Commute Routes

jools

Re: Commute Routes

Postby jools » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:03 am

Does anyone travel along Botany Rd Mascot? Our office could be relocating to Lord St in Botany which means I'd have to head from Coward St to Lord St along Botany Rd in the morning and then in the reverse in the afternoon. At the moment I do the length of Coward St and then head up into Rosebery, which is a fairly bike-friendly route, but Botany Rd looks to be fairly busy and with no bike lane.

Thanks!

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:39 am

Hi,

A Melbourne commuting question for my son.
He has just moved from Carlton to Kensington, and needs to commute to the RMIT design building (corner of Swanston and Victoria)
Google maps suggests a couple of different routes, but given that he will be doing it in the evening/nights fairly often, I wasn't sure what would be the best one
(and I dont know the area at all)

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:23 am

Anyone ride from Ellenbrook/Swan Valley? Google maps tells me to get to Airport via Guildford/GEH. Is there a better way?

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:54 am

Question for our Sydney regulars. Looking for route suggestions between Hornsby and Epping (near the station).

David

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:05 pm

rdp_au wrote:Question for our Sydney regulars. Looking for route suggestions between Hornsby and Epping (near the station).

David
Pretty much intersects my commute at right-angles but I'm in the Hills and familiar with the area (albeit cycling-wise early on weekends). How much do you want to mix up with traffic or climb?
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:28 pm

I'm contemplating it as an alternate commuting route, so it will be at heavy traffic times. Reason is that I'm not a fan of the normal Kissing Point Road route during the coming winter hours of darkness. Plus, a change might be nice :-)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:43 pm

rdp_au wrote:I'm contemplating it as an alternate commuting route, so it will be at heavy traffic times. Reason is that I'm not a fan of the normal Kissing Point Road route during the coming winter hours of darkness. Plus, a change might be nice :-)
That would have been my first suggestion, but no good in periods of heavy rain (similar to the Sutherland Rd solution below but there's always Beecroft Rd - watch out for the expansion joints on the M2 overbridge in the wet though). Pennant Hills Rd = bad. I've used backstreets (College Cres, Malsbury Rd, Milson Pde, Sefton Rd, Chilvers Rd, The Espalanade, Yarrara Rd) that follow the train line but very hilly in a rollercoaster kind of way to get to Pennant Hills Station. Looks like there's a path that connects the footbridge at Pennant Hills with Sutherland Rd according to Google Maps, so that's pretty much all the way to Epping if you use the tunnel under the M2.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:14 pm

rdp_au wrote:I'm contemplating it as an alternate commuting route, so it will be at heavy traffic times. Reason is that I'm not a fan of the normal Kissing Point Road route during the coming winter hours of darkness. Plus, a change might be nice :-)
Depends exactly how much of a longer route you want :-)
As Boognoss has said, you can take the roads along the railway, past normanhurst, either coming down Unwin Rd past St Leo's, College Cr past Barker, or the really convoluted way behind the RSL and around through to near Normanhurst station.
if you really want some variety, dive down into the valley on Norman Ave, come up through the far end of Sefton Rd, over to Duffy Ave, down Quarter Sessions, then cut through on The path to Bellamy St up to Boundary Rd. You can then either ride the short bit to PHR and make the right turn onto PHR then left onto Beecroft Rd, which is great fun as it's all downhill.
If you are not game, and it isn't raining, use Sutherland Rd from Beecroft station. If it is raining hard, or has been raining, go down Cheltenham Rd to the M2 Overpass and come down Kandy Ave.
Go do some reccy rides on the weekend :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:06 am

This just in from the Bike North mailing list. Interesting and eventually could solve your problem if it happens rdp_au.
BikeNorth wrote:
Hi All

Good news! According to Andrew Wilson, president of the Pennant Hills Civic Trust (who is driving this), the politicians are VERY keen to build a cycleway. Damien Tudehope even wants submissions for a cycleway all the from Epping to Pennant Hills. Route to be determined.

Andrew is having a meeting at his house on 7th March at 8 pm for those interested in being involved in the process. He has sent me briefing notes between Hornsby Shire Council and Matt Kean as well as plans for a Wongola Crescent cycle bridge.

It seems as if there is political will at the moment. Maybe we should seize the opportunity.

Please let me know if you want Andrew's address or if you want me to forward his email. Is it OK if I cc him into these conversations?

Kind Regards

Barbara

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:18 pm

Boognoss wrote:
That would have been my first suggestion, but no good in periods of heavy rain (similar to the Sutherland Rd solution below but there's always Beecroft Rd - watch out for the expansion joints on the M2 overbridge in the wet though). Pennant Hills Rd = bad. I've used backstreets (College Cres, Malsbury Rd, Milson Pde, Sefton Rd, Chilvers Rd, The Espalanade, Yarrara Rd) that follow the train line but very hilly in a rollercoaster kind of way to get to Pennant Hills Station. Looks like there's a path that connects the footbridge at Pennant Hills with Sutherland Rd according to Google Maps, so that's pretty much all the way to Epping if you use the tunnel under the M2.
yeh / no. at Pennant Hills - see below.

From Hornsby -- I'd suggesting the following 'quiet' route. Vary to busier roads as you wish.

Get to Unwin at Waitara. Down Denman Parade, Huddart Ave - then through park (not great), or Northern footpath on PH road to shared path starting at Dartford.

Follow that through to Duffy Ave, then take Duffy / The Esplanande/Yarrara through to PH Rd.

** Here's the PH Rd bit:
Cross at PH road - either the footbridge (which is awkward to get on to), or the ped lights, down Hampden, Ligouri, Azalea down to the bottom of Clement Cl. Then stairs up to Tristiana. Now you're on Sutherland Rd, follow it through under the M2 or exit somewhere onto Beecroft Rd when raining (watch the expansion strips over the M2!)

Alternatives at the PH rd crossing:
* path parallel to the Railway to Azalea -- about 5 flights of 6 steps each spaced along it. Maybe ok if you like jumping steps in a MTB ?
* 'Path' from Azalea to Sutherland -- is narrow singletrack through the bush. I sometimes ride it on my roady when I feel like a change of pace.

Other options south of PH rd (back street wet option when M2 underpass flooded).
* cross Beecroft Rd at Kirkham (you can ride through the Village Green from the railway crossing behind the community centre), then Boronia and Oaklands to Castle Howard
OR
* cross Beecroft Rd at Cheltenham (traffic lights). then down to the end of Cheltenham, a few steps to Castle Howard
.. and over the footbridge to Kent St and you're in the other side of Epping.
If you want to cross to the Eastern side of Beecroft Rd from there, do it at the end of Kandy / lights at the M2 exit and under the railway via the old bus tunnel, or go to Bridge St and use the Epping Rd shared path to Blaxland Rd.

If you're fairly confident, Beecroft Rd is fine in the downhill direction -- but debatable if faster at peak hours unless you lane split.

OH - and if you have a MTB and want variety, drop down into LCNP at the back of Pennant Hills Park and ride through to Devlins Creek and the M2 underpass.

bane

Postby bane » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:34 am

This is my commute. It's a tough one!

http://www.strava.com/activities/485237208

hannos

Re: Commute Sutherland to Centrepoint tower

Postby hannos » Fri May 06, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi All,

Got a new job so am considering riding into the city (What am I thinkin?!?!) so need a route from Sutherland to 100 Market St (Westfields).
Have yet to see what sort of end of trip facilities they have here. I can pretty much get myself the shared path along the airport but have no knowledge of the new bike paths City of Sydney have built.

Open to any route suggestions.
2010 BMC SLC01

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 06, 2016 3:51 pm

This is the way I ride into the city when I take an extended commute via Cooks River.

Couple of points to note
  • The lights at the car park on Airport drive are a police enforced disgrace
  • Be careful along the Bourke Rd bike path - drivers cross it without looking & I often come across drivers who think it is a good place to park.
  • The reason I turn left at Wyndham St & then right onto McEvoy St & left at George is that the bicycle lights at George St to cross McEvoy St don't detect bicycles
  • There is a bit of a kerfuffle about the path between Raglan & Phillip St. An alternative is to turn right at Raglan St, left on Union St through to Chalmers St & follow that down to Elizabeth St
  • Elizabeth St is better than you might suspect - at commuting times it is heavy traffic, but vehicles are moving slowly & if this fat slow old bloke can keep up, you should be fine.
  • Don't be tempted by the short stretch of bike path on Castlereagh St - it only takes you as far as Liverpool St when your only option is to turn left

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri May 06, 2016 4:02 pm

Looks good. Now to figure out if I can shower at work!
2010 BMC SLC01

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri May 06, 2016 4:38 pm

Well, spoke to facilities and there is no secure parking for bicycles. So I won't be riding to work any time in the foreseeable future :(
2010 BMC SLC01

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 06, 2016 7:31 pm

hannos wrote:Well, spoke to facilities and there is no secure parking for bicycles. So I won't be riding to work any time in the foreseeable future :(
Don't you hate that. You could try the free secure parking at Goulburn St car park

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Well, saw a guy here walk out with a bike helmet...
Seems there are cages here and one even has a camera in it!
Now to get access and a lock for my bike! :)
2010 BMC SLC01

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Woo hoo

wycle

Postby wycle » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:49 am

Hi

I am looking to bicycle commute to Sydney CBD (Town Hall) from the Bankstown area.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be the best route? I am looking for areas of low traffic if possible.

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:08 pm

Sydney commuting.

So my work is moving into the city. Commuting from Pennant Hills area. I am fine all the way to Cammeray/Willoughby Rd. At that point I have a choice:
1. Exit the expressway near Merremburn or Willoughby Rd and go back streets of Crows Nest and Nth Sydney to sort of Miller St and onto the bridge. If I choose this option I am interested in alternatives as well.
2. Stay on the Warringah Expressway and do the Alfred St dropoff.

I used to do this ride say 10 years ago, and would always pick 2 heading south as it's faster. It was an interesting ride in those days, the Epping Rd path didn't exist.

Anyway, noting that they have introduced bus layovers and other infrastructure/obstacles heading south beyond Willoughby Rd, is it practical and legal to ride on the Warringah Expressway shoulder from Merremburn to Alfred St?

tgdavies

Postby tgdavies » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:49 pm

Rogan, it might be worth looking at the routes the Easy Riders use: http://www.sydney-easy-riders.com.au/pa ... &pageid=25

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:45 pm

wycle wrote:Hi

I am looking to bicycle commute to Sydney CBD (Town Hall) from the Bankstown area.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be the best route? I am looking for areas of low traffic if possible.
From Bankstown I expect the best route would be finding your way across to the Cooks River path, to the airport & up the Bourke Rd path to the CBD.

An alternative would be heading south to the M5 & along the paths till the end & then acroos to the end of the Cooks river path. That will be affected by the M5 Beverly Hill and Kingsgrove changes

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:36 pm

rogan wrote:Sydney commuting.

Anyway, noting that they have introduced bus layovers and other infrastructure/obstacles heading south beyond Willoughby Rd, is it practical and legal to ride on the Warringah Expressway shoulder from Merremburn to Alfred St?
According to the RMS cycleway finder it is legal to ride on the shoulder from where the path crosses the Brook St on ramp. On the few occasions I have ridden that way, I have ridden up Amherst St & rejoined at the Miller St on ramp, partly because I am slow uphill but mainly to avoid vehicles merging from my left & continuing all the way in to Alfred St before crossing under the bridge at Millers Point Station & trudging up the stairs.

I laughed when I saw the RMS describe this as a "high speed road" - at commuting times, the motor vehicles are even slower than this fat old bloke.

nealjp

Postby nealjp » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi,
I'm sussing out a route from home near St Leonards train station to Liverpool.
It would be great if someone has some suggestions to improve it or some warnings about various choices.
I'd actually prefer roads over cycleways if the journey would be quicker.

So,
  1. [1] N on Herbert St to the M1 cycleway
  • [2] SW to Blenheim, Badajoz, Pidding, and Charles to Kissing Point Park.
  • [3] W towards Parramatta.
  • [4] S on Macarthur/Harris
  • [5] W on Marion.
  • [6] S on Wigram
  • [7] W on cycle path to Woodville
  • [8] W on Randle and S on Railway Terrace/Military Rd.
  • [9] SW on Dale, Fairlight, Lyndon, East Parade, First Ave, Broomfield.
  • [10] Through Stroud Park to Station St, Hart St, Lachlan St, Goulbourn St, Elizabeth, Biggie.
Here is a map, but it's not exact as parts of the trip were unroutable:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16530080

Cheers,
nealjp

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:34 pm

From the Epping Rd bike path I usually continue along a bit further west to Shrimpton's Creek, via Anzac Ave & Rhodes St to Parramatta River.

I have ridden the Woodville Rd a few times - at times it can be a be a bit of a zoo. An alternative is west via Holyroyd Gardens - the only downside to which is it puts you on the wrong side of the tracks until you cross at the old wooden bridge.

I don't know the Liverpool end, but it otherwise looks about right to me