Commute Routes

Gerry.M

Re: Commute Routes

Postby Gerry.M » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:15 am

michael_w wrote:This is my afternoon commute between Abbotsford and Bayswater - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/ab ... -bayswater

The first half is quite straight forward, but the second half has many more rises and some are just bloody hard work after a day in the office.
Hi Michael,

I was taking your route from St Kilda Rd > Abbotsford > Heathmont, but found it just took me too long (near on 2hrs), and as you mention the last hilly section through Mullum Mullum is a killer.

I now do this which takes 1:30 and is around 30ks.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/st ... -heathmont

It's more on road than the Freeway trail, but far more direct

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Lebowski wrote:
michael_w wrote:This is my afternoon commute between Abbotsford and Bayswater - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/ab ... -bayswater

The first half is quite straight forward, but the second half has many more rises and some are just bloody hard work after a day in the office.
Hi Michael,

I was taking your route from St Kilda Rd > Abbotsford > Heathmont, but found it just took me too long (near on 2hrs), and as you mention the last hilly section through Mullum Mullum is a killer.

Thanks Lebowski, that looks like a good alternative. I don't mind riding on the road, but I've just become used to the trails I suppose. For the first 12 months or so I was riding from Box Hill Stn to Abbotsford via Whitehorse Rd, Cotham Rd, Studley Park Rd exclusively. It's only about 12 km that way, but very direct. The traffic on Whitehorse Rd and Cotham Rd was generally OK, but the Kew Junction and Studley Park Rd could be a bit hairy at times.

I imagine Mont Albert Rd and some of the others are a bit quieter. I might just try this out next week :wink:

rjk

Postby rjk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm

michael_w wrote:
Lebowski wrote:

Hi Michael,

Thanks Lebowski, that looks like a good alternative. I don't mind riding on the road, but I've just become used to the trails I suppose. For the first 12 months or so I was riding from Box Hill Stn to Abbotsford via Whitehorse Rd, Cotham Rd, Studley Park Rd exclusively. It's only about 12 km that way, but very direct. The traffic on Whitehorse Rd and Cotham Rd was generally OK, but the Kew Junction and Studley Park Rd could be a bit hairy at times.

I imagine Mont Albert Rd and some of the others are a bit quieter. I might just try this out next week :wink:
Hi I work near the corner of chapel and dandenong rd, my route is all road very direct and approx 25km each way

from windsor. along chapel over the river and keep going till swan st, hook right turn onto swan then all the way to burnley, turn left onto burnly and keep following it all the way along till you reach victoria, where the ikea is, right turn and keep going up the cutting it turns into barker and keep going, it starts to get a little hilly this way but its good training, follow it till it turns into a t intersection, turn left then right onto mont albert, follow this till you hit the railway xing and turn left just before mont albert station, this takes you to whitehorse, right turn and follow it till you reach your destination, i turn off just after deep creek rd mitcham.

i do the reverse in the morning, 70min door to door in the morning, slightly downhill all the way and 90 min on the return afternoon journey

i do leave early in the morning and i do have great bike lights, updated ayups, and a tioga dual eyes rear blinky with a flea usb helmet light as a back up
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

busted_stuff

Sydney to Wollongong?

Postby busted_stuff » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi there,

Does anyone do a version of sydney to wollongong for their commute? Or part thereof (more likely)? I'm teaching down there this semester, and eyeing the chance to get a few more kms in the legs :)

On a side note re. this thread... perhaps we have enough routes to have commute threads per state?

cheers,
drew

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Lebowski wrote:

Hi Michael,

Lebowski, I tried this last week and it was chaotic. The number of main roads to traverse where there are no lights, but plenty of through traffic, made it very stop/start. I ended up going as far as Springvale Rd and catching the train from Nunawading.

Rode the old trusty Studley Park Rd - Cotham Rd - Whitehorse Rd route last night to Laburnum and caught the train from there. Very straightforward, no dodgy intersections (apart from into Cotham Rd from Kew) and a constant incline *groan*

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:41 pm

michael_w wrote:
Rode the old trusty Studley Park Rd - Cotham Rd - Whitehorse Rd route last night to Laburnum and caught the train from there. Very straightforward, no dodgy intersections (apart from into Cotham Rd from Kew) and a constant incline *groan*
You could substitute the bike lane of Mont Albert Rd for Whitehorse Rd. And Barkers or Burwood Roads afterwards, or the sidestreets in between.

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:43 am

michael_w wrote: Lebowski, I tried this last week and it was chaotic. The number of main roads to traverse where there are no lights, but plenty of through traffic, made it very stop/start. I ended up going as far as Springvale Rd and catching the train from Nunawading.

Chaotic? :? Well it is start stop, I'd agree with that. The main pain points are Station St and Blackburn Rd as there are no lights so you just need to wait for a gap.

I did the freeway route last week and although it was much quicker than last time I did it in March, it is still longer and feels like you are riding all over the shop. Very zig-zaggy.

I'll give Cotham Rd - Whitehorse Rd a try one of these days, I have been meaning to see what that's like.
Unfortunately I find that there isn't a straightforward way from Box Hill to Ringwood which is why I take those back streets. (Ringwood to Box HIll bike path please!!)
I tried Canterbury Rd for a section from Nunawading to Mitcham recently and it seemed like I was moments away from being bowled over the whole time.
Trying to mix it with cars doing 70km/h when you are pushing to do 30 is no fun.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:06 am

Lebowski wrote: Unfortunately I find that there isn't a straightforward way from Box Hill to Ringwood which is why I take those back streets. (Ringwood to Box HIll bike path please!!).
Koonung Trail, Lebowski! :smile:

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:12 am

clackers wrote:
Lebowski wrote: Unfortunately I find that there isn't a straightforward way from Box Hill to Ringwood which is why I take those back streets. (Ringwood to Box HIll bike path please!!).
That's what I was referring to above as the "freeway route". It gets me to where I want to go but is somewhat "circuitous".

This is what I was referring to, but I'd imagine I'll have retired from cycling by the time it is built based on the gov's commitment to bicycle infrastructure spending.
http://www.bhrrt.org/

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:28 pm

Lebowski wrote:
That's what I was referring to above as the "freeway route". It gets me to where I want to go but is somewhat "circuitous".
Well, it finishes right in Ringwood itself, so that end can't be the worry.

If you think you have to go too far north of Box Hill to reach it, why not first head along Springfield Rd?

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:42 am

michael_w wrote:........
Michael,

I took Whitehorse Rd this morning and was a nice ride from Ringwood to Box Hill. After that I just followed Mont Albert Rd and the rest of my usual route.
Suffice to say I won't be taking the back roads any more through Blackburn/Mitcham etc :wink:

It also took about 15 minutes off my normal time thanks to the directness of it. :D

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:15 pm

This is my new commute from Everton Park to QUT Gardens Point, Brisbane. Imagine it will tweak in time once I a) know where I'm going and b) get fitter.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/ev ... ark-to-qut

Dan

VRE

Postby VRE » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:24 pm

clackers wrote:
I 2nd that :D . Here's a video I made in December, showing some highlights from my commute home via the Koonung Creek Trail. The part of my commute from the MCG to the Main Yarra Trail has changed slightly (I now ride Yarra Boulevard instead of Studley Park Rd + High St). I always enjoy riding home via the MYT and KCT.
My commute from Melbourne CBD to Ringwood North via the Koonung Creek Trail

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:40 am

VRE wrote:
clackers wrote:
I 2nd that :D . Here's a video I made in December, showing some highlights from my commute home via the Koonung Creek Trail. The part of my commute from the MCG to the Main Yarra Trail has changed slightly (I now ride Yarra Boulevard instead of Studley Park Rd + High St). I always enjoy riding home via the MYT and KCT.
My commute from Melbourne CBD to Ringwood North via the Koonung Creek Trail
I had seen your video earlier in the year which is what put me onto taking that route home, and I also enjoy the ride home on the trail. Nice vid btw..
I did the KCT last week for a change, but found it still takes a while for me to get home as I'm going from Prahran across to Kew to pick it up. If I worked in the CBD it would be perfect.

LM324

Postby LM324 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:48 pm

After a bit of route advice here, anyone commute into Sydney city via Epping road? Did a trial run recently and followed the route recommended by Google maps. Turned off where there are the two big advertisement signs and went down West street and then Miller street then through Saint peters park to get onto the harbour bridge. Is this a good route to follow? Anything you recommend I change?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Philipthelam wrote:After a bit of route advice here, anyone commute into Sydney city via Epping road? Did a trial run recently and followed the route recommended by Google maps. Turned off where there are the two big advertisement signs and went down West street and then Miller street then through Saint peters park to get onto the harbour bridge. Is this a good route to follow? Anything you recommend I change?
The only times I've ridden into the city, I've gone up Amherst, straight through at West St, through Cammeray, quick right/left down onto the freeway slip lane, then the cycleway through to Alfred St North, and under the bridge approach at High St to get to the SHB steps. This is much quicker and less argy-bargy with traffic than going through North Sydney.

LM324

Postby LM324 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:00 pm

duncanm wrote:
Philipthelam wrote:After a bit of route advice here, anyone commute into Sydney city via Epping road? Did a trial run recently and followed the route recommended by Google maps. Turned off where there are the two big advertisement signs and went down West street and then Miller street then through Saint peters park to get onto the harbour bridge. Is this a good route to follow? Anything you recommend I change?
The only times I've ridden into the city, I've gone up Amherst, straight through at West St, through Cammeray, quick right/left down onto the freeway slip lane, then the cycleway through to Alfred St North, and under the bridge approach at High St to get to the SHB steps. This is much quicker and less argy-bargy with traffic than going through North Sydney.
Thanks Duncanm. I did think about going this way and will try it when I get the time (nearly holidays yes!). I see a lot of cyclists ride there in the morning, my bus into the city goes on the freeway. It looks like a nice place to ride since it seems all flat/downhill. Only thing I am concerned about is the extra distance since I am actually commuting to somewhere past the city and the distance by going through north sydney is already pushing it.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:46 am

Dunno if this will work, but it is a flyover of my arvo commute using google maps via map my ride. Doesn't give any idea of elevation and the mapping is a bit old, but you get an idea anyway.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/render_ ... myride.com
Dogs are the best people :wink:

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Thu May 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to cycling so I'm not comfortable sharing on main roads. Can you please recommend a cycle route for my commute? Priority is safety. I go from Baulkham Hills to Pennant Hills.

I put one together a draft one on bikely:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/commute-145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-There are bus lanes on Windsor Rd so I should be ok (fingers crossed)
-M2 is supposed to have dedicated cycle paths right?
-I will use the footpath on the short section of Pennant Hills Rd.
-I will go on Hannah St as it is quieter and runs parallel to Copeland Rd
-I will then follow the train track from Beecroft
-There is an offroad path connecting Beecroft to Pennant Hills
-Finish at the business centre at Pennant Hills

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat May 04, 2013 3:15 pm

dajackal wrote:Hi guys,

I'm new to cycling so I'm not comfortable sharing on main roads. Can you please recommend a cycle route for my commute? Priority is safety. I go from Baulkham Hills to Pennant Hills.

I put one together a draft one on bikely:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/commute-145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-There are bus lanes on Windsor Rd so I should be ok (fingers crossed)
-M2 is supposed to have dedicated cycle paths right?
-I will use the footpath on the short section of Pennant Hills Rd.
-I will go on Hannah St as it is quieter and runs parallel to Copeland Rd

Yes to bus lane on Windsor Rd being OK.
The M2 cycle route is the break down lane BUT its still not open to bicycles with the widening roadworks. That said the section from Windsor Rd to Pennant Hills Rd is complete and I know of one cyclist who rides it regardless. I haven't personally though. I commute from Castle Hill to St Leonards and used to ride out to Baulko and get on to the M2 at Windsor rd myself to do a few more km in the morning. It should only be a month or two until its legal to ride the M2 again.
I use the footpath between the M2 and Aiken rd both ways at the moment. It's nice and wide.
I've ridden Copeland and Hannah before and your route choice is what I'd do.
The rest of your route I have no idea about.

If you want to avoid riding the M2 illegally there's Renown Rd with the massive Big Dipper or ride to Castle Hill and go Crane Rd, Highs Rd, Taylor St, Aiken Rd. there's a footpath between Castlewood Drive and Highs Rd. IMO much better than Renown Rd but plenty of hills of course. No avoiding them anywhere in the Hills.

Here's an example of one of my morning commutes since I live on Crane Rd: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/304867394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sun May 05, 2013 9:50 pm

dajackal wrote:...

Just on that last bit... the path really is 'off road'. Its a bunch of steep wood/dirt steps down through a weed-infested gully and back up again.
Ok if you don't mind a bit of bike portage I guess, though it'd be a mess in the rain. Then there's a steep short climb back up Wongala.

You don't seem averse to riding the footpath where it makes sense -- I take the eastern footpath on Beecroft and PH's road when ascending between Albert and Trebor Rd (which is where your business park is).

Alternative 2 is cross to the Eastern side of the railway at Chapman, then do Sutherland, steps to Clemente Cl, Azalea, Hampden, which brings you out at the Railway crossing at Pennant Hills.

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon May 06, 2013 7:25 am

Another chilly one, about 3.5° at home when I left, and 9° in Melbourne. I didn't wear gloves, and my hands were slightly numb when I got to work. The bike was running very smoothly, as I'd cleaned it on Saturday, and replaced both brake cables (including cable outers + their caps), brake pads, and handlebar tape on Sunday :D . Looks good, now.

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Mon May 06, 2013 8:04 am

duncanm wrote:Just on that last bit... the path really is 'off road'. Its a bunch of steep wood/dirt steps down through a weed-infested gully and back up again.
Ok if you don't mind a bit of bike portage I guess, though it'd be a mess in the rain. Then there's a steep short climb back up Wongala.

You don't seem averse to riding the footpath where it makes sense -- I take the eastern footpath on Beecroft and PH's road when ascending between Albert and Trebor Rd (which is where your business park is).

Alternative 2 is cross to the Eastern side of the railway at Chapman, then do Sutherland, steps to Clemente Cl, Azalea, Hampden, which brings you out at the Railway crossing at Pennant Hills.
I'm already commuting through that gully. I just go through the rocky trail that follows the train tracks to avoid the descent/ascent.

I currently cycle on sections of footpath on Beecroft Rd when coming up from my current residence in Epping. So I'm prepared to ride on footpath to stay alive :) Not fit enough to keep up with traffic just yet.
Boognoss wrote: If you want to avoid riding the M2 illegally there's Renown Rd with the massive Big Dipper or ride to Castle Hill and go Crane Rd, Highs Rd, Taylor St, Aiken Rd. there's a footpath between Castlewood Drive and Highs Rd. IMO much better than Renown Rd but plenty of hills of course. No avoiding them anywhere in the Hills.
Thanks that sounds like a good alternative to the M2 route - I was actually worried I wouldn't be confident enough to ride on a motorway.

How do I cross from Castlewood to Highs? Is it through Castlewood Reserve like in the map here?
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/boognoss-suggested" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon May 06, 2013 3:33 pm

dajackal wrote:
duncanm wrote:Just on that last bit... the path really is 'off road'. Its a bunch of steep wood/dirt steps down through a weed-infested gully and back up again.

I'm already commuting through that gully. I just go through the rocky trail that follows the train tracks to avoid the descent/ascent.
.... I didn't know there was such a thing!

I tried the gully once a long time back in the dark and gave up after that.

I'll have to check it out tonight -- do you enter off this footbridge over the culvert?

Google Street View, Wongala Crescent

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Mon May 06, 2013 3:38 pm

duncanm wrote: I'll have to check it out tonight -- do you enter off this footbridge over the culvert?

Google Street View, Wongala Crescent
yes go over the footbridge and just follow the fence; the trail is a little narrow and very rocky, but i still manage to ride through it on my hybrid :)