Aero Bars

vander

Aero Bars

Postby vander » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:55 pm

Looking at doing the Calga TT probably every month for at least the first few months of next year. So I wanted to get some Aerobars. Can anyone advise some good but also cheap bars. I would be looking at <$150 and preferably <$100.

Chuck

Re: Aero Bars

Postby Chuck » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Clip ons ok ??

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7H ... thlon-bars

The price is right, can't comment on the quality though.
FPR Ragamuffin

vander

Postby vander » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Clip are exactly what I am after. These seem good if the quality is good.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Profile T2

These are pretty good (for the price). I've seen them elsewhere for as low as $75 delivered (so shop around). The advantage on these is that you can set them back from the drop bars (toward your body) if you wish.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

vander

Postby vander » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Ended up getting the profile T2 got them for about $90. Now I just have to figure out the best position for them and get used to them.

philip

Postby philip » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:34 pm

They are good bars as you can adjust them a lot but are therefore a bit finicky. I have the carbon version of them. Make sure you when you adjust them you use the right torque to tighten, when I setup might I didn't have a torque wrench so was too cautious and one of them started to loosen while on a TT. You do end up putting a fair bit of weight/pressure on them.

fixed

Postby fixed » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:17 pm

torque settings very important, also use carbon grip paste at the junction faces
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Hey Guys,

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I am after some aero bars for an aero road bike (Venge). I am mainly after something with a fair bit of adjustability and specifically something that can accommodate the lowest possible position. On an older bike I do a fair bit of riding just resting my lower arms on the top of the standard road bars and then grabbing the shifter cables for stability and I like that position. New bike does not have gear cables to grab, so I want some aero bars that can give me the stability, but get me as close to resting my arms on the bar tops as possible. Thinking of giving a TT race a go, but not wanting to get a TT bike just yet.

Appreciate any suggestions! Those torpedo 7 bars above seem to be pretty low with the bars going under the road bar?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Adrian

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 pm

Cinelli Spinachi. Old skool gold.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:47 pm

http://www.this link is broken/mobi ... -prod36149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.this link is broken/mobi ... -prod84204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Compact and safer than long jousting poles.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks guys, but those do not seem to have much adjustment. Are the Profile T2 any good?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Get an adjustable stem for when you want to run aero bars... it is the only way to drop the bars far enough that your elbow pads sit around the same height as your bars normally would.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:20 pm

KGB wrote:Cinelli Spinachi. Old skool gold.
Only fit on 27.0 mm handlebars. You'll have to fabricate your own clamp to get them to fit modern handlebars.

I've already looked into this. Have bought a new pair from Planet-X...now have to manufacture new clamps.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Get an adjustable stem for when you want to run aero bars... it is the only way to drop the bars far enough that your elbow pads sit around the same height as your bars normally would.
Another option is if you have flat-top handlebars you can just rest your forearms on the handlebar tops and run bare extensions.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

chee

Postby chee » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:57 pm

Hey guys,

I'm doing the bike leg of a half ironman, and I've borrowed some aero bars for the event.

I can't be bothered getting a proper fit as I will be taking the bars off straight after the event.

What's the general rule of thumb for positioning adjustments when throwing on some aero bars?

Move saddle forward (as much as possible?), drop stem, and lower the saddle?

I know I will end up making adjustments as I go, but it would be good to have a decent idea on the base.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Have a look on Steve Hogg's website... I haven't looked recently but there used to be an article there about fitting tri bars.
Andrew

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:42 pm

chee wrote:
What's the general rule of thumb for positioning adjustments when throwing on some aero bars?

Move saddle forward (as much as possible?), drop stem, and lower the saddle?

Slide saddle forward as far as it will go. Drop the stem a bit. Move seat UP about 4-5mm.
Sliding the seat forward shortens the distance from the pedals to the seat.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:57 pm

__PG__ wrote:
KGB wrote:Cinelli Spinachi. Old skool gold.
Only fit on 27.0 mm handlebars. You'll have to fabricate your own clamp to get them to fit modern handlebars.

I've already looked into this. Have bought a new pair from Planet-X...now have to manufacture new clamps.
26.0mm. But yes, you are correct. I'm still living in the 90's and keep forgetting about this "oversize" fad.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi Guys,

I ended up getting Profile T2+. However they are a gift so will not receive them for a month. Just reading the last few posts here. I run a seat height of 725mm. If setting up for TT position, should I shove the saddle all the way forward and adjust height to match my normal 725mm? Will than keep all the angles the same for my fitting? Then just adjust the Aero bars for comfort? I read an article somewhere that suggested that people commonly have the aerobars too far forward, and the angle at the elbow should not be too much more than 90 degrees so you can efficiently take your body weigh onto the Aero bar pads?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:50 pm

You can run the saddle as far forward as 5cm behind the BB. I do this, I have an Adamo saddle, so can sit quite comfortably on the nose area. Basically re-measure your saddle height to where you sit on it in TT position, as this can make quite a difference if sitting much further forward than on a road bike. You can run it a bit higher than normal if you want... beware of injuries though.
After that the aim is basically to get the forearms and back parallel to the ground... ie getting the head out of the wind. Take a bit of playing around, don't try and go to low, just find what works. Depending on how you have your bar / stem set up will depend on what can be done. You really need to drop your bars and 2 to 4 cms if you can so that your arm rests will be sitting at the same height your bars were at least. Hence maybe needing an adjustable stem. Just sticking aero attachments straight on to you road bars with out dropping them means your head is still sitting up pretty high.
Also with those bars make sure you have a torque wrench and some carbon paste... they have a habit of rotating ( especially armpads ) if not cranked up well.

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:04 am

I'm waiting on a set of Profile T2+ aero bars for my road bike, which is going to be a time trial bike for a couple of seasons. I rarely use the drops, and if I'm going to lower the stem to get the fit as suggested here, I probably never will again. What I'm wondering is whether I can cut the drops off and plug the bars just below the brakes, or is this prohibited under some UCI/safety/modification rule?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:58 pm

toolonglegs wrote:You can run the saddle as far forward as 5cm behind the BB.
That rule only applies to UCI (and local affiliate) sanctioned events. For triathlon it's still pretty much anything goes.
FiveDaysAWeek wrote:I'm waiting on a set of Profile T2+ aero bars for my road bike, which is going to be a time trial bike for a couple of seasons. I rarely use the drops, and if I'm going to lower the stem to get the fit as suggested here, I probably never will again. What I'm wondering is whether I can cut the drops off and plug the bars just below the brakes, or is this prohibited under some UCI/safety/modification rule?
Why not just get a bullhorn bar then? :idea:
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:51 am

Flop and chop?

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:52 am

Chopped the bars and ended up with what I thought was a nice looking setup. Unfortunately it probably falls foul of the 'no modifications' UCI rules so ended up getting a bullhorn bar anyway along with a set of bar end brake levers and bar end shifters for the extensions.

Putting in time on the rollers now to get used to steering and shifting in the aero position and to practice moving from bullhorns to aerobars and back without wandering off line. Three weeks to my first Calga doesn't seem like a lot of time to get it sorted but we'll see how things turn out on the day.
Last edited by FiveDaysAWeek on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:27 am

Duck! wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:You can run the saddle as far forward as 5cm behind the BB.
That rule only applies to UCI (and local affiliate) sanctioned events. For triathlon it's still pretty much anything goes.
The UCI rule changed this year. You may automatically have peak of saddle no further forward than vertical line through centre of BB (but if you do then the extensions are limited to 75cm in front of BB). Alternatively if extension go beyond 75cm (but by no more than 80cm) then peak of saddle must be 5cm behind BB. No morph checks anymore.

There are most definitely triathlon bike rules and they differ depending on the event and governing body. It's not a free for all.

For example, ITU competitions (e.g. Olympic styles events) uses UCI bike regulations as follows:
5.2. Equipment:
a.) In general, UCI rules, as of January 1st of the current year, will apply during competition and also during familiarization sessions and official training:
(i) UCI road race rules for draft-legal triathlon and duathlon races.
(ii) UCI time trial rules for draft-illegal triathlon and duathlon races.
(iii) UCI MTB rules for winter triathlon, cross triathlon and cross duathlon races.
b.) Bikes must have the following characteristics:
For Triathlon Australia (IM type events), the rule on peak of saddle is no more than 5cm in front or 15cm behind BB. There are a detailed set of bike set up rules for TA:
http://www.triathlon.org.au/Assets/Tria ... y+2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FiveDaysAWeek wrote:I'm waiting on a set of Profile T2+ aero bars for my road bike, which is going to be a time trial bike for a couple of seasons. I rarely use the drops, and if I'm going to lower the stem to get the fit as suggested here, I probably never will again. What I'm wondering is whether I can cut the drops off and plug the bars just below the brakes, or is this prohibited under some UCI/safety/modification rule?
You may not modify equipment in such a manner if it's a UCI event. Equipment used has to be as supplied by the manufacturer.