Commute Routes

silkishuge

Re: Commute Routes

Postby silkishuge » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:17 pm

srl wrote:Hi Tale,

Thanks for that. In fact, I tried your route a couple of times ... and it nearly damn killed me! (On an old hybrid and pretty unfit, mind you.) I should give it another go. In the meantime, I discovered the bike path between Kissing Pt Road and M2, so now I'm riding from Thornleigh to Waitara Station, then following the back roads next to railway down to Turramurra, where I flick across Pacific Hwy on to Kissing Pt Road. About 40 minutes going to work and around 55 minutes coming home, 33km for the return trip. A few steep hills, but that's the only way middle-aged blokes like me will ever get fit!

Cheers,

Simon
Hi Simon, that is a reasonable route to use. I use that on occasion to get back Hornsby Heights. If it rains heavily, you might have to find an alternate route because the bike path that continues from Kissing pt rd can get flooded. I only had to deal with 5cm of water once, but I recommend getting off the bike to cross affected area.

J

marieparr

Wellington Street - Melbourne

Postby marieparr » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:21 am

Does anyone know if Wellington Street, Melbourne from Clifton Hill to Victoria Parade in the city is cycle friendly, bike path etc? I'm trying to find a bike friendly, most direct route from Heidelberg Road, Fairfield to top end of Collins Street in Melbourne. Any help is appreciated. Cheers

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:22 pm

I would use Helderberg Rd, turn right into Alexandra Parade, hop onto the "share path" at the junction where the service station is along Alexandra Parade, left at the Irish pub and back onto a residential street. This connects to Drummond if you take a right turn at one of the many perpendicular streets which will take you straight into town

J

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:08 pm

my new commute when i can be bothered is from preston to st kilda rd.

I live on high st, but cut through to the St Georges Rd cycle path then follow that to brunswick st, continue to victoria pde, left down (cant remember the name but end up near parliament) then down to swanston and follow it down st kilda
rd.

sooty

Postby sooty » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Does anyone know the best route between Erskineville (near Sydney Park) and the Domestic Airport? I'm a cycling newbie

Thanks!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:03 pm

sooty wrote:Does anyone know the best route between Erskineville (near Sydney Park) and the Domestic Airport? I'm a cycling newbie

Thanks!
The hard bit is the Domestic Airport end see http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Do ... in-Station as an example of what you can do.

The easy bit will be the middle section - just use the new Bourke Rd cycleway (just north of Mascot Stn in above bikely map).

Use www.opencyclemap.org, or something based on it, like http://www.bikemap.net/route/491337#lat ... =15&type=4 (select Terrain to OpenCyclemap). This will show you where the RTA/Council cycleways connect from Erskineville (stn) to the Bourke Rd cycleway etc.,.

Bikely web-site, and the opencyclemaps are your friends when planning cycling trips.

Cheers

WombatK

PS Write a letter to Sydney Airport Corporation and let them know what you think of their bike-antagonistic transport planning. Won't change anytime soon give the scat-loads of money they make out of car parking, but it will make you feel better.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 am

I have a need to ride from Mt Annan to Rhodes on occasion.
Problem is I haven't had a chance to scout the roads I've mapped (with Kev365428's help) yet.
Anyone have any experience with the Campbelltown to Glenfield section of this route?
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/MT-Annan-to-Rhodes
2010 BMC SLC01

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:45 am

here's the fernleigh track from adamstown to jewells/belmont nth...the last section show's dotted line to belmont sth near belmont tech colledge,that's where it will finish in new year!
http://www.whereis.com/nsw/belmont/trac ... B46457F6B4

For new group rides check my signature,it's new and where organising local rides,come join!

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Hey Hannos, I haven't visited this thread in quite a while, otherwise I would have commented on your route above a bit earlier.

My suggestions as follows -

After passing through Ingleburn and approaching Macquarrie Fields on Harold St, I'd swing left down Saywell and then right onto Atchinson Rd and ride past Glenfield Station. It's a flatter ride and a lot less bogans to deal with. Join back up with Cambridge Av to cross the Georges River.

Travelling along the M5, watch out for debris in the breakdown lane. Check the Black Cat thread if you don't believe me.

Belmore Rd is cool, and the back streets you've selected to get through Punchbowl and Greenacre look ok to me. Not to keen on Roberts Rd/Centenary Drive as traffic is usually pretty heavy along there.

The rest looks ok and should make for an interesting ride, although you've probably done it by now.

Cheers,

Kev.

flip

Postby flip » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:34 am

Hey all,

I've been inspired by the thousands of cyclists who make their way down West St through Crows Nest (Sydney) to ditch my car, get a road bike and cycle to work.

Only problem is, I live in North Parramatta and Work in Crows Nest and I wouldn't have a clue what the best route would be to help me get to work quickly and safely.

If you could help me out with a route and approximate travel time, that would be awesome.

I plan to try out some different routes over my christmas break.

Thanks.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:33 pm

flip wrote:Hey all,

I've been inspired by the thousands of cyclists who make their way down West St through Crows Nest (Sydney) to ditch my car, get a road bike and cycle to work.

Only problem is, I live in North Parramatta and Work in Crows Nest and I wouldn't have a clue what the best route would be to help me get to work quickly and safely.

If you could help me out with a route and approximate travel time, that would be awesome.

Thanks.
I live in Castle Hill and commute to St Leonards daily which doesn't help, but below are a couple of rides I've done that might help. I find Bikely can be painful to search in (guessing the best words to use, etc).

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58122449 - this one was a city loop through SOP and Parramatta. You could probably ride the route I took as I passes near North Parra and Crows Nest but Sydney CBD on a weekday if you can avoid it is probably the best idea.

You could cobble together the above ride with elements of this one to head north from Putney to the Epping Road cycleway and head towards Crows Nest for there - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11273006

For reference here is a standard commute to work that includes the M2 for a short time longer until the construction starts - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/59718567
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 pm

flip wrote:Hey all,

Thanks.
Flip,

I don't know how far north in Parra you live, but I used to live in Sth Parramatta and used the M4 cycleway to good effect for my commute into Balmain.. then lived on the north side for a short time whilst moving houses and had developed a solid route into Five Dock then Balmain from either north or south side.

There aren't many good routes on the north side of the river that aren't full of hills.. so an alternative is into the city and across the bridge. It may seem like a lot of extra distance, but its mostly flat. (I live in Westleigh now and still ride into Balmain via Epping/Ryde, so I've learnt all about hills)

If you're on the north side, get down to Thomas St, then try http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/No ... to-Rozelle
I'm sure others here can lend a route from there through the city to North Sydney.

(edited). Travel time for me to balmain was about 40min.. I'd add another 20min to North Sydney/Crows Nest.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:23 pm

Can anyone thinknof a way to improve this
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Br ... -Valley-v2

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed May 04, 2011 10:48 pm

My commute is short and reasonably quiet, Dundas to Parramatta in Sydney.

Park Rd to Calder Rd, Make sure you REALLY careful at the corner near Bennetts Rd West, tons of idiots have overinflated senses of entitlement there.
Calder, then Dudley, straight to the end, and you'll see some bollards past the vacant block on your left. Go through, follow the path over the bridge behind UWS and under the bridge below James Ruse Drive. If you ride fast, turn left onto Thomas St and go hell for leather. Straight to the end, turn left and you are in Parramatta next to the river. I take the right and go underneath Philip St on the "do not cycle on the bridge" bridge, you miss the lights for Smith and Philip. Big time saving. You can go over the shared path oar bridge but it never occurred to the council that pedestrians aren't very good at sharing, and the hill on the northern end is just after a tight right hand turn and it's just too hard IMO when you've got the naughty bridge. So... Turn left after the naughty bridge, and you'll pass the Brandsmart car park. Left, up a small hill and right/left onto Smith St (I think?). Either way, not too many corners, very little traffic and if they ever seriously develop Parramatta will probably be dodgy, only safe because it's a ghost town. I can do this route in under 15 minutes. Faster than driving it by car in peak hour (plus a park at the end).

The slow way is going along the bridge along James Ruse Drive, first right through the industrial area, then straight along until you go down the one way street and then onto the shared path. Be careful because you can't actually ride at 30-40 clicks next to the river, the corners are blind and the pedestrians manage to hog the path extremely well considering its 3 times as wide as a normal footpath. :roll: Either way, you end up going under the oar bridge

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:14 pm

i commute from brunswick to Melbourne CBD. on the way to work, i use the Capital City Trail to footscray road and then up LaTrobe St. on the way home, i try to take the Main Yarra Trail eastwards out of the city, along Richmond then Kew Boulevards, then across the bridge over the river to the Merri Creek Trail, then back onto the Capital City Trail to Brunswick.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed May 11, 2011 12:30 pm

My commute takes me fron Oakleigh to the CBD, I avoid using Dandenong road and take the side roads. I think it adds a wee bit to my commute (23k e/w) and it doesn't take too much off my average except for the last few k's. I've tried a few different routes to increase my K's but unless I go a fair bit out of the way there's not much in the difference.

Happy Days

Sydguy

Re: Goneriding commute route

Postby Sydguy » Wed May 18, 2011 7:35 pm

goneriding wrote:This is how I get to work. Note the diversion to Haberfield. That's where my favourite Bakery is

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Home-to-work190995
Any reason you head down Victoria Road? I ride a bit of your commute from Rhodes to City but hoon down Lilyfield road, thinking of maybe mixing the route up though it gets a little tedious 4 days a week!

On Monday there were bricks on the road at the roundabout where Lyons Rd West and Bayview Rd meet. A cyclist hit the bricks and destroyed his front wheel. As you probably know the roundabout has a section beside it kerbed off for bikes to basically bypass the roundabout, and thats where the cheeky bricks were. I stopped but the guy was ok and had a mate inbound to pick him up... Wondering of they were put there on purpose or just left there for an innocent reason!

Cheers

find_bruce

Re: Goneriding commute route

Postby find_bruce » Sat May 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Sydguy wrote:
goneriding wrote:This is how I get to work. Note the diversion to Haberfield. That's where my favourite Bakery is

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Home-to-work190995
Any reason you head down Victoria Road?
I avoid Lilyfield Road partly because I am old fat & slow & don't like climbing the hill and partly because I came too close to too many idiot drivers.

Goneriding might use the path around Iron Cove Bay because he wants to add a few easy k's to his commute or maybe he enjoys the yummy mummies pushing prams around the path :)

I'm not keen on fighting with "shared use" footpaths along Victoria Road so use a slightly different route
Abbotsford to Sydney

Now if only I could find a better way than fighting with traffic up King St.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:06 am

New commute path! Zing!

Seven Hills to Parramatta. Cross into Toongabbie at Oklahoma Crescent, up to Gilba, right down Dunmore, then up to Alexander St next to the railway. The bus lane makes it a bit safer, because the impatient buggers can go around me on the climbs (I'm too sick and sorry for myself to HFTU). Bam you're in Parramatta!

I found this route to be pretty agreeable, lots of long straight bits and not too hard to squeeze through at the lights. I think I might need to save that trick for late days though because I'm not sure it was speeding me up much.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Same destination, Seven Hills to Parramatta. Decided to take the "full bike path" experience all the way home tonight. With my 900 lumen light I managed to navigate my way home despite only ever seeing 50% of the path ever before. Ironically, the bike path signs they put up to make life easier are MUCH easier to see at night with a good light reflecting of them!!!

Anyways, go through Parramatta Park, through the car entrace about 100m around the corner from the downhill next to the train line, then climb up to the road next to the hospital, take a left then at the lights go down the bike path next to the Tway (you cross the road at the intersection on your left after your climb). It's pretty easy to work out. Straight down and then ride next to the Tway. Take a right at the end after crossing the road, then a left with the Tway (get the picture?). Follow the Tway until it says "don't go this way, seriously". Go across the road at the Cumberland Highway, then jump back onto the bike path. There is good signposting that will take you through Doig St in Constitution Hill, back up to the Tway (some short but brutal climbing there), follow the Tway! I missed the end of the bike path through Toongabbie, but picked it up off Fitzwilliam, crossed over the bridge at the train station (WT?~!) and took the path next to Greystanes Creek. Very nice ride through there, I'd be worried during the day that you'd get a few wakeup calls from kids (two schools nearby) but I'm looking forward to taking this one a few more times when I'm not pressed for time. MUCH less climbing, but I'm only starting to get used to the suicidal efforts required for my route above, which is basically downhill for a few hundred metres, without pedalling, and then an insane climb before you've even had a chance to warm up your legs (LOL). I'll report back when I've cleaned this one up a bit.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:08 pm

I've cleaned up the route. After you reach Fitzwilliam after the Tway, follow it towards Toongabbie, then cross the road soon after passing the lights and speed camera. You'l pick up the service road after heading down the wrong side of the road for 2-300m, just be very careful. I feel this is a bit less dangerous when you're bikepath braindead than trying to turn right at the lights (a few too many silly drivers think the bike isn't a vehicle down this road :roll: ). Anyways, follow the service road right to the end, then follow the road until you've hit the little turning bay past the roundabout. Cross the road and follow the path under the railway, then across the road and follow it south as far as you need. I wouldn't like to try and ride this particular path under the bridge too fast, it's TIGHT. Lots of bell, and use your lights. But a nifty little bike path. I really like it to relax after the Hellride in the morning down Gilba, Dunmore and Alexander in Girra, Wenty and Westmead respectively.

csy75

Postby csy75 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:34 pm

My Sydney Commute from the northern beaches to CBD....

Here's my to work
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ba ... Sydney-CBD

and home slightly different

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Sy ... -Balgowlah

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi All

Can anybody recommend a route for the afternoon commute from Dee Why to Middle Cove?

Or better yet, if anybody will be riding this route next Wednesday, I'd be grateful for the two wheeled company.

Thanks

James

ave a go

Postby ave a go » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:16 am

Hey Xplora,

My route sounds very simalar to yours - I go from Balcktown to Parramatta, can't seem to get onto Bikely.com at the moment but will post a link to my route once I can.

Cheers,
Matt
Riding: 2009 Giant CRX Four

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:19 pm

This is my standard home commute, the morning commute is via the more direct route of Northern Road, South Pine Road, Old North Road, Youngs Crossing Road, Beeville Road, across to McPhail Road.

http://www.brytonsport.com/mapTrackView/3?id=139747

I tried both bikely & mapmyride & couldn't get either to freaking work.