Commute Routes

Myddraal

Re: Commute Routes

Postby Myddraal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:10 pm

Just on the off chance I just checked bikely and it seems to be finally back up! Now's the perfect time to download any routes you have on there in case it goes down again. Personally I use bikemap.net now.

BigBadWOLF

Postby BigBadWOLF » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:21 am

ithinkimlost wrote:Rockdale to Martin Place regular
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ro ... ace-Sydney

Do you use the bike path along airport drive? I rode through there today thinking it may be a better route to work, but I wonder what it will be like on the way home in winter. Is there any lighting along the path?

Thanks

My commute is Wolli Creek to Phillip & Bent St.. along the Bourke St Cycle way to Taylors Sq and then down oxford.
As for Qantas drive in winter its a blind you need to have a good set of headlights and take it slow under the train bridge,
nastry climb from Bourke st bakery to Taylors sqaure
Kris..
Trek 7.3 - Daily Commute (Wolli Creek - City)

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:43 pm

As of tomorrow I plan to use a slightly harder home route.

http://www.brytonsport.com/mapTrackView/3?id=167924

This adds an extra 12kms to the old route. Not sure if I can manage it every day.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:02 pm

This is my typical commute currently http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/my-commute-78
Hard work come summer thanks to easterly winds in the morning and a SW in the afternoon. Headwinds 95% of the way.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:37 am

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:31 am

This is my route from Lugarno to Pyrmont, which takes roughly 1h20m.

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/61200674

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:43 pm

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/by/Xplora Hurrah I've mapped it!!!!! CHeck it out. Soft return path to follow.

csy75

Postby csy75 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:53 pm

Am curious as to how many folks have a straight run commute.. what I mean is the first half of mine is a case of zigging and zagging through the burbs before I get to a long stretch without any sharp corners or lights... I'd say roughly 13-15k of my 26k commute into work is zigging and zagging through the burbs, lights, sharp corners, train crossing etc.... Am asking as my average takes a hit because of it..

What's yours like...
Happy Days

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Livetoride wrote:What's yours like...
My Joondalup - Fremantle commute is pretty straight forward. A little bit of mucking around through Fremantle but even that is not complicated. Once out of Freo I just head straight along the coast and then turn east/south at Hodges Drive to work.

However, heading south, the wind is the issue .... we are talking serious headwinds straight off the water. No protection.

Andrew
Andrew

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:04 pm

Livetoride wrote:Am curious as to how many folks have a straight run commute.. what I mean is the first half of mine is a case of zigging and zagging through the burbs before I get to a long stretch without any sharp corners or lights... I'd say roughly 13-15k of my 26k commute into work is zigging and zagging through the burbs, lights, sharp corners, train crossing etc.... Am asking as my average takes a hit because of it..

What's yours like...

Here you go LTR, mine is a relative direct route, it's just my sense of direction sucks.

http://runkeeper.com/user/Wal042/activity/69904742

Ned28

Postby Ned28 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi, wondering if anyone knows a reasonably safe route from Pymble to Circular Quay? I'm moving from the inner west, where there are terrific routes into town, and I want to be able to keep commuting by bike. But I really don't like the idea of riding the Pacific Highway. Every time I think about it, it takes the pleasure out of cycling. Hoping someone out there has some ideas. Thanks.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Pacific Highway probably IS the safest route. Just because the speed limit is 60 doesn't mean the traffic is actually moving that fast. On the way into the city you don't have as much of an uphill iirc. The way home might not be as friendly, but let's face it, it's basically a slow moving carpark in peak hour.

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Picked out a new commute route for March, and I'm upping the ante to ~30KM each way.

http://app.strava.com/rides/4564663

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:29 pm

DavidTomic wrote:Picked out a new commute route for March, and I'm upping the ante to ~30KM each way.

Looks good, until it gets windy :D

I tried to up my commute to 30kms each way but it killed me.

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:52 pm

That's what I'm worried about! :P

I've been doing ~20K (each way) for the last month or so - and haven't really had too many problems with it - but this is still a pretty decent increase.

Just have to try it and see I guess! ;)

greeny23

Postby greeny23 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:00 pm

depending how i feel on the day..

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:44 am

Mugglechops wrote:
DavidTomic wrote:Picked out a new commute route for March, and I'm upping the ante to ~30KM each way.

Looks good, until it gets windy :D

I tried to up my commute to 30kms each way but it killed me.

I found I initially struggled with my round trip commute and was stopping twice on my way home to have a sugar hit but now I am doing it non stop. I find the key to it is ensuring you have enough food during the day, and I guess the right food. On days when I dont have enough I struggle on my way home with energy levels.

Your speeds may drop a bit to but will eventually increase the more you do it. I have increased my trip by 10 k's or so the last two days, now makes my round trip 100k's for the day, and I certainly am feeling it in the legs but I know the more I do it the more I will get used to it.

mitty

Postby mitty » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:05 pm

My Melbourne commute generally consists of two major options, similar to many here no doubt... the quick road route (Hawthorn to CBD through Richmond), or the scenic river but much longer route. Generally in the past, I would ride early along the quicker road route before the traffic got too painful, and then in the afternoon I would ride home along the river to get in some extra k's. Only problem is I have now moved offices and my two options to get to the river in the afternoon are Elizabeth Street (yuck) or Swanston Street (which is a complete mess due to the tramworks). I'm going to attempt both this week and see how I go.

hamwedges

Postby hamwedges » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi all, im new to Sydney and I was wondering if someone might be able to hel me out with a few suggestions on how to expand my daily commute? As you can see it's very short (5km), im looking at pushing it out to about 15km. Generally i ride this route (below) or sometimes i go via Miller St. Anyone got any ideas on some interesting routes without too much traffic?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Ned28 wrote:Hi, wondering if anyone knows a reasonably safe route from Pymble to Circular Quay? I'm moving from the inner west, where there are terrific routes into town, and I want to be able to keep commuting by bike. But I really don't like the idea of riding the Pacific Highway. Every time I think about it, it takes the pleasure out of cycling. Hoping someone out there has some ideas. Thanks.
I'd go the highway.

I had to travel into Glebe today (from Thornleigh area) and took the highway from Pearces Corner (Wahroonga) all the way to Mowbray Rd.

Trip in was at about midday.. so I had to contend with parked cars in the outside lane; it'd be easier in peak hour. No matter, I didn't have any hassles, and you can keep up a fairly good clip.

From Mowbray, I took Hampden down to the freeway cyclepath (first left just over the freeway overpass), then Amherst St and back onto the path for the fast run down to the roundabout on High St Nth Sydney.

Trip back at about 4:30, I didn't know my way out of Nth Sydney, so I just took the highway all the way back to Fox Valley Rd.

There's a few points where I hopped on the footpath (climb at Roseville, where its only two lanes), but from Killara all the way to Fox Valley Rd, I lane splitted because the traffic wasn't moving.

Again, no real hassles. Just watch behind you when merging back in from the third lane and make your intentions clear.

This was the first time I'd ridden this way.. the path beside the freeway and down to Nth Sydney is awesome.

If you really really don't want the Pac Highway, you could cut through Browns Waterhole at Turramurra and go through Ryde/Hunters Hill/Rozelle/Anzac.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:40 pm

I'm starting to get into my riding more and more so this morning I thought I'd ride the route I've been planning from home to work (Taylors Hill, near Caroline Springs to Melbourne CBD), about 35km one way.

My route (at present) is:
- from Taylors Rd/Gourlay Rd, up through Caroline Springs to Western Hwy, then onto the Deer Park Trail (ends at Fitzgerald Rd)
- North up Fitzgerald Rd 200m and onto Western Ring Rd trail and follow this up to the Federation trail
- follow the Federation trail to the end (Millers Rd) then North on Millers Rd to Francis St.
- down Francis St about half way then left onto Severn St
- follow Severn St up to Anderson St
- follow Anderson St/Schild St (through Yarraville), to Hyde St
- North on Hyde St to Parker St and follow across Moreland St/Docklands Hwy and up to Napier St bridge.
- from here there is a bike track that follows Docklands Hwy along the dock yards, past Costco and the half-built wheel and onto Docklands.
- left at LaTrobe St and into the CBD....

Looking to give this a go for real hopefully one day next week. Planning to leave around 5.45am and hoping to arrive at work by 7.30am in time for a shower, change of clothes and a quick bite before starting work at 8am.
From home to Millers Rd it takes around 45mins along the bike paths but as it will be dark/dim at that time of the morning I anticipate I will need to ride a bit slower along the trails...and with the traffic on Francis St around 7am I plan to ride at a safe and steady speed.
On the return trip home I will leave work at 4.15pm and hope to be home around 6pm (praying the westerly headwind gods are good to me)...
Once I've ridden this route a few times I will no doubt have a better idea on how long it will take.

Is there anyone out there that rides this route (or part thereof) that has any advice, suggestions or tips???

Cheers,
Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Fri May 11, 2012 12:55 pm

This is my afternoon commute between Abbotsford and Bayswater - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/ab ... -bayswater

The first half is quite straight forward, but the second half has many more rises and some are just bloody hard work after a day in the office.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue May 15, 2012 7:27 pm

DoogleDave wrote:I'm starting to get into my riding more and more so this morning I thought I'd ride the route I've been planning from home to work (Taylors Hill, near Caroline Springs to Melbourne CBD), about 35km one way.

My route (at present) is:
- from Taylors Rd/Gourlay Rd, up through Caroline Springs to Western Hwy, then onto the Deer Park Trail (ends at Fitzgerald Rd)
- North up Fitzgerald Rd 200m and onto Western Ring Rd trail and follow this up to the Federation trail
- follow the Federation trail to the end (Millers Rd) then North on Millers Rd to Francis St.
- down Francis St about half way then left onto Severn St
- follow Severn St up to Anderson St
- follow Anderson St/Schild St (through Yarraville), to Hyde St
- North on Hyde St to Parker St and follow across Moreland St/Docklands Hwy and up to Napier St bridge.
- from here there is a bike track that follows Docklands Hwy along the dock yards, past Costco and the half-built wheel and onto Docklands.
- left at LaTrobe St and into the CBD....

Looking to give this a go for real hopefully one day next week. Planning to leave around 5.45am and hoping to arrive at work by 7.30am in time for a shower, change of clothes and a quick bite before starting work at 8am.
From home to Millers Rd it takes around 45mins along the bike paths but as it will be dark/dim at that time of the morning I anticipate I will need to ride a bit slower along the trails...and with the traffic on Francis St around 7am I plan to ride at a safe and steady speed.
On the return trip home I will leave work at 4.15pm and hope to be home around 6pm (praying the westerly headwind gods are good to me)...
Once I've ridden this route a few times I will no doubt have a better idea on how long it will take.

Is there anyone out there that rides this route (or part thereof) that has any advice, suggestions or tips???

Cheers,
Dave
As a follow-up I rode to work last Thursday and really enjoyed it.
Up at 5am and on the bike at 5.30am and arrived at work at 7am (1 hr 27 min), then on the way home left work at 4.30pm and arrived home just after 6pm (1 hr 33 min) - 72km round trip.

Taking the bike in for it's first service this Thursday so hoping to run this route again next week (if the weather gods are favourable).

Anyone that is out there contemplating such a journey - just do it! I felt great the entire day when I rode to work and I made sure I drank plenty of water during the day to stay hydrated so the return trip home wasn't so hard on the body...which seemed to work just fine. At this stage I'm not likely to ride in the wet weather so my ride days into work will be numbered over the next couple of months but i am so looking forward to the better weather later in the year so I can ride in at least 2-3 times a week....

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

spewyewi

Postby spewyewi » Mon May 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Ned28 wrote:Hi, wondering if anyone knows a reasonably safe route from Pymble to Circular Quay? I'm moving from the inner west, where there are terrific routes into town, and I want to be able to keep commuting by bike. But I really don't like the idea of riding the Pacific Highway. Every time I think about it, it takes the pleasure out of cycling. Hoping someone out there has some ideas. Thanks.

http://www.sydney-easy-riders.com.au/