Work Facilities

westab

Re: Work Facilities

Postby westab » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:03 am

I am lucky - I park my bike in the office, there are three male showers (assume the same number of female showers) and a locker in a large change room. The good thing about working on a manufacturing site is that the shower and a change room are a requirement under OH&S - we don't always like OH&S by there are some good things about it.

There is also lots of places to fill your water bottle with filtered water - That what we do.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 pm

As this thread has been resurrected, I should update earlier comments.

A few weeks before I took sick leave we added another 24 lockers to our existing 70 something. Opportunistic spares from somewhere at a throwaway price. We know how to save out pennies as we should.

So, what's out score? Nearly 100 lockers for around 400 people! That is way better than the recent architectural new-building target of 10%. Is there anywhere else in the Perth CBD that has numbers like that?

The downside is that when I get back to work in a week or so I have to start allocating those new lockers to people waiting.

(btw, if you are ever involved in setting up work place facilities, make sure all lockers require USER SUPPLIED locks. (ie Padlocks.) Maintaining a full set of spare keys and then cutting replacements for every locker is an admin nightmare. And when some one leaves and you do reallocate a locker there is no assurance that there are no keys for the locker still circulation.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

broady

Postby broady » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:03 am

We've got a bike cage, showers and lockers.

Unfortunately there is a huge shortage of lockers, so my locker is on level 6, while the showers are in the basement.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:35 am

broady wrote:We've got a bike cage, showers and lockers.

Unfortunately there is a huge shortage of lockers, so my locker is on level 6, while the showers are in the basement.
We have got large room with bike racks. Unfortunately though, as we add more and more lockers, there is less and less for the bikes. So far as I know the many who take their bikes into their offices has not been objected to by staff or the organisation. But if usage keep building, it will need addressing. I'm thinking about replacing the racks with hanging hooks maybe. The problem is a measure of the success we have had over several years, more and more people coming on board.

Showers (six of them) are immediately next door to the locker/bike room along with accessories (filtered water cooler, hair dryer from memory). There are also 32 lockers in the shower room which works well for the couple of dozen daily riders. As I have posted above, we now have around 100 lockers in head office.

There is a clothes line twenty metres away from the showers door. The whole lot is in the office car park with a short uncovered walk to the office entrance.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:56 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:The problem is a measure of the success we have had over several years, more and more people coming on board.
Based on that success you can probably get rid of a few car parking spaces ;)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:18 pm

My work is pretty good. Out of about 50 people I am the only who rides and I keep my bike inside.

I didn't have a proper change room so they built one. Only problem is I start at 7.15 every day so I have to leave early to do some decents kms.

gdt

Postby gdt » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:09 pm

Single shower on this floor of the building, but it's understood that cyclists and joggers won't use it within teaching hours (it's also the emergency shower for chemical spills). During teaching hours the gym is open and has a team's worth of fine showers. The gym also has a corridor filled with lockers, $25pa.

Locked bike cage on site, but generally no one minds too much if staff keep their bike behind their desk. The bike cage itself isn't in the safest place, so whilst your bike might be safe, more vulnerable people may not be.

Local laundromat has a "leave it with us on Friday, collect the clean ironed clothes on Monday" service aimed at cyclists (they have an ad in the window of the LBS). Costs me about $20pw for clothes and towels.

Best of all, they sponsor the TDU. This year it left from in front of my office, and we got seats at the finish line of the Classic, and a nice tent with food at the end of the Challenge Tour :-)

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:12 pm

gdt wrote: (it's also the emergency shower for chemical spills).
:roll:
gdt wrote: Local laundromat has a "leave it with us on Friday, collect the clean ironed clothes on Monday" service aimed at cyclists (they have an ad in the window of the LBS). Costs me about $20pw for clothes and towels.
That is VERY convenient. Clever laundromat. They know their market well. I wonder if others here will pick up on this.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

m@

Postby m@ » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:37 am

gdt wrote:The bike cage itself isn't in the safest place, so whilst your bike might be safe, more vulnerable people may not be.
Is there a leopard locked in the cage or something? :shock: :wink:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

gdt

Postby gdt » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:55 am

m@ wrote:Is there a leopard locked in the cage or something?
:-)
Whomever Property got to build the cage knew what they were doing -- it's not just a mesh thing. The best approach would be an angle grinder on the hinges.

The security is pretty typical for a uni entryway: card access on the door, PIR detectors, camera, lighting and duress point. Security see an alarm if the PIR sensors go off without a successful door access, the alarm brings the video to the top of the camera console. The PIR covers the bikes as well as the door. A klaxon goes off if the duress button is pressed.

So your bike is pretty safe from the public. But in the long walk across the campus you may not be, as when departing from about a third of the campus you need to pass by a local pub, the backs of housing and a semi-industrial park. That's OK for big boofy blokes like me, but I can well understand slighter people being nervous (and sometimes they're nervous of the big boofy bloke walking to the bike cage, which is a tad uncomfortable).