Commute Routes

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Commute Routes

Postby Boognoss » Tue May 07, 2013 6:39 am

dajackal wrote:
duncanm wrote:Just on that last bit... the path really is 'off road'. Its a bunch of steep wood/dirt steps down through a weed-infested gully and back up again.
Ok if you don't mind a bit of bike portage I guess, though it'd be a mess in the rain. Then there's a steep short climb back up Wongala.

You don't seem averse to riding the footpath where it makes sense -- I take the eastern footpath on Beecroft and PH's road when ascending between Albert and Trebor Rd (which is where your business park is).

Alternative 2 is cross to the Eastern side of the railway at Chapman, then do Sutherland, steps to Clemente Cl, Azalea, Hampden, which brings you out at the Railway crossing at Pennant Hills.
I'm already commuting through that gully. I just go through the rocky trail that follows the train tracks to avoid the descent/ascent.

I currently cycle on sections of footpath on Beecroft Rd when coming up from my current residence in Epping. So I'm prepared to ride on footpath to stay alive :) Not fit enough to keep up with traffic just yet.
Boognoss wrote: If you want to avoid riding the M2 illegally there's Renown Rd with the massive Big Dipper or ride to Castle Hill and go Crane Rd, Highs Rd, Taylor St, Aiken Rd. there's a footpath between Castlewood Drive and Highs Rd. IMO much better than Renown Rd but plenty of hills of course. No avoiding them anywhere in the Hills.
Thanks that sounds like a good alternative to the M2 route - I was actually worried I wouldn't be confident enough to ride on a motorway.

How do I cross from Castlewood to Highs? Is it through Castlewood Reserve like in the map here?
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/boognoss-suggested" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep 100% correct. The map you linked to shows the footpaths in the reserve to follow. It'll be obvious when you're there. Be careful of the wooden bridge if it's damp or wet as you pick up speed downhill eastbound and then the bridge and a slight right-handler is at the bottom.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue May 07, 2013 7:06 pm

dajackal wrote:
duncanm wrote: I'll have to check it out tonight -- do you enter off this footbridge over the culvert?

Google Street View, Wongala Crescent
yes go over the footbridge and just follow the fence; the trail is a little narrow and very rocky, but i still manage to ride through it on my hybrid :)
mmmm path was ok on my 25's.. but HOLY CRAPOLY I forgot how steep that second pinch up Boundary from Wongala is!

I think I'll stick to the Beecroft Rd footpath.

moya

Postby moya » Fri May 10, 2013 2:28 pm

I need to ride from Parramatta Park to Bella Vista this weekend. Using Google Maps I can see the route from the Park to Old Windsor Rd at Ferndale Cl, but could someone advise the quality of the direct route through to Bella Vista?

I originally thought that there was a path the entire length of the T-way, but now I'm not so sure. What's the closest I'll come to traffic? Do I need to cross busy intersections like Abbott Rd and Seven Hills Rd?

SentryBox

Postby SentryBox » Sat May 18, 2013 7:08 pm

I have just moved to Pymble and am trying to work out the safest route to get onto the cycleway that runs adjacent to Epping Rd for my daily commute. From Lane Cove Road West Pymble, does anyone know if there is a route that goes through Lane Cove NP that will get me out to the Epping Rd cycleway at some juncture?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sat May 18, 2013 8:34 pm

SentryBox wrote:I have just moved to Pymble and am trying to work out the safest route to get onto the cycleway that runs adjacent to Epping Rd for my daily commute. From Lane Cove Road West Pymble, does anyone know if there is a route that goes through Lane Cove NP that will get me out to the Epping Rd cycleway at some juncture?
If your coming down Ryde/Lane Cove Rd or Brown's Waterhole off the end of Kissing Pt Rd, I think your options are pretty much the same.

Head for Waterloo Rd and the start of the Shrimpton's creek path (opposite entrance to Macquarie Centre)

Lane Cove Rd path on Western side, then Fontenoy, Khartoum and Waterloo. Take the pleasant path through to Kent Rd, then follow the M2 detour which gets you out around Ryrie St onto the Epping Rd path.

http://opencyclemap.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will show you the way.

If you don't mind a bit of traffic, East on Waterloo all the way to Wicks Rd would be faster.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun May 19, 2013 12:47 am

SentryBox wrote:I have just moved to Pymble and am trying to work out the safest route to get onto the cycleway that runs adjacent to Epping Rd for my daily commute. From Lane Cove Road West Pymble, does anyone know if there is a route that goes through Lane Cove NP that will get me out to the Epping Rd cycleway at some juncture?
I am not sure exactly where you are starting from, but if come down Ryde Rd from West Pymble, and get into the Western Side after you pass Yanko Rd, cross over the De Burgs Bridge and make a right turn onto the Shared Path. This loops back under the bridge and enters Lane Cove NP.
Ride along Riverside Dr until you get to the turnoff for the Caravan Park (Scribbly Gums I think), and head up through the Gates to the end of Plassey Rd (the top gate is permanently locked, but has a path around the gate for bikes/pedestrians). Take Plassey Rd to the end, turn right onto Delhi Rd and you will find a bicycle lane. Ride up to the Delhi Rd/Epping Rd intersection and cross over to the Epping Rd Cycleway.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon May 20, 2013 4:13 pm

that's much better than my suggestion..

teeby

Postby teeby » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Looking for the best route from Mitcham to CBD and reverse.. Once I build up a few long rides, hoping to make at least one direction the daily commute.. I figure if I can jump on the train with my bike and arrive at work before 7 (free train) then cycle home in the evenings :) = $$$ savings.

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:28 am

teeby wrote:Looking for the best route from Mitcham to CBD and reverse.. Once I build up a few long rides, hoping to make at least one direction the daily commute.. I figure if I can jump on the train with my bike and arrive at work before 7 (free train) then cycle home in the evenings :) = $$$ savings.
Head down Mitcham Rd and jump on the Koonung Trail (just over the Eastlink overpass). This hooks up with the Main Yarra Trail which you can take into town via Dights Falls. That might not be the quickest, but it's the best I can think of at the moment - but I only go as far as Abbotsford (near Dights Falls)

teeby

Postby teeby » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:15 am

thanks Michael_w!

Is the koonung trail suitable for thin tyred roadbikes? :lol:

Edit:
Just google mapped that route from home to work .. Hmm bumps the ride up to just over 30kms. (I work in Collins St). Once exiting the koonung trail, what is the best way to get down to say King + Collins St. ?

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:35 pm

teeby wrote:thanks Michael_w!

Is the koonung trail suitable for thin tyred roadbikes? :lol:

Edit:
Just google mapped that route from home to work .. Hmm bumps the ride up to just over 30kms. (I work in Collins St). Once exiting the koonung trail, what is the best way to get down to say King + Collins St. ?
The Koonung Creek Trail's completely sealed, i.e. is black bitumen or white concrete sections all through. It's mostly bump-free. I use it daily when riding home. As far as getting to King/Collins, try this:
  1. After riding through the long freeway tunnel on the Koonung Creek Trail just east of Burke Rd, continue on the same path, which becomes the Main Yarra Trail as you pass a trail intersection with a right turn that goes over a bridge. Don't go over the bridge, but instead keep riding forward.
  2. Continue along the trail as it rises up to Belford Rd, then cross this road and keep going.
  3. Continue along the trail until it stops at a stairway, then wheel your bike up the stairway. This saves you trying to cross Chandler Hwy, which can get pretty busy during morning/afternoon peaks.
  4. At the top of the stairs is Yarra Blvd, which you can ride along until you get to a point on the road where a trail meets the right-hand side of the road; this trail takes you over the Gipps St bridge.
  5. Ride over the bridge, and continue along Gipps St until it ends at Wellington St, where you turn left.
  6. Continue along Wellington St until it ends at Victoria St, where you turn right.
  7. After a short distance, turn left onto Clarendon St, and ride this down to Flinders St. Here you can either turn right, or just continue south until you get to the MCG, and follow the Northbank shared path to get to the west side of the CBD.
If any of the above is unclear, just plot it on Google Maps :) .

teeby

Postby teeby » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:10 am

AWESOME! Thanks VRE :)

Any tips for the reverse? Have heard Maroondah Hwy is a good option in the evening..

teeby

Postby teeby » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:49 am

Ok so tried comng home from Collins Street twice in the last week.. one way was the koonung trail ~ 32km's. Nice track. Road bike didnt enjoy the bumpy bridges at the start haha.
Other time I tried victoria street -> barkers rd -> mont albert rd -> maroondah hwy .. was about 24km's to get home. I enjoyed this option better.

SentryBox

Postby SentryBox » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:47 pm

queequeg wrote:
I am not sure exactly where you are starting from, but if come down Ryde Rd from West Pymble, and get into the Western Side after you pass Yanko Rd, cross over the De Burgs Bridge and make a right turn onto the Shared Path. This loops back under the bridge and enters Lane Cove NP.
Ride along Riverside Dr until you get to the turnoff for the Caravan Park (Scribbly Gums I think), and head up through the Gates to the end of Plassey Rd (the top gate is permanently locked, but has a path around the gate for bikes/pedestrians). Take Plassey Rd to the end, turn right onto Delhi Rd and you will find a bicycle lane. Ride up to the Delhi Rd/Epping Rd intersection and cross over to the Epping Rd Cycleway.
Finally got myself sorted to start commuting to the city - gave this a try today and it's awesome! Thanks very much for the advice.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:01 pm

SentryBox wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Finally got myself sorted to start commuting to the city - gave this a try today and it's awesome! Thanks very much for the advice.
Glad it all worked out! Riverside Dr is a nice commute route. I sometimes do a few laps coming home, more of an option now that M2 Westbound is open again.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:28 pm

teeby wrote:Ok so tried comng home from Collins Street twice in the last week.. one way was the koonung trail ~ 32km's. Nice track. Road bike didnt enjoy the bumpy bridges at the start haha.
Other time I tried victoria street -> barkers rd -> mont albert rd -> maroondah hwy .. was about 24km's to get home. I enjoyed this option better.
Because I don't go as close to the city as yourself, I have no need to go near Barkers Rd. I do however use Mont Albert Rd depending on my route and destination. Inbound and outbound I have always found it to be good. The usable cycle lane seems to manage the traffic well and the surface is pretty good too. Maroondah Hwy is ok in small doses from my experiences so far.

Sounds like you've found a winner :wink:

SentryBox

Postby SentryBox » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:59 am

queequeg wrote:
Finally got myself sorted to start commuting to the city - gave this a try today and it's awesome! Thanks very much for the advice.[/quote]

Glad it all worked out! Riverside Dr is a nice commute route. I sometimes do a few laps coming home, more of an option now that M2 Westbound is open again.[/quote]

Riverside Drive is awesome! ...I have been past there so many times and never been down it, always worth trying something new it would seem;)

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Does anyone have a suggested route for Heidelberg to Melbourne CBD? Specifically corner of Rosanna Road and Burgundy St to Elizabeth and Collins in the city.

I am tossing up between the Main Yarra Trail through to Abbotsford versus Heidelberg Rd through to Clifton Hill, then cutting across Collingwood somewhere.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:58 am

nezumi wrote:Does anyone have a suggested route for Heidelberg to Melbourne CBD? Specifically corner of Rosanna Road and Burgundy St to Elizabeth and Collins in the city.

I am tossing up between the Main Yarra Trail through to Abbotsford versus Heidelberg Rd through to Clifton Hill, then cutting across Collingwood somewhere.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
if it were me i'd go heidelberg rd all the way to Alexander Pde, then left down brunswick st /wellington / nicholson / rathdown

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:51 am

I do Heidelberg Road usually - it's the most direct way but of course it gets hairy.

You might add some kms to the north via the Railway line to High Street or to the south by the Main Yarra Trail.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:08 pm

clackers wrote:I do Heidelberg Road usually - it's the most direct way but of course it gets hairy.

You might add some kms to the north via the Railway line to High Street or to the south by the Main Yarra Trail.
backofthebunch wrote:if it were me i'd go heidelberg rd all the way to Alexander Pde, then left down brunswick st /wellington / nicholson / rathdown
Only downside of Heidelberg Rd route is that it starts with a lot more hills than the Yarra trail.

I might have to build up the fitness levels for that mental challenge. Otherwise I think it should be OK.
Last edited by nezumi on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Well, one very big hill city-bound (up past the Austin), versus a fairly big one through Eaglemont down to the river. We don't live in a flat part of Melbourne!

Paul 1965

Postby Paul 1965 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:31 pm

clackers wrote:Well, one very big hill city-bound (up past the Austin), versus a fairly big one through Eaglemont down to the river. We don't live in a flat part of Melbourne!
Thats nothing try O,Hea St in Pascoe Vale, now that's a hill :lol:

Mattreush

Postby Mattreush » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi all,
Starting a new job in Eagle Farm next week and was wondering if anyone might have a route that I can follow from Holland Park to Eagle Farm? Is the link below likely to get me into any trouble? Planning on riding my road bike.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=H ... 3&lci=bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,
Matt

Whiteleyopolous

Postby Whiteleyopolous » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi All, new to this but was looking at finding the best/quickest route from Altona Nth (millers rd) to Melbourne Showgrounds. This is for a daily commute to and from work. Anyone know or can point me in the right direction? Cheers :D