Yay, first commute since it started raining in Sydney

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Yay, first commute since it started raining in Sydney

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:18 am

It was a bit miserable when I left home earlier than usual since I had to be at the office early for the phone guy. Just before 6am it was wet, cold (ish) and miserable. But in my long knicks, LS jersey, rain jacket and booties I was toasty and didn't overheat on the 27km ride. Glad I'm inside and drying out now though. :-)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:27 am

you are game, riding in this weather :shock: . well done for doing so though. i hope you had your lights on during the ride?
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:31 am

Pouring in Nth side of Brisbane this morning too but I decided to HTFU and did the ride in too.

Nice to be in the office now warming up (not thta is is cold up here, but a touch cool in the wet.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:12 am

ni78ck wrote:you are game, riding in this weather :shock: . well done for doing so though. i hope you had your lights on during the ride?
Ayups on the helmet, Ayups on the bike, two forward facing flashers, two red flashers on back of helmet, BastaSuper Flash and Cannondale Hindsight Ultra on my rack (mind out of gutter gents :-)). Add to that various bits of reflective material on my rain jacket, booties and a few other items and I think I had it covered. ;-)

My biggest worry was sliding out on some corners so it was a slow-and-steady commute.

I'm counting on the forecast being as advertised and giving me a dry ride home.......
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:20 am

Boognoss wrote:
ni78ck wrote:you are game, riding in this weather :shock: . well done for doing so though. i hope you had your lights on during the ride?
Ayups on the helmet, Ayups on the bike, two forward facing flashers, two red flashers on back of helmet, BastaSuper Flash and Cannondale Hindsight Ultra on my rack (mind out of gutter gents :-)). Add to that various bits of reflective material on my rain jacket, booties and a few other items and I think I had it covered. ;-)

My biggest worry was sliding out on some corners so it was a slow-and-steady commute.

I'm counting on the forecast being as advertised and giving me a dry ride home.......
you would of looked like a mobile xmas tree :wink:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:23 am

One tip from my ride in this morning - if you carry your work clothes with you, wrap them in a plastic bag or somesuch before putting them in your rucksack. When I got to work I found that the rain had been so heavy it had made its way inside my bag and my supposedly dry clothes were damp in places.

Sounds obvious now, but I didn't think of it when I was packing my bag last night. :(

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:43 am

Send some of that rain our way please. :lol: We still have record low rain fall, not that I'm complaining regarding my riding, but we do need rain. :(
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:53 am

ni78ck wrote:
you would of looked like a mobile xmas tree :wink:
That was the plan :-).

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:54 am

gavinr wrote:One tip from my ride in this morning - if you carry your work clothes with you, wrap them in a plastic bag or somesuch before putting them in your rucksack. When I got to work I found that the rain had been so heavy it had made its way inside my bag and my supposedly dry clothes were damp in places.

Sounds obvious now, but I didn't think of it when I was packing my bag last night. :(
I get the same with my panniers in heavy rain even with the rain covers. I learned that the last time I rode in when it was raining. Today was sweet :-).

Giant Rider

Postby Giant Rider » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:33 am

Gee, Simon your game, i have'nt been on either of my bikes now since the rain, and its killing me to sit in traffic on the commute to Martin Place and home again... Bring on the dry weather i say, even though i have enough wet weather gear to ride. How do you find the booties?
Keith - Gravity is both my best friend and my worst enemy!!

Roadie : 18 BMC Team Machine
Mountain : 14 Scott Spark 940

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:36 am

Giant Rider wrote:Gee, Simon your game, i have'nt been on either of my bikes now since the rain, and its killing me to sit in traffic on the commute to Martin Place and home again... Bring on the dry weather i say, even though i have enough wet weather gear to ride. How do you find the booties?
Hi mate,

The booties are just $15 on special Torpedo 7 jobs. They didn't actually soak through the shoes today but do on longer rides (just 1 hr give or take today). They stayed damp and my feet remained relatively dry. Rain running down my legs from above was the main source of moisture today. Highly recommended as your feet stay warm when wet which is essential in winter.

Cheers

Giant Rider

Postby Giant Rider » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks, will look into them as i'll still be commuting til about June, but will be taking a month off when bump turns up late april early may
Keith - Gravity is both my best friend and my worst enemy!!

Roadie : 18 BMC Team Machine
Mountain : 14 Scott Spark 940

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:53 pm

I'm happy to report that it was a dry commute home today. So glad I threw in a fresh set of short sleeved jersey and normal length knicks for the return. It was nice and warm again finally and I wasn't putting on damp clothes. Perfect :D.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Boognoss wrote:
gavinr wrote:One tip from my ride in this morning - if you carry your work clothes with you, wrap them in a plastic bag or somesuch before putting them in your rucksack. When I got to work I found that the rain had been so heavy it had made its way inside my bag and my supposedly dry clothes were damp in places.

I get the same with my panniers in heavy rain even with the rain covers. I learned that the last time I rode in when it was raining. Today was sweet :-).
Ortliebs :wink:

Dry gear :D
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:18 pm

il padrone wrote:
Boognoss wrote:

Ortliebs :wink:

Dry gear :D
Yes, Deuter currently. When they wear out I'll be shopping around more than the first time. Walked into the LBS, saw the panniers. "I'll take those thanks". :-)

leximack

Postby leximack » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:37 pm

good work Smon, was good to get back on the bike tonight for a gentle stroll to eliz dr and back. We all struggled a bit i think so we took it failry easily.
I am back commuting tomorrow.
The 15min 8.5km drive has been killing me the last couple of weeks :wink:

Don

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:59 am

Gee Don I know it's a hard drive :-)

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Finally got on the bike this morning.

10 days without a ride nearly killed me.

Legs were a little wobbly at first, and I could tell that my fitness had dropped slightly, but aftre the first 30 minutes, man it felt good.

This arvo looks like a gem. might have to take a long detour if I can get away early enough.

Kev.

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:19 pm

Wheeled the bike out yesterday morning, hmm was that a couple of drops of rain? Nah, she'll be right. Pull out into the street, hmm, I can't see the hill, could be rain, maybe I'll get around it.

Got pissed on from about 2km in :evil: Dried myself off as best as I could in the toilet with paper towel but had to go commando until my undies dried out (about 3pm!) Socks didn't dry out until lunch time and it was too cold to go barefoot so had to wear wet shoes with no socks.

Ah, the joys. I've been advised that stashing a spare pair of jocks and socks in a desk drawer is a good idea, probably won't do it though knowing me :roll: :lol: Might look into some of those booty things though.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Tale

Postby Tale » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:51 pm

I did my first ever commute by bicycle this morning (Sydney), after a trial run on the weekend. Through backstreets from Putney to Epping Road, then along the bike path to Artarmon.

Took about 45 mins, including various waits at intersections due to Sydney cycleway design (and behind some git who deliberately drove in a cycle lane to annoy cyclists).

Felt good, I intend on many more. Workplace also just built new showers and lockers - next time I'll leave earlier for a longer shower!
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

philip

Postby philip » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Awesome stuff Tale. Where did someone drive in the cycle lane?

Going up Epping Rd isn't the easiest of bike paths in Sydney! What time will you be riding? I often go that way (starting from the bottom of Mowbray Rd. though). I ride a red/white trek (or blue avanti if it's raining).

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi Everyone! My first post in this forum.

I've been commuting by bicycle to and from my local TAFE college for two weeks. It's only about 6km each way. Its a great experience, takes only about 35 minutes if I am taking it easy and the college has got a shower in a building close to my main classrooms.

So far, I've been rained on more than half the times I've ridden. I have a shell jacket which is good for keeping rain out, but is terrible because it keeps the sweat in. I'm lucky that I'm never wet for long, because a shower is always waiting for me at the end of the trip.

I ride an adapted mountain bike - new riser handlebars, comfort seat, front and rear racks and panniers, front and rear battery LED lights. I now travel almost exclusively by bicycle and love it.

I joined Western Sydney Cycle Network and so far I've rescued 4 bicycles off the street which are going into the re-cycling program.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:57 pm

Welcome Martin, good to have you on board.

Keep up the good work and that trip to TAFE will take you less than 15 minutes sooner than you think.

Kev.

Tale

Postby Tale » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 pm

philip wrote:Awesome stuff Tale. Where did someone drive in the cycle lane?
I got onto Epping Rd by coming up the last bit of Pittwater Road (intersection on north side of Lane Cove River). There is a car lane and a marked cycle lane, and peak hour traffic banked up. Everyone was sitting in the car lane except this one 4WD sitting right up to the kerb in the bike lane (with space next to him in the car lane). He saw me stuck behind him and stayed there, moving along slowly with the traffic. One of those "shoulda bothered getting the number plate" incidents, but it doesn't matter - I discovered a better route on the way home.
Going up Epping Rd isn't the easiest of bike paths in Sydney! What time will you be riding? I often go that way (starting from the bottom of Mowbray Rd. though). I ride a red/white trek (or blue avanti if it's raining).
I'll probably be hitting Epping Road just before Lane Cove River at about 8.20am, but might change my routine to start work earlier and finish earlier. We shall see. I'm on a currently rattling blue Trek touring bike (the front rack lost a bolt and the springs on my leather saddle are creaking - leaving it to the weekend to fix).
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:36 pm

Tale wrote: I got onto Epping Rd by coming up the last bit of Pittwater Road (intersection on north side of Lane Cove River). There is a car lane and a marked cycle lane, and peak hour traffic banked up. Everyone was sitting in the car lane except this one 4WD sitting right up to the kerb in the bike lane (with space next to him in the car lane). He saw me stuck behind him and stayed there. One of those "shoulda bothered getting the number plate" incidents, but it doesn't matter - I discovered a better route on the way home.
What an arrogant fricking 'tard. That's what I bought my Air Zound for on the commuter. :twisted: