Want to start Time Trials

Explosive 007

Want to start Time Trials

Postby Explosive 007 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and wondering how I go about getting into time trials.
I live in Sydney.
Do I need a license, join a club what are the precdures?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

stevecassidy

Re: Want to start Time Trials

Postby stevecassidy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi Explosive,
in Sydney, ATTA run time trials on the first sunday each month over 25 or 43km out at Calga. I believe if you're only interested in TT, not other racing, you can join ATTA which is cheaper than joining a Cycling Australia affiliated club.

Times and maps here:

http://cabici.net/clubs/ATTANSW/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ATTA NSW website itself (http://www.atta.asn.au/program.html#nswprog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is a bit hit and miss, but they run a well organised race.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

Explosive 007

Postby Explosive 007 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks Steve,

So just turn up on the day with your license and your good to go.
And grading happens on the day?

Cheers
Zak

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:16 am

Hi Zak,

I am similar to you. Have done Calga once. Intend to do more but have been unable to so far.

There is no grading for TT as far as I know. You are against the clock racing only yourself. You can compare your result to others, but there is no grading system to win a grade or class. The fast guys are on full TT rigs and I was on a standard road bike setup, but there was no grading or record on the results of that. They do give you an age adjusted time in the results that allows to to compare yourself based on an age handicap, but that is about it. It is pretty informal, and you can ride whatever you like.

One other tip is that the order of starting is in your sign on order. Starting from number one they run a start every minute from 8. If you sign on late you may be waiting for 2 hours for your start. That may be what you are after, but I ended up not finishing until about 11.

I do a bit of crit/road racing, and I can say that a TT had me pushing myself a fair bit more than in any other racing. I was completely burnt out by the end of the 43k I did, and it took me a couple days to recover. In a crit I am always good to go next day. Seems sustained high intensity is harder for me than medium intensity with an occasional burst of very high intensity. That probably depends on how hard you push yourself obviously, but it was very different for me to other forms of racing. Basically the last 2/3 of the course was a suffer fest all made good at the end by achieving my goal!

Cheers,

Adrian

Explosive 007

Postby Explosive 007 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:29 pm

Hi Guys,

Going to try and get out on Sunday and give it a go.
Anyone going out on Sunday?

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:18 pm

Did you end up going? I couldn't make last Sunday's Calga, but am aiming to do the 25km on 7th September which will be my first TT, riding a Giant road bike with bolt-on aero bars.