Commute Routes

JohnJoyner

Re: Commute Routes

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:30 pm

wycle wrote:Hi

I am looking to bicycle commute to Sydney CBD (Town Hall) from the Bankstown area.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be the best route? I am looking for areas of low traffic if possible.
I used to ride in from Homebush & now I ride in from Revesby. If I was you I'd be getting onto Cooks River Cycle path as soon as possible, as suggested by Find Bruce. Airport Drive, Bourke Rd cycleway, Prince Alfred Park, etc....
I ride the M5 cyclepath & what's left of it is pretty crap, but I haven't much choice from my area.

http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=16&la ... ayers=B000

Try this link, it's pretty good too.

JJ

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:44 pm

I'll be commuting from Lane Cove North to the CBD. Any tips on routes?

I'd like the option to try both the safe route and the quick route, I just don't know what these are exactly! I just got my bike on Sunday and had a quick spin up the Epping Rd cycle lane and it spat me out in Naremburn at which point I turned around (as I didn't want to get caught in the dark without lights!)

Also, I've heard some stories about some agro cyclists on this route - Is it true? I'd much rather a pressure-free commute!

Any tips/advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
V

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:23 pm

V-meister wrote:I'll be commuting from Lane Cove North to the CBD. Any tips on routes?

I'd like the option to try both the safe route and the quick route, I just don't know what these are exactly! I just got my bike on Sunday and had a quick spin up the Epping Rd cycle lane and it spat me out in Naremburn at which point I turned around (as I didn't want to get caught in the dark without lights!)

Also, I've heard some stories about some agro cyclists on this route - Is it true? I'd much rather a pressure-free commute!

Any tips/advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
V
Welcome outside V. I am assuming you can find your way from the Epping Rd cycle path. I have only ever ridden with the tidal flow & never come across an agro cyclist on the path, but, human nature being what it is, I am sure they exist. Anyone who is riding against the flow will no probably have a different story. There are a few hazards you need to be aware of along the path - basically wherever cars can cross your path, there is always a risk they will do so without looking let alone giving way.

At Naremburn heading into town, cross the Brook St on-ramp up to West St. You then have a few options - Amherst St to the Warringah expressway take the Alfred St exit & cross under the bridge approach at Fitzroy St.

The other option is down West St & through North Sydney

Leaving the city, you have fewer options - cross the Pacific Highway at Miller St, left at Ridge, right at West

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:12 pm

find_bruce wrote: Welcome outside V. I am assuming you can find your way from the Epping Rd cycle path. I have only ever ridden with the tidal flow & never come across an agro cyclist on the path, but, human nature being what it is, I am sure they exist. Anyone who is riding against the flow will no probably have a different story. There are a few hazards you need to be aware of along the path - basically wherever cars can cross your path, there is always a risk they will do so without looking let alone giving way.

At Naremburn heading into town, cross the Brook St on-ramp up to West St. You then have a few options - Amherst St to the Warringah expressway take the Alfred St exit & cross under the bridge approach at Fitzroy St.

The other option is down West St & through North Sydney

Leaving the city, you have fewer options - cross the Pacific Highway at Miller St, left at Ridge, right at West
Thanks so much Bruce, this is really helpful! I'm going to give this a go on the weekend.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:13 pm

that's part of my regular commute to St Leonard's.
nothing untoward. have not come across any aggro cyclist.
you should be aware that there is a lot of pedestrians around the Longueville/Epping Road intersection. the foot traffic there during weekday peak hour is very different from the weekend.
also watch for cars entering Epping Rd from Phoenix and Kimberley St.
go slow with caution.

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:01 pm

caneye wrote:that's part of my regular commute to St Leonard's.
nothing untoward. have not come across any aggro cyclist.
you should be aware that there is a lot of pedestrians around the Longueville/Epping Road intersection. the foot traffic there during weekday peak hour is very different from the weekend.
also watch for cars entering Epping Rd from Phoenix and Kimberley St.
go slow with caution.
Thank you caneye, appreciate the tips. Out of interest, what's considered peak time? I'm interested in how busy things are at certain times. I.e. Is 7am still quiet and 8am full on peak hour?

Cheers!

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Ok so I had a crack at this route over the weekend and it must be my poor fitness levels (combined with 50/34 gearing on my bike), but it's unexpectedly hilly!! Good workout, but sometimes I feel like a flatter commute would be enjoyable too.

I'm sure I'll get better with time but the inclines were definitely more gruelling than I'd bargained for haha :P

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:21 pm

V-meister wrote:Ok so I had a crack at this route over the weekend and it must be my poor fitness levels (combined with 50/34 gearing on my bike), but it's unexpectedly hilly!! Good workout, but sometimes I feel like a flatter commute would be enjoyable too.

I'm sure I'll get better with time but the inclines were definitely more gruelling than I'd bargained for haha :P
One of the reasons I was glad to move out of chatswood is that its was always uphill to get home

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:29 pm

find_bruce wrote: One of the reasons I was glad to move out of chatswood is that its was always uphill to get home
I don't blame you!

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 am

V-meister wrote: Thank you caneye, appreciate the tips. Out of interest, what's considered peak time? I'm interested in how busy things are at certain times. I.e. Is 7am still quiet and 8am full on peak hour?

Cheers!
traffic generally build up from 7am onwards, when tradies hit the roads.

from 8am onwards, you'll see a lot more pedestrians, especially school kids.

oh .. tackle the hills as part of your fitness training :D

Manny

Postby Manny » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:16 am

Hello

I'm looking for some different options to commute from St Clair (Western Sydney) to the CBD. The "best" route I found so far is down the Great Western Highway through Parramatta turning left onto James Ruse Dr followed by Victoria Rd over Anzac Bridge into the CBD around 52km. Are there any good routes on the south side of the river. I really want to avoid zigzagging and Parramatta Rd.

I was also looking at taking the M7 bike path followed by the M2 but not sure about the roadworks detour between Windsor Rd & Penanthills Rd. is it easy to ride? Anybody got any "ridewithgps" routes or similar which I can load onto my computer.

Thanks for any help

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Anyone commute from Cromer or Narraweena to the city? any good routes? I have a relatively low tolerance for busy traffic

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:00 pm

I am a new poster to the commuting page/s... yet I have been commuting to work for the past 9 years!

I recently moved from the inner SE 'burbs of Melbourne to the Bayside suburb of Bonbeach - My previous commute to work was along the Princes Hwy from Oakleigh to the South Gippsland Hwy, though to Cranbourne. I rode this route (or various bike and train options) every day...but on reflection there wasn't anything to write home about with my commute. Lots of K's traveled alongside lots of traffic, and trucks, and noise...

My new commute has been something of a revolution, off-road shared paths, wide (marked) sealed shoulders and points of interest along the way. I am really enjoying the new ride :) so much so that i had to write a ride blog about it... and thought I'd share it here...https://commutetocrannie.wordpress.com/

Cheers - Johnno

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Manny wrote:Hello

I'm looking for some different options to commute from St Clair (Western Sydney) to the CBD. The "best" route I found so far is down the Great Western Highway through Parramatta turning left onto James Ruse Dr followed by Victoria Rd over Anzac Bridge into the CBD around 52km. Are there any good routes on the south side of the river. I really want to avoid zigzagging and Parramatta Rd.
(note: this route definitely doesn't avoid zigzagging)

Rather than going up James Ruse Drive, continue through Clyde along Adderley St W, then through Olympic Park to Concord West, back streets to Lyons Rd, then the Bay Run around Dobroyd Pde to Lilyfield Rd, then hit Victoria Rd around Balmain/Rozelle.

The whole concord/five dock area is something you need to explore yourself. Very busy in peak, and depends on your tolerance for traffic, cycle lanes, shared paths, rat runners, etc.

Here's what I used to do Parramatta to Balmain to give you some ideas. Infrastructure may have been upgraded since then.. it was about 10 years back and open cycle maps shows some other 'bicycle' routes, but it was something I optimised over time to avoid the worst of the traffic (eg: I used to use Queens Rd, but that is narrow, very busy, and much of it was concrete slabs).

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Pa ... in-commute

Richard Ngala

Postby Richard Ngala » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:23 pm

I’m trying to find the quickest way from Ermington to Macquarie Park or if there’s someone that rides this way to and from we cn ride together.hoping to hear back soon

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:03 am

Richard Ngala wrote:I’m trying to find the quickest way from Ermington to Macquarie Park or if there’s someone that rides this way to and from we cn ride together.hoping to hear back soon
I have replied to your thread Cycling route from Ermington to Macquarie Park

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:49 pm

I'm in Sydney, commute to my lab in Sydney uni in Camperdown from Lakemba.

Use the punchbowl road to Ashfield, and use Summer hill town centre to go to the roundabout, Lewisham, Petersham, turn left on crystal st and go to Westbourne st, Macaulay road following the bike signs, then go to Paramatta Rd to my lab

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1519126400

For the way back, now I just do the opposite, except I use the Milton st to go down, but I used to use the Parramatta road then turned left at Dover st.to Governor cross, then find way to Milton st after going to A22.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1450415626

Ofcourse, the Punchbowl road is kinda busy with no shoulder and you kinda have to be crazy to attempt cyling there, going with no shoulder with cars who don't seem to know cyclists exist and assume there will be no one brave to enough use the road. But as someone who has came from Bandung, Indonesia, and cycled there, and then comparing cycling to other cities (I did Bandung-Cianjur, Bandung-Garut, Bandung-Majalengka) it's not actually not bad

I mean, There are a group of families who love to do Bandung-Pangandaran in roads full of cars, motorcycles, trucks, often only two lanes. People going Bandung-Garut in weekends with folding bikes in congested roads. and its ok

why in australia it seems we don't look for each other, it's not something hard. it's like the road is n arena to fight, just weeks before, I witnessed a to be road rage, with the driver of those truck pickups with another truck pickup driver because one didn't yield at the intersection, one driver had already gone out of his vehicle for a fight.

And I keep asking myself, are my routes really scary? chatting with someone the other day, he said how Paramatta rd, Punchbowl rd, M5 are going to make me die.

n0mad1

Postby n0mad1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:01 am

Hi,

we are looking at moving to Putney/Ryde area, key consideration is the commute to Darling Harbour each day.

I've heard victoria rd is a death trap but looking to see if things have changed, i know i can ride up to epping rd and use the bike lanes there but would obviously add a bit of time.

The questions are:
1. Have things changed with the Victoria Rd bike route, is it still dangerous i'd much prefer this as it drops me off at darling harbour as opposed to Barangaroo.
2. would epping rd add significant time i'd guess 20mins but could be off there.

note: i currently ride from Mascot to Darling Harbour, mostly along Botany Rd, Wyndam, Gibbons st up to railway square.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:34 am

n0mad1 wrote:Hi,

we are looking at moving to Putney/Ryde area, key consideration is the commute to Darling Harbour each day.

I've heard victoria rd is a death trap but looking to see if things have changed, i know i can ride up to epping rd and use the bike lanes there but would obviously add a bit of time.

The questions are:
1. Have things changed with the Victoria Rd bike route, is it still dangerous i'd much prefer this as it drops me off at darling harbour as opposed to Barangaroo.
2. would epping rd add significant time i'd guess 20mins but could be off there.

note: i currently ride from Mascot to Darling Harbour, mostly along Botany Rd, Wyndam, Gibbons st up to railway square.
Welcome outside n0mad1. Yes you can ride up to Epping Rd - I do that occasionally when I want a longer commute. How much time it adds depends on your speed and exactly how much distance it adds, but an additional 20 minutes seems to me to be a reasonable guess.

Mostly I commute along Victoria Rd. I don't think it is particularly dangerous given (1) there are sections of suitable shared path, (2) you are entitled to ride in the bus lane which is not busy, (3) the average speed of motor vehicles along Victoria Rd is ~20 km/h

Once you have made your way to the corner of Victoria Rd & Meriton St, I would use the bus lane until Mortimer Lewis Drive, then take the shared path on the northern side, which takes you on a roundabout way onto the Gladesville Bridge (some people take a short-cut across the slip road). This brings you out onto Wrights Rd & Renwick St to the old Iron Cove Bridge & the footpath is in fact a shared path all the way to the Anzac Bridge. Be careful at the busy bus stop at Terry St & the 2 petrol stations - drivers will enter & exit without looking - it may be better to use the bus lane - I may be old & fat & slow but after Darling St its downhill & easy to maintain the speed limit

n0mad1

Postby n0mad1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:24 pm

find_bruce wrote:

The questions are:

Welcome outside n0mad1. Yes you can ride up to Epping Rd - I do that occasionally when I want a longer commute. How much time it adds depends on your speed and exactly how much distance it adds, but an additional 20 minutes seems to me to be a reasonable guess.

Mostly I commute along Victoria Rd. I don't think it is particularly dangerous given (1) there are sections of suitable shared path, (2) you are entitled to ride in the bus lane which is not busy, (3) the average speed of motor vehicles along Victoria Rd is ~20 km/h

Once you have made your way to the corner of Victoria Rd & Meriton St, I would use the bus lane until Mortimer Lewis Drive, then take the shared path on the northern side, which takes you on a roundabout way onto the Gladesville Bridge (some people take a short-cut across the slip road). This brings you out onto Wrights Rd & Renwick St to the old Iron Cove Bridge & the footpath is in fact a shared path all the way to the Anzac Bridge. Be careful at the busy bus stop at Terry St & the 2 petrol stations - drivers will enter & exit without looking - it may be better to use the bus lane - I may be old & fat & slow but after Darling St its downhill & easy to maintain the speed limit
Thanks for that, was able to follow on opencyclemap, it seems like a reasonable run.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:11 pm

I start my commute from this area, Bruce has it mostly covered off. A couple of other options is:

- if you want to avoid Victoria Rd at Gladesville, turn right at Meriton St, left at Ashburn Pl and duck into the old Gladesville Hospital. Follow that along, cross Crown st into the reserve and take a right at Huntley's Point rd to get to the bridge. I mostly use Victoria Rd from Meriton St however if I leave later (say after 730 - 8ish) I normally go through the hospital as the bus frequency ramps up, and I don't want to have to stop all the time for buses, or play leap frog with the bus.

If you want to put some extra kms in, I'll head across to Sydney Olympic Park, through Concord, Five Dock etc. That makes it about 30km as opposed to 13km odd direct.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:52 pm

tez001 wrote:

If you want to put some extra kms in, I'll head across to Sydney Olympic Park, through Concord, Five Dock etc. That makes it about 30km as opposed to 13km odd direct.
You also might want to explore the south-of-the-river route even when you don't want extra kays, depending on where you're starting in Putney. Shared path over Ryde Bridge, Llewellyn St through Rhodes, Nullawarra/Norman/Majors Bay along the golf club, then Brewer/Spring/Warbrick/Greenlees/Ian Parade/La Mascotte/Edith to Lyons Rd W, on to the Bay path, then Leichhardt/City as you desire.

jellicle

Postby jellicle » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 am

I’m riding from Austinmer to Wollongong CBD via the coast cycle path. I don’t have a question - I just want to gloat :P.

4xsama

Postby 4xsama » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:01 pm

I'm after a route from Haberfield to Olympic park with as little bike/car share paths as possible.

Is this doable? Distance isn't an issue as its not a work commute.

Cheers
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

Sshrestha

Re: Hornsby to North Sydney commutes

Postby Sshrestha » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:40 pm

Hello,

I understand this is an old post, but hoping I would find someone to guide me a bit. I want to start cycling from Chatswood to North Sydney. But it's a tuff decision as I have never cycled to work in Australia, and I also have to convince my wife that it is safe.
Anyone I could speak to and get some advice on the route.