Wearing a TT helmet properly

marc2131

Wearing a TT helmet properly

Postby marc2131 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:59 pm

I bought myself a Lazer Tardiz TT helmet recently. Haven't used it yet but have a few questions.
Is it important for the helmet tail to sit flush on your back when in the aero tuck? If that was the case i would need to place the helmet rather high above my forehead to compensate for my old bodies inflexibility.
My am an older rider and feel I would not be able to hold the aero tuck position for longer than 5 to 6 mins at a time. So from this I assume I will be moving around including the position of my head.
What if the tail sat about 10 cm off your back ie. a 10 cm gap between the tail and your back.
... 15km short of a cardiac arrest ...

Derny Driver

Re: Wearing a TT helmet properly

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 pm

marc2131 wrote: What if the tail sat about 10 cm off your back ie. a 10 cm gap between the tail and your back....
Mate I wouldn't worry about that .... its probably a millisecond per kilometer slower but you can make that up with the brute strength that comes with age :P

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:06 am

You don't have a helmet suitable for your current positional abilities on the bike. Sort the latter out first.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 pm

marc2131 wrote:I bought myself a Lazer Tardiz TT helmet recently. Haven't used it yet but have a few questions.
Is it important for the helmet tail to sit flush on your back when in the aero tuck? If that was the case i would need to place the helmet rather high above my forehead to compensate for my old bodies inflexibility.
My am an older rider and feel I would not be able to hold the aero tuck position for longer than 5 to 6 mins at a time. So from this I assume I will be moving around including the position of my head.
What if the tail sat about 10 cm off your back ie. a 10 cm gap between the tail and your back.
You might have been better with a Kask Bambino or POC Cerebel (instead of the long ones). You'll probably need to work on increasing your flexibility. This should be possible, but it'll take time.

This is POC Cerebel: http://www.ciclismoafondo.es/media/cach ... c26536.jpg

I think those ones are a little more practical. But you do notice the unusual things about them like when you turn your head, you can notice the aero effects quite a lot, something that isn't so obvious on a normal helmet. I don't know about the POC, but I do know about the Kask one.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:35 pm

OK thanks guys. I dont think I can justify the purchase price of a Kask Bambino type helmet. I have 3 kids and the wife keeps an eye on the budget. Will stick to the Tardiz and see how things go. Have done TTTs for about 5 years now and only done 2 ITTs to date. First time I'll be going the whole 'aero' hog.
... 15km short of a cardiac arrest ...