Work Facilities

Earthy Ochre Man

Work Facilities

Postby Earthy Ochre Man » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:55 am

At my request, a shower room has been installed on the mezzanine level of our factory office, along with a hook on the front wall which will allow me lock my bike up. The costs for this have been approximately $1500-$2000.00 (we don't have the bill yet).

Its not bad considering I am the only one who will be using it (only 4 of us work here) and I also have a company car which I dont actually need to use during the day.

Today is my first commute; its only a 20 minute ride each way which is only 5 minutes longer than it would have taken me to drive. What a great way to start the day!

Question - What facilites do you all have available at your place of work?

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Top employer you've got there :!:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:05 pm

Can I get your people to talk to my people....

Lucky sod!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:08 pm

Lucky bugger.

The company that I work for at the moment doesn't even have a male shower on site, yet employ about 600 people here :roll:

Oh, there is one, but it is located in the same space as an Industrial degreaser using TCE (Trichloroethylene :shock: ).

njg02

Postby njg02 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Whispering....Heated lockers, showers, clean and dirty lockers.

Steel industry!

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:14 pm

One shower that I share with 2 others, endless supply of towels, and I keep my bike in my office 8)

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:28 pm

My company encourages exercise and cycling to work. We have:

-Shower.
-Bike rack in the car park (but I have use of a small lockable room for my bike).
-Company cycling jersey.
-Corporate gym membership.

Oh, and table tennis, Xbox, and beer in the fridge. :D
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:57 pm

Lockable individual storage areas for up to 36 bikes.

Shower facilities for both men and women.

Lockers for both men and women.

Dry cleaning service for company uniform (free), or ultra cheap service for non-logo'd clothing ($5 for a pair of pants, returned in 2 days).

Mini-espresso machine right next to my office.

My commuting life has some up-sides.

KEv.

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Underground secure car park with bike racks.
Gym with 3 x mens showers and 3 x womens showers - on the same floor as the money wasting dept... I mean HR (surprise suprise).
Disabled bathroom on each of three floors, each with shower - no disabled employees as far as I know it, so I use the one on my floor to shower and hang up jersy and knicks. I am clearly not on the same floor as HR.

Am very lucky I guess.

justD

Postby justD » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:33 pm

I've been wondering about this. I'm in Newcastle now but may want to move to Sydney at some point.

I'm a computer programmer and generally my skills are in fair demand, but how do you say "I will only consider job offers from companies with good shower/cycle facilities"?

The company I'm with now have a shower and are fairly relaxed about parking our bikes inside the office. Thought I may have to retire with them as I'm not giving up commuting ever!

Tale

Postby Tale » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:52 pm

My employer (of a few hundred people) just built brand new facilities with a locker room and two showers. It's great, but they haven't quite got the locker thing worked out yet - have to sign the keys in and out, but we tend to hang onto them for a few days and they look the other way.

I currently have locker 007. Cyclist. Commuting cyclist. Showered not stirred.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:00 pm

Humph... mutter mutter.

Secure parking... more luck than intent.

Moving soon, there'll be showers but prolly no parking, really should talk to Colin about that...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Pax

Postby Pax » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:40 pm

I work for a not-for -profit.

No actual end of ride facilities but luckily the building manager where we lease also manages another building nearby that has a shower and he has given me access to that.

My bike is parked in my office so really no complaints. :)

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:22 pm

I commute to Wetherill Park TAFE College. There is a shower in the Male Toilets in B block (Canteen and Amenities). Bicycle parking provided is rubbish basically at the front entrance where any opportunistic thief could make a quick get-away. I park mine near the canteen area where I can see it when I walk out of my class building (I check it every break time). Lockers are in my class building, but I don't really use them as they are not particularly conveniently located.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:43 pm

I am a consultant and work on client sites.

Current client:
1 male toiler and 1 female toilet
amongst more than 40 (maybe 50) staff
no showers, etc
Bike storage is a spot under the stairs, no lockup capability, room for 4 bikes.

We have 6 riders - excess bikes we have to chain outside (I said WHAT?!, it's my baby).

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:01 pm

ClownBoy wrote:I am a consultant and work on client sites.

Current client:
1 male toiler and 1 female toilet
amongst more than 40 (maybe 50) staff
no showers, etc
Bike storage is a spot under the stairs, no lockup capability, room for 4 bikes.

We have 6 riders - excess bikes we have to chain outside (I said WHAT?!, it's my baby).
Just make sure you arrive before the last 2 riders ;-).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:04 pm

I have so far.

MJP Wilson

Facilities Available

Postby MJP Wilson » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:19 pm

I work in a group of fourteen in a modern open plan area with controlled access. Seven of us are regular riders. We are provided with shower and change rooms and the 'Steads' are kept within the secure area. All good for morale and it is a load off the mind knowing that your bike is safe.
regards and have a grand cycle day!

Michael
1991 Repco Olympic 14 Tri-Series
2008 Mongoose Sabrosa 3X9
2000 Apollo Millennium Peak MTB
1995 Raceline Enduro Alloy MTB

tomns

Postby tomns » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:05 pm

32 floor high rise in Brisbane CBD.

We have,

Parking, there is a 3 level carpark underneath with a guard/boom gate, the bikes are right across from the guard house. It will accommodate around 30 or so bikes.

Facilities,

2xMale showers and toilets down in the basement with air con and a separate mirror setup for ladies on the other side of the basement.

Lockers (for hire) etc.

On my floor I have 2 male toilets + 1 disabled toilet that is a massive size that we use as a change room to get into our nicks before heading home.

I work in Network & Telco operations, we have a small test lab on site which is great for hanging cycling gear and towels in to dry during the day.

Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif

suzieQ

Postby suzieQ » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Stinky toilet cubicle in which to change and hang my sweaty cycling gear for the day, leaky taps over the shared sinks and all the paper towels a girl could possibly want to dry myself with.

Actually at least I have a warehouse to house my bike all day so its safe and away from the elements, can't complain about that.

ColinOldnCranky

Our's are brilliant!

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:39 am

When I first started at my place of work there was a shower in the ground floor men's dunny. I and one other bloke were the only regular pedalists. On the door there was a cardboard sign hung on a nail that was occasionally turned over to say "WOMAN INSIDE" - it was never clear if this was a warning or an invitation. :lol:

Now we have got to have about the best facilities in the Perth CBD. We have separate mens and womens, three showers in each, iron, hair dryers and filtered water cooler. There is a lockup room that has had a max of 27 bikes anda unicycle. There are also racks for extra security. And an outside clothesline and pegs for that stinky gear.

But the real kicker is lockers. For around 300 or so people we have 63 lockers! That's one locker for each five or six staff or seven. Now that is AWESOME! And, being the one who allocates them, I can say they are well used, turning over one or two each week.

(The place also has a comprehensive wellness program. I think I may even miss going to work when I retire in a coupla years. Nah, just kidding!)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:53 am

When I first started at my place of work there was a shower in the ground floor men's dunny. I and one other bloke were the only regular pedalists. On the door there was a cardboard sign hung on a nail that was occasionally turned over to say "WOMAN INSIDE" - it was never clear if this was a warning or an invitation.
I could say many naughty things about that...
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

trundle

Postby trundle » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:38 am

Our facilities just took a great leap forward this year, with the addition of lockers. We already had bike parking and showers.

I think that a lot of employers will be doing this soon... encouraging bike commuting is obviously the thing to do right now.

Freshin_j

Postby Freshin_j » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:43 pm

I’m a male primary school teacher, which means I’m pretty much the only male on staff. All this equals three staff showers and seperate staff bathroom to myself. Sometimes I use different showers just to mix my day up. i keep my bike in the classroom which my kids love to clean with teacher supervision. Best job in the world :D
I live 2 minutes from work but when i ride there it takes over an hour for some reason :) X-Files for sure.... I love my Paconi.

nitecheck

Re: Work Facilities

Postby nitecheck » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 am

No shower... :x ............I am still working on this.... I'm VERY relaxed with securing bikes & multi parking motorbikes....but getting basic facilities is a real chore.... who would think this is 2009 & we that have climate crisis, dependency on oil, a recession & it's "trendy" to be "green" .......PLUS half a dozen car spots that a vacant each day!