44%
I carry my suitcase in my hand while riding
1%
Basket on handlebars
No votes

Total votes: 143
McPete

Postby McPete » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:23 pm

I use a Crumpler Messenger bag. It's not practical for really big stuff, but for the lunch, a few pens and a towel, it's just fine. However, a big-hitting, rain-riding flatbar is coming sometime later this year, and it will be wearing panniers, for when it's time to haul four sets of shirts and pants to the depot.

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:55 pm

il padrone wrote:
Pax wrote:You forgot to mention trailers!

OK to be fair it only happens on rare occasions but if I have to take a lot of weight or bulk (eg a couple of heavy files and the laptop) the Bob comes into use.
Yikes!! How heavy are your files? I would never condemn my laptop to travel in a trailer :(

Panniers for me.
Like I said it is only occasional and the files I refer to are lever arch files...no way I am putting then in a back pack!!

Truth is I don't own panniers, so it is the Bob or the Train and I'd rather ride if I can. Besides it causes a stir at work and that is always worth doing :lol:

PJZap

Postby PJZap » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:12 am

backpack, which I don't really like so I might try panniers for a while although this means getting my second bike up and running

njg02

Postby njg02 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:29 pm

Panniers for me. Backpack is no good for my shoulders. I should take one bag off though a/c starting to take stuff I don't need.

Neil

MJP Wilson

Backpack or Panniers

Postby MJP Wilson » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:47 pm

I voted Backpack, however, I have a QR ToPeak rack fitted to both my cycles. Apart from (sometimes) carrying the pannier bag, the rack keeps some of the wet muck off me and also has a Red Flasher fitted. Generally when I only need to take my lunch and wallet, it's the backpack.

Regards Michael

20thCB

Postby 20thCB » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Well I have both, currently using small backpack but tempted to use pannier again simply because I find the straps restrictive. I almost feel nekkid when I use the pannier 8)

sharktamin

Postby sharktamin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:52 am

Panniers or trailer for larger loads. Never regretted giving up the backpack thing. soft panniers are about the same weight as my back pack, so the only weight difference is the rack.

cuttsnake

Postby cuttsnake » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:13 pm

I have never used panniers, although my first bike did have a rack mounted on the back - great for extra school books.

Heavy stuff (eg work boots): taken to work in the car when required;
Lunch, clean clothes, etc in the pack each day.

It's been good the last few weeks of leave, riding around, carrying only water instead of all the extra kit.

Gregory_carroll

Postby Gregory_carroll » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Panniers - back pack gets a bit weird on a recumbent :-)
Lovin the Challenge!!

mylesau

Postby mylesau » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:17 pm

I was backpacking for a while, but changing to panniers made the world of difference. Kept thinking I was riding nude for a while. :shock:

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:50 pm

I used to wear a brightly-coloured World Youth Day back pack, but I get sweaty beyond belief wearing it. I now use some inexpensive Tioga Panniers on the back, have a basic Tioga rack top bag on the front rack, and now I also have (from ALDI) a rear frame bag. It's enough to take my change of clothes, shower gear and all my books too and from TAFE.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

cuttsnake

Pack or Pannier

Postby cuttsnake » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Hmm, you pannier people may actually convert me...

Tale

Postby Tale » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:07 pm

I'm commuting on a well-worn tourer with front and rear racks, and I have some good waterproof Ortlieb panniers. So it's a no-brainer just to grab one of those (a rear one) and carry everything in that. I don't need to care about rain. It also doubles as a sealed workmate-friendly container for stinky cycling clothes if you have nowhere else to put them.

People tour with panniers and not backpacks because it's preferable to have the bike do all the carrying. That way you can just ride your bike. I realise this isn't practical on a bike you wouldn't want to add racks to - but if you can, you should.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:15 pm

Backpack for me, with tools, tube repair kit, spare tyre (x1) spare tube (x2), spare spokes (x2), spare bateries for the lights, clean undies 8), rain jacket and that is it, Since I am not commuting everyday I bring my clean uniforms on days my shifts are to early for commuting :( .
It is only a light backpack that I got some years ago from Kahtmandu, it is made of a reflective fabric that will appear silver in front of car lights. it can also take a 2 litre hydrapack but I prefer a bottle on the frame.

I am lucky enough to have lunch provided (I am a chef) and my employer supplies me wiyt as many clean towells as I need as well as a shower- and I can park my bike in my office :wink:

sharktamin

Postby sharktamin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:33 pm

xavdav wrote:Backpack for me, with tools, tube repair kit, spare tyre (x1) spare tube (x2), spare spokes (x2), spare bateries for the lights, clean undies 8), rain jacket and that is it, Since I am not commuting everyday I bring my clean uniforms on days my shifts are to early for commuting :( .
It is only a light backpack that I got some years ago from Kahtmandu, it is made of a reflective fabric that will appear silver in front of car lights. it can also take a 2 litre hydrapack but I prefer a bottle on the frame.

I am lucky enough to have lunch provided (I am a chef) and my employer supplies me wiyt as many clean towells as I need as well as a shower- and I can park my bike in my office :wink:
xavdav, do you often need to use your clean undies? Just curios. I wonder should I be carrying some?

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:34 pm

I should have added that I wear a 1.5L hydration pack on my back whilst riding. It's a lovely little thing I got from Anaconda about a year ago - sits right between my shoulder blades and leaves my shoulders and lower back free to sweat and keep my body cool. I have attached a couple of $5 flashing red lights on the back from Dick Smith.

The panniers and rack-top bags are better, because the weight is down low and requires less energy to control.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 pm

sharktamin wrote:
xavdav wrote:Backpack for me, with tools, tube repair kit, spare tyre (x1) spare tube (x2), spare spokes (x2), spare bateries for the lights, clean undies 8), rain jacket and that is it, Since I am not commuting everyday I bring my clean uniforms on days my shifts are to early for commuting :( .

xavdav, do you often need to use your clean undies? Just curios. I wonder should I be carrying some?
I just do not wear undies with my lycra :wink:

itsaghostcar

Re: Pack or Pannier

Postby itsaghostcar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:19 am

cuttsnake wrote:Hmm, you pannier people may actually convert me...
resistance is futile :twisted:

trundle

Postby trundle » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:29 am

Panniers are great. With an Ortleib waterproof pannier, you can ride through a downpour and your stuff is completely dry when you get there.

I use a pair of panniers at the start of the week for carrying in 5 shirts etc. Every other day a single pannier on the left does it for lunch and odds and ends.

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:15 pm

I am looking to buy a pair of panniers. Have narrowed it down to Mainstream SL55's ($106) or Ortlieb ($155) - ProBikeKit - can't post links yet. Given that both are waterproof, have the same capacity etc - are the ortlieb's really worth the extra $50 - or will they be overkill for my general usage? I am now semi-retired so the extra time has allowed me to make the bike my preferred mode of transport for shopping etc.

Thanks
Jill
1987 Colnago Master Piu | 1994 Trek OCLV Carbon |2013 Colnago CLX 3.0 Di2

trundle

Postby trundle » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:39 pm

I don't know anything about the Mainstreams, but... the Ortliebs are fantastic. If I was buying panniers again I would get them.

I like the roll-top of the Ortliebs, it is amazingly waterproof. The mounting mechanism is also the best I have ever used.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:01 pm

Mainstream rear panniers

look very similar to my Ortlieb Bikepacker Classics

Oh, WOW!! They've changed the design of the Bikepacker Classic! Anyway on the older design the closing straps go right over the top and down the bottam to the lower rear stiffener. Maybe more secure to hold the gear?? And the Ortlieb top flap seems to give better coverage. Otherwise they are very similar.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks - have ordered the ortliebs, mainly because there seem to be spares readily available (although I would hope not to need to make use of them any time soon).

Jill

Mububban

Re: Backpack or Pannier?

Postby Mububban » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Backpack. I carry my laptop with me to and from work every day, and I don't like the idea of bouncing it around on my back wheel. At least on my back, my body acts as something of a shock absorber. Even if I do get extra sweaty.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

mikedufty

Re: Backpack or Pannier?

Postby mikedufty » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:33 pm

I used to use a backpack when I was at school and found it very unpleasant, especially the sweat. Made myself a couple of sets of panniers with my mum's sewing machine and have been much happier. My second set I put together in 1987 and they are still going well (just replaced the back boards once , mountings twice and the fabric once). The last couple of bikes I've bought a main selection criteria is they should be easy to mount a rack on.