TT Bike Question

ft_critical

TT Bike Question

Postby ft_critical » Sat May 16, 2015 3:08 pm

Hello all,

Does anyone have either of these bikes?
  • BH AeroLight RC 105
  • Giant Trinity Composite 1
Assuming you do, would you recommend them? Good and bad? Any idea of the weight? I am looking to ride them in Time Trials not Triathalons.

Thanks,

FT

thearthurdog

Re: TT Bike Question

Postby thearthurdog » Mon May 18, 2015 10:17 am

I had a Giant Trinity Composite 1 for two seasons. I recently upgraded it. I really only did that because I wanted Di2 on my time trial bike. Overall, I was very happy with the Giant. The cable situation on the front end was a little messy, but without the integration you see on most of the higher end TT bikes that is to be excepted. I found it easy to set up and had no issues fitting onto the biggest size at 193cm tall. I couldn't tell you about the weight because when you always ride an XL you tend to not be much of a weight weenie. I think in terms of value for money they have to be one of the best TT rigs out there. I would happily recommend it.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 18, 2015 3:20 pm

Do people weight TT bikes :mrgreen: ... Unless you can afford a Lightweight disc your TT bike is going to be s weenie ;-)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 19, 2015 12:38 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Do people weight TT bikes :mrgreen: ... Unless you can afford a Lightweight disc your TT bike is going to be s weenie ;-)
I think I once saw a P5 Cervelo mentioned at 7.8kg, but I can say my 54cm one is nowhere near that (it is 9.2kg)! :lol: Not that it matters, and it comes down to which components you use on it. Some saddles might be lighter than others, but they also might be torture devices as well. As it is, I can do 130+km on that bike and it is great, feels like you've not ridden anywhere or on only the smoothest roads. A good saddle and a good fit makes an amazing difference.

I think the Giant is probably a good safe purchase, they have good after sales support as well. But ultimately, it comes down to being able to test each one.

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue May 19, 2015 3:08 pm

I have a Giant Trinity 1 that I compete on - I love it

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue May 19, 2015 10:32 pm

Parker wrote:I have a Giant Trinity 1 that I compete on - I love it
Don't listen to her...she only loves it because it's pink :wink:

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed May 20, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks. I would be good to get an opinion on the BH. I hear their frames are light and quite stiff. yes of course vertically compliant. I have heard from the 'internet' some reports of Trinity frame wobble.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Thu May 21, 2015 6:23 am

I'm 193 cm tall, weigh 85 kg and (ahem) have a few watts at times. My Trinity frame never 'wobbled'.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu May 21, 2015 7:56 pm

thearthurdog wrote:I'm 193 cm tall, weigh 85 kg and (ahem) have a few watts at times. My Trinity frame never 'wobbled'.
Thanks, I thought as much.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri May 22, 2015 1:21 am

Don't own either my TT bike is a Kuota, piece of advice from my experience get a brand with known support or uses standard parts.

ie I cracked my seatpost on my Kuota Kalibur. it is a known "issue". Could not buy a spare as there is no current Australian ( or US) distributor, european shops did not have any stock (sold out to ausssie and yanks) so instead of new I had to get it repaired at a higher cost.

That would be my concern about a BH, support over the new couple of years was erratic

That said my crit/road race bike is a Canyon which is/was never distributed in Australia. Replace my derailleur hanger off ebay, replaced my seatpost with a standard 27.2mm example

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 22, 2015 8:03 am

toolonglegs wrote:Do people weight TT bikes :mrgreen: ... Unless you can afford a Lightweight disc your TT bike is going to be s weenie ;-)
My TT bike is heavier than my road bike but its not so much about the disk wheel but the frame, its almost like a carbon track frame
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri May 22, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks Nick a good tip,

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue May 26, 2015 9:59 pm

ft_critical wrote:
thearthurdog wrote:I'm 193 cm tall, weigh 85 kg and (ahem) have a few watts at times. My Trinity frame never 'wobbled'.
Wobble? I can push 240 watts for an hour. It doesn't wobble, probably that comment is more to do with bad core control than frame quality. It's a lovely bike.... And it's pink :)

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed May 27, 2015 12:15 am

Parker wrote:
ft_critical wrote:
Wobble? I can push 240 watts for an hour. It doesn't wobble, probably that comment is more to do with bad core control than frame quality. It's a lovely bike.... And it's pink :)
You realise you'd be able to push 300 watts for an hour if it was red instead of pink :wink:

Now a Scott Plasma is a brilliant bike (when in red). Apparently more indestructible than my shoulder :oops:

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed May 27, 2015 1:50 pm

Went for an older Alu P3. The others turned out to be somewhat vaporous offers

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:19 pm

Still a fast bike* if you get your fit sorted. :wink:

*Roughly as aero as the older P2C - so not quite as aero as the top tier bikes but still a great option.

That is what I still race on - can't justify the cost of a new top tier frame!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 27, 2015 2:47 pm

I need about 1 1/2 minutes improvement in an ITT. Updated my equipment isn't going to get me that. I have pondered about my ride position, there's probably a few seconds in there but most of the improvement needs to come from increased average wattage output

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:29 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I have pondered about my ride position, there's probably a few seconds in there but most of the improvement needs to come from increased average wattage output
Unless you have spent time in a wind tunnel or a large chunk of time field testing, I would suggest you can still find a lot more than a few seconds... :wink:

I went into the Monash wind tunnel back in 2008 with what I thought was a good position. Came out with a far greater understanding how even subtle position changes can make a big difference. More importantly >40 Watt savings where only ~10 Watts saved was a new helmet the rest position. 8)

toolonglegs

TT Bike Question

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 27, 2015 3:41 pm

Seeing your track position Mike I would suggest there maybe a lot of time saved in your position... post a selfie on your tt bike.
I seem to remember your head was up quite high. Some one as flexible and with the core strength you have should be able to lower your head in line with your back a fair bit more.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 28, 2015 9:03 am

The Track position has a problem with the frame, I'm intending to fix that by switching from a pista stem to a hinged stem. The TT bike position looks and feels much better thanks to a much shorter frame head.

Also in that track picture I had lifted my head to look at the split time between myself and the competitor on the big display above the grand stand, but I also agree that I could benefit from getting my head lower.

No doubt there is room for improvement, I would love to do that wind tunnel test dalai - gimmie that 50 watts :)

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun May 31, 2015 8:46 am

dalai47 wrote:Still a fast bike* if you get your fit sorted. :wink:
I will pop a photo up when it arrives next week. Fit eh... I have had a road bike fit and I have all my target dimensions ... and I just know that is not what you mean! You mean I have to get a specific TT fit.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:04 am

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:25 am

ft_critical wrote:
dalai47 wrote:Still a fast bike* if you get your fit sorted. :wink:
I will pop a photo up when it arrives next week. Fit eh... I have had a road bike fit and I have all my target dimensions ... and I just know that is not what you mean! You mean I have to get a specific TT fit.
Very simply, start by rotating your road position forwards around the bottom bracket. This means seat forward, probably up a touch and shoulders lower (which will happen due to the bars). Trying to ride a "road" position and just dropping down on aerobars doesn't work very well in terms of comfort or power.
Thats my experience, anyway.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Thanks KGB. I have done pretty much as you suggested. I tried it out on the trainer - it seems okay. I will find out tomorrow I guess, at the Calga TT.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:53 pm

Looks nice FT, I'll be drooling over it tomorrow