Busses: 3rd time unlucky?

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Postby Dial » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:12 pm

In general I’ve found different coach companies have different attitudes towards cyclists. Where I ride Forrest coaches will almost always show you repsect but ShoreLine coaches will run you off the road. Like I say, it’s a generalisation. Some ShoreLine drivers show you respect, some Forrest drivers don’t
Dial

by BNA » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:23 pm

BNA

Re: Busses: 3rd time unlucky?

Postby Master of Sinanju » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:23 pm

I've had a couple of close calls also. Both from the Action and Deanes species.

In at least one case the driver must have known I was there but hadn't realised just how fast I was going when he tried to overtake and then suddenly pulling back into the left lane to stop for a passenger. I ended up on the footpath (hooray for full suspension and the bunny hop).

I've had several deanes buses crowd me out of the cycle lane on Canberra avenue as well as failing to give way to traffic (ie me) already on a roundabout. I got hit by a 4wd in this fashion a few years ago so my reaction to this is probably stronger than it really needs to be. It often seems to me that many drivers are very happy to pass only to immediately apply the brakes and turn left in front of you.

I've notifed the Qbn police on a couple of occassions and the response has ranged from "wow you are brave for riding on the road" to "nothing we can do without proof". The latter approach of course opens up an imaginative world of what I could get away with if I wasn't so sickenly law abiding.

At the risk of sounding cliched, cyclists have to be more careful if only because they are more vulnerable. Of course "careful" also involves a bit of being more assertive and visible, which can be nerve racking for a while.

I'm just grateful that I don't have to contend with Sydney or Melbourne style traffic. Canberra is still pretty much open road in comparison.

Somewhat ironically, I do catch buses and often on those trips, I see how difficult it can be for them to pull out from stops despite the giveway rule and it doesn't surprise me that sme drivers get tempted to push cyclists out of the way.
Master of Sinanju

Postby webman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:48 pm

I've notifed the Qbn police on a couple of occassions and the response has ranged from "wow you are brave for riding on the road" to "nothing we can do without proof". The latter approach of course opens up an imaginative world of what I could get away with if I wasn't so sickenly law abiding.

Ever since first starting to commute by bike, I've wondered about the possibilities of having some sort of video camera to film the ride. Some events would be worthy of submission to "Australia's Dumbest Drivers", and/or police, etc. Main issues I considered are:
1) How to attach it to the bike
2) Dirt/water on lens
3) Quality of the camera so that a person/vehicle is identifiable
4) Direction of the camera, often what you want to film is not directly in front, it is coming at you from the side, behind, etc...

These days my mobile phone can record a semi decent video, but how to mount that to the bike in a meaningful way?

Any thoughts?
webman

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:24 pm

webman wrote:These days my mobile phone can record a semi decent video, but how to mount that to the bike in a meaningful way?

Any thoughts?

Yep! :D Try this, new on the market: HD wearable camcorder. Has been used to shoot a few mountain bike vids to reasonable visual quality, such as this one: http://www.vholdr.com/video/sea-otter-practice-downhill
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby waynohh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:06 pm

trailgumby wrote:Yep! :D Try this, new on the market: HD wearable camcorder. Has been used to shoot a few mountain bike vids to reasonable visual quality, such as this one: http://www.vholdr.com/video/sea-otter-practice-downhill

ATC3K has only just enough detail to pick out a number plate frame by frame, provided you manage to get a fairly direct shot of it with the limited FOV.

ContourHD looks very enticing, but about 400 clams isn't cheap, though not too bad either I guess.

ContourHD facing forward, ATC3K facing the rear would be perfect!
waynohh

Postby eucryphia » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:58 pm

eucryphia wrote:
<snip>

...This time it was a huge silent white tour bus :shock:

<snip>

I'll update if I hear back.

I never head back...

But on tuesday, I was on the same 2nd off ramp, indicating as usual, I had a quick look back in my helmet mounted mirror* and there was my big silent white mate pottering along waiting for me to get past before he slid around behind me. Didn't get a good enough look at the number plate. Might have been the same driver, maybe my call wasn't in vain.

*yes, very dorky but I quite like it, I use it a lot.
eucryphia

Previous

Return to Commuting