Commute Pictures.

soc

Postby soc » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:22 pm

Damn Wazza, you beat me to the Redcliffe photo's. I was going to take some this weekend.
Where are those bike lockers, Shorncliffe Station?

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:38 am

Hey Soc,
Correct about the lockers. The ride home yesterday was shite. 15-20knots on the nose all the way :shock: :shock: Worst afternoon ever, since starting this commute. Even tried Brighton Tce instead of the esplanade but to no avail :( :( (I know, HTFU)
Waz
Wazza

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:42 am

eucryphia wrote: Why would you drive when you can be out there in it...
The bike path gets busy with beach cruisers and peds so you need the road to get a move on. Still the same similar view :wink:
Waz
Wazza

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:16 am

Wazza wrote:Hey Soc,
Correct about the lockers. The ride home yesterday was shite. 15-20knots on the nose all the way :shock: :shock:
That all? :twisted: You need to come over here and have a few rides :).

My regular Joondalup to Fremantle commute is 42 km into winds ~ 20 knots (~ 35 km/h) (pretty much the summer norm). The ride is coastal with the winds coming in straight off the ocean so no protection. Tuesday's ride was around 24 knots (~ 43 km I think).

Also anyone heading south from the city copes it coming off the river ... similar situation, exposed, large open area of water ...

Andrew

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:03 pm

eucryphia wrote: Vista with the destination in view, it's not so far...
Nice photo's.... reminds me of Tassie / Hobart in many ways. :D

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:20 pm

cavebear2 wrote:Nice photo's.... reminds me of Tassie / Hobart in many ways. :D
As a native Hobartian who has lived in Canberra - they have many similarities (just not climate) ;)

soc

Postby soc » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:39 pm

About 6.00am this morning - apologies for the quality, taken with a camera phone...

Random Street in Scarborough (Redcliffe)

Looking East from same street

Scarborough Beach looking Northwards - Moreton Island would Nor-East of here

Scarborough Boat Harbour

Sun trying to break through

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:07 pm

Took these photos on my commute yesterday morning.

They are the peaceful highlights of an otherwise pretty standard urban commute from just north of Brisbane (Pine Rivers) into the Brisbane CBD.

The evening trip home is just straight down the highway...so not much to show of that.

Horse on bike path in Brendale

Into ALbany Creek now

Stafford/Grange

Grange

Wilston

Crossing Enoggera Creek into Herston (edit: originally gave wrong creek name)

Wickham Tce in the City.
Last edited by Pax on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

eucryphia

Postby eucryphia » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:12 pm

This is what I love about commuting by bike...

Out there in the countryside, calmed by vistas of bucolic splendour rather than torture from the sensory and emotional onslaught of peak hour traffic, arriving at work refreshed by the vigorous exercise, a cheerful 'good morning' to the podgy, unfit 'yoof' half (quarter) your age, wouldn't miss it for quids...
Pax wrote: Image

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:26 pm

eucryphia wrote:This is what I love about commuting by bike...

Out there in the countryside, calmed by vistas of bucolic splendour rather than torture from the sensory and emotional onslaught of peak hour traffic, arriving at work refreshed by the vigorous exercise, a cheerful 'good morning' to the podgy, unfit 'yoof' half (quarter) your age, wouldn't miss it for quids...
Pax wrote: Image
Lol

you don't know this area very well...... It Looks like its out in the countryside, but this little farm on Leitchs rd is about 1K (as the crow flies) from the start of the Bruce Hwy.....about 20k north of Brisbane. It is one of the very few farms still left on the north side of Brisbane.

P.S. PAX, if you want put a pic of the mailbox up, go for it.......unless I beat you to it, since it is sort of on my commute from the front door to the door of the truck.... :P
Andrew

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:48 pm

Yep, fair call Lark, the rural bits are brief in my commute but they do make it a delight, I look forward to them and enjoy them every time I cruise (or hammer) through. :D

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:57 pm

I like that area down there too, though usually I don't have to worry about the horse being on the path.

I actually grew up just around the corner from there in Albany Creek, back when it was really out in the sticks.

I also enjoy riding around the bottom edge of North pine Dam, from Forgan Cove to Bullocky Rest, then up Todds Rd (I start by going down Samsonvale rd).

Out of interst, Did you used to ride into town with a small group of guys who met out the front of the Lawnton swimming pool....this wouldv'e been about 4 or 5 years ago, we would leave at about 5:30 am if I remember correctly.... I'm scratchy on the names, but I think there was Kevin, Paul, John, Me (Andrew), young Andrew (MTB), and Koss?
Andrew

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:35 pm

Say What :roll: absolutely!! Bloody hell...hadn't put 2 and 2 together Andrew. I had a BRIGHT GREEN Avanti Barracouda back then.

Kevin, John and I all worked for Qld Health in those days and we rode to the RBH/RCH for the start of work. We all finished at different times so tended to ride home separately. Sean also used to join the ride but he worked at Prince Charles Hospital.

Kevin and John don't ride any more. Kev is into motor bikes these days and had a very cool Triumph. John recently bought the independent Supermarket on Samsonvale Rd...can't remember the brand of shop though.

Paul was in IT. Have lost track of him. He was a freak on a bike. God he could go!

Toss has been off the bike for a while but was last spotted shopping for a new Road Bike in October.

Steve still rides. He had a DVT so was ordered off the bike by his Dr for a while but has retired now so is a cyclist of leasure (lucky bas**rd). He's building the fitness back up.

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:01 pm

well there you go :D ...... I've been rather slack with regular riding since those days, even more so now that I'm driving a truck.... :oops:
Andrew

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:14 pm

ahhh so that is what that bridge over Breakfast Creek looks like.

I have never had to use that one yet.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Pax

Postby Pax » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:11 pm

beauyboy wrote:ahhh so that is what that bridge over Breakfast Creek looks like.

Donald
Yep, bit of a squeeze if someone comes the other way. There is also another one (wider and newer) a bit down stream from this one.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Well guess your dreams may be answered a new bridge in the site of the photo I think is to be built. I remember Active trans saying they were going to build a new more direct bridge.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Pax wrote:
beauyboy wrote:ahhh so that is what that bridge over Breakfast Creek looks like.

Donald
Yep, bit of a squeeze if someone comes the other way. There is also another one (wider and newer) a bit down stream from this one.
OOOps just noticed this morning that it is Enoggera Creek not Breakky Creek...sorry to mislead. I've ridden past the sign every day all year :roll: :oops:

snark

Postby snark » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:14 am

Not sure if this qualifies as a "commute" pic, but on my regular ride for a couple of weeks while away visiting the in-laws in FNQ I saw this:

Every time I rode over the range at Etty Bay (about an hour or so's drive south of Cairns), I'd see at least one and once saw four Cassowaries. The little fella in this picture was quite friendly and was keen to walk towards me, but I didn't want dad getting unhappy so tried to keep my distance.

Simon.

provoked

Postby provoked » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:01 am

Man, I'm so jealous of you guys. My commute in the northern suburbs of Melbourne is nothing but traffic and concrete.

I really need to head off to my beachhouse at St Leonards sometime soon to have a nice peaceful ride.
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:19 am

G'day

Nice snap Snark. Maybe we need a "what wildlife I have seen on my ride" thread as well.

Andrew

Max

Postby Max » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:27 pm

I really like that photo, snark! :D

Max

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:39 pm

snark i used to work out that way (the sugar terminal) for a few months and saw those overgrown roosters almost daily.

snark

Postby snark » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:42 am

Munga- Heh, small world. My brother-in-law has worked at the Mourilyan sugar mill for as long as I've known him (> 15 years now).

My "flat" ride was to the harbour and back, right down to the truck turn-around thingy at the very end. Saw the occasional cassowary down that way, but saw them every day at Etty Bay.

Simon.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:29 am

I should have said just rides, I've enjoyed all these photos and TTL's photos from other threads and his were not commuting pics.

I love where I ride but If I can't get to other places to ride it's great to see where others get to ride and alot of the city slickers have shown that hidden away in most big smokes there still (thankfully) some hidden treasures. :)

Maybe some of the new comers can come up with some new pics to look at. :) 8)

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!