight trade off). You can't run a front disc, too dangerous if the wind catches it, but you can get up to 80mm front wheels (mine's only 50mm) or even 3 or 4 spoke wheels. There are different disc rear wheels available with all sorts of claims as to their aero benefits.

As for getting into it, there are 3 local clubs in my area and as part of their racing program they have time trial events. Ours are usually pretty short, only about 20km usually. The longest one I've done was 40km last weekend - http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 17&t=47370

Equipment aside, time trials are quite different to road races as there aren't really tactics, no hiding in the bunch, it's just you,the bike, the wind, and the clock. Time trials are generally (but not always) held on flatter courses than road races and the focus is to have the most aerodynamic bike and equipment, rather than a super featherweight bike like most road racers aspire to.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks Ross.

I'm thinking about doing just that once I finish my Colnago (aero bars, etc and giving TT a go) to find what type of racing I like most. Great advice, thanks!

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Here's mine:

Built from scratch after 3 years of being hosed on Triathlon bike legs while riding an old steel roadie!

Started with a Planet X Stealth Pro Frame and over 12 months patiently bought up lightly used Dura Ace 7800 bits. Brakes however are Ciamello Zero Gravity Titanium (super light) and the bars are Pro Missile (again, super light at 475grams). Wheels are Zipp 404 tubulars with a rear wheel cover. All up it’s 7.2kg without pedals.

First outing was the Huskisson Long Course Triathlon – 83km at 34.4kmh
Next was the Ironman in Cairns – 182km at 31.6kmh
Most recent was the 40km bike leg in the Canberra Olympic Distance Tri – 40km at 37.0kmh

In all instances I’ve had to ride conservatively to save my legs for the run so I’m very keen to just do a TT and chase the holy grail of 40kmh for an hour.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:37 pm

Nice bike .. thanks for sharing!

Where did you buy the planet X frame?

Grim

Postby Grim » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Waiting for my Zipp 404 firecrest front to turn up this week and set of Ultremo HTs.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Well overdue this thread, there are some spectacular TT bikes out there.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Grim

Postby Grim » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:02 pm

The bike is finally finished, Di2, Quarq PM, Zipp 808 (WC)/404 FC/Ultremo HTs, custom bar clamps and S-Bend Zipp bars, Garmin 310XT

dfc.

Postby dfc. » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Grim wrote:Image

The bike is finally finished, Di2, Quarq PM, Zipp 808 (WC)/404 FC/Ultremo HTs, custom bar clamps and S-Bend Zipp bars, Garmin 310XT
I think the Trek range of TT bikes are the best looking out there. Even the Speed Concept 2.5 is really good looking.

If only I could afford one. Like Lunar C, I have also been in love withh TT bikes since my first tour in 07!
Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!

Chookman

Postby Chookman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:55 pm

dfc. wrote:
Grim wrote:[img]<A class=vglnk title="Link added by VigLink" href="http://i44.tinypic.com/ztzoyo.jpg[/img" rel=nofollow target=_blank vglnk_1329717285937="1">http://i44.tinypic.com/ztzoyo.jpg[/img</A>]

I think the Trek range of TT bikes are the best looking out there.
That's debatable! I do like the flooring and skirting boards though!

Grim

Postby Grim » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks Chook, Tassie Oak flooring and Olivine walls...8P. I must confess I am a Trek Fanboi from way back since the family has a total of 7 Treks (Yes even the kids ride Trek). Pretty much any of the super TT bikes these days looks pretty darn awesome, the major bike manufacturers have really lifted their game over the last 2 years so its not such a Cervelo P-fest anymore.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for posting such an impressive machine.. I'd love to have those Zipp's on my Colnago :)

dfc.

Postby dfc. » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:18 pm

This is a design that I did that is based on the Trek Speed Conept 9.9. I chnged it so the speed boxes are in built and the frame is slightly different. I am doing a 1:10 scale model of it a the moment, and will post pictures when I am finished:

Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:08 am

Finally got around to taking some photo's of my new Pro-Lite Modena TT bike. Its fitted with a Pro-Lite Padova disc, Pro-Lite Rome 5-spoke carbon front wheel.

I need to start doing the odd training session on it, so far its seen race-use-only duties.

Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Grim

Postby Grim » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:42 pm

You know Jacks, the usual bike pic standards are drive side and on the large chainring..... :) Nice rig btw.

If thats your lawn, the weeds seem to have taken over, you really have to do something about that. :shock:

logancalder

Postby logancalder » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Here is a video one of my friends made of a TT here in Perth last year. It was 44.1km, hilly and really windy. I rode 1:01:58 and am on the black felt.

http://jalgi.smugmug.com/Movies/Trainin ... 9740_Lhbn9

The video was a compilation of the weekend and so has us cruising around and my friend doing a bit of padelling.

Regards,

Logan
http://www.logancalder.com