Buying a Helmet - Pricing and Availability Online

march83

Buying a Helmet - Pricing and Availability Online

Postby march83 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:29 pm

So i'm biting the bullet and buying a proper helmet but I'm having trouble stomaching the incredible prices on decent lids.

I've looked at:
Bike exchange
bikebug
pushys
cell
99bikes
erudy

is there anyone else local who might be worth looking at for range or price? None of my local stores stock TT helmets so it really makes no difference as to whether I buy online or in a store.

FWIW, I'm a head down sort of guy and my advisors are pointing towards a shorter tailed option. I'm 59-60cm so i need something big.

MattyK

Re: Buying a Helmet - Pricing and Availability Online

Postby MattyK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Triathlon Marketplace on facebook.
https://www.torpedo7.com.au/shop/bike/helmets---road
https://www.cyclingexpress.com/en/produ ... elmet.html

c r c have a Giro Advantage 2 AS/NZS going cheap, but only in small :(

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:18 pm

I saw a video somewhere showing that the Melbourne Bike Share helmets whilst less aero than a full TT helmet, they were better than a regular road helmet.

At $5 that has to be the best improvement vs dollars you can get as far as equipment goes...

Cheers,

Cameron

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:17 am

march83 wrote:So i'm biting the bullet and buying a proper helmet but I'm having trouble stomaching the incredible prices on decent lids.

I've looked at:
Bike exchange
bikebug
pushys
cell
99bikes
erudy

is there anyone else local who might be worth looking at for range or price? None of my local stores stock TT helmets so it really makes no difference as to whether I buy online or in a store.

FWIW, I'm a head down sort of guy and my advisors are pointing towards a shorter tailed option. I'm 59-60cm so i need something big.
I think the best of those helmets would be the Kask Bambino, but you are looking at $400. Which is cheap compared to back in the day when I tried one, they were then retailing for $499. The mirror visor is pretty crazy looking - but with the benefit that nobody else can see through it. ;) POC Cerebel is another one, but I'm not sure it is sold here.

Edit: This might be a possibility: https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/GI ... -tt-helmet

Cheap enough, and sans-visor could be used as a normal road helmet. But not a full on TT helmet though, seems more of a half-way measure.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Giro Air Attack hasn't tested very well. Neither has the Giro Advantage 2. I'd pass on both!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:05 pm

I haven't noticed many Air Attack helmets, and the last one I saw didn't look particularly aero.

Possibly one benefit to not wearing one, this won't happen:

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:55 am

If you go to bicycleexchange.com.au, just search aero helmets. The range is widening every few months.
Notice nowadays you can get hold of a 'long tail' type aero helmet for around $120 to $170 ish. Ignore the overly expensive Kask Bambinos etc. They are good and newer but can you justify the costs?
... 15km short of a cardiac arrest ...