I carry my suitcase in my hand while riding
1%
Basket on handlebars
No votes

Total votes: 143
gavinr

Re: Backpack or Pannier?

Postby gavinr » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:37 am

gregorian wrote:I recently moved from a backpack to a pannier. Nicer on my creaky old backbone.
But now when I ride off I have that nagging feeling that I've forgotten something. That feeling you get when your wallet isn't in your pocket.
I really noticed the difference when I made the same move. Felt as though I was a ton lighter and going like the wind. :)

Sadly my travel time didn't change by even a minute or two. :(

webman

Postby webman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:59 am

gavinr wrote:
gregorian wrote:I recently moved from a backpack to a pannier. Nicer on my creaky old backbone.
Sadly my travel time didn't change by even a minute or two. :(
It makes a big difference if you leave the pannier and all the stuff at home though :) Amazing how much quicker and easier the ride is :)

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:09 pm

Hey all,

I am now car-less and my road bike is my main means of transport until I built up a daily commuter and I don’t think panniers will work with a carbon semi compact: D, so I am looking for backpack options. Could anyone recommend a backpack that is smallish (fits a change of clothes), slightly aero (don’t know if this is possible) and fits nice and snug against the back.

Sorry to highjack this thread but I didn’t want to start another, when there seems to be a few backpack users here. :D

Cheers
James
"If you get rich off this stuff, just take care of my family. I don't want my kids to have to go to college."
GT Sport

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Crumpler or Deuter should fit your needs James.

My non commute backpack is a ~15yo Tioga.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Crumpler or Deuter should fit your needs James.

My non commute backpack is a ~15yo Tioga.

Shaun
thanks Shaun I will check them out.
"If you get rich off this stuff, just take care of my family. I don't want my kids to have to go to college."
GT Sport

greasefinger

Postby greasefinger » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Backpacks for maneuverability, like a few have said they can get hot.. but you can get hotter lugging around a load on your forks and rear... trying to get to speed... Most of the time I just need to carry a jacket and a few extra's, so I chuck everything it the makeshift hammock of clothing and wrap it around my top tube if it's light travel, but sometimes I've got 10 kilograms worth of books on my back, I've tried racks and god... even baskets. You just can't do that to yourself..... it makes riding horrible, so it goes on the back, if it's light load and in a hurry it's good to fit it onto the chest and get the heat off your back on the go, makes a big difference right at the halfway of a ride.

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:33 am

Got a backpack on the weekend and did a 100km loop in two parts - not too bad, but it did get pretty hot, maybe I should keep the backpack for shorter rides :)
GT Sport

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:05 pm

jaykay wrote:Could anyone recommend a backpack that is smallish (fits a change of clothes), slightly aero (don’t know if this is possible) and fits nice and snug against the back.
Deuter 28L cyclist - spaces the pack off your back, big enough for an A4 folder (just) and shirt in the top, food and shoes in the lower. Built in rain cover. May have been superceded by something else.

Just added a Topeak supertourist rack and Deuter panniers. Interesting contrast - much more pleasant than backpack on road. Makes the bike feel much heavier at a standstill. And panniers need to be secured - limestone track can shake them loose!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:40 pm

Panier in the old days when I studied. Now backpack.

On the giraffe I usually use a bumbag 'cos it's convenient to find stuff without dismounting and rummaging in the backpack.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:25 am

I ended up getting a pretty standard backpack from a camping shop, it does the job but I am pretty determined not to ride with it again as I did not enjoy riding with it at all. Should have done some more searching for a more suitable backpack me thinks.
GT Sport

cinnyis

Postby cinnyis » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:49 am

I only started commuting this year after buying an entry level Hybrid in December. On my first ride (a test ride to work to time the trip) I took a backpack weighing no more than 1kg. My back was killing me, which was a concern seeing as I need to take my laptop to and from work each day.... I rode home via the bike shop and had a rack fitted and bought a laptop bag with the clips to clip onto the racks and haven't looked back.
I've had no dramas with this system yet, but I do worry that the clips will break off one day seeing as they are only plastic and are holding quite a bit of weight. Has this happened do anyone before?

After reading through this thread I saw someone mention those "Wald" rear foldable grocery baskets. What a brilliant idea! I'm going to look into getting one of those for the days I want to ride the bike to the supermarket. I find the laptop bag isn't great for groceries, plus I don't really want to break it by overloading it with heavy stuff.
Dey see me rollin'
o__ ~~
_>/ _ ~~~
(_)\(_) ~~~~ Dey hatin'