Commute Routes

JohnJoyner

Re: Commute Routes

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:30 pm

wycle wrote:Hi

I am looking to bicycle commute to Sydney CBD (Town Hall) from the Bankstown area.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be the best route? I am looking for areas of low traffic if possible.

I used to ride in from Homebush & now I ride in from Revesby. If I was you I'd be getting onto Cooks River Cycle path as soon as possible, as suggested by Find Bruce. Airport Drive, Bourke Rd cycleway, Prince Alfred Park, etc....
I ride the M5 cyclepath & what's left of it is pretty crap, but I haven't much choice from my area.

http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=16&la ... ayers=B000

Try this link, it's pretty good too.

JJ

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:44 pm

I'll be commuting from Lane Cove North to the CBD. Any tips on routes?

I'd like the option to try both the safe route and the quick route, I just don't know what these are exactly! I just got my bike on Sunday and had a quick spin up the Epping Rd cycle lane and it spat me out in Naremburn at which point I turned around (as I didn't want to get caught in the dark without lights!)

Also, I've heard some stories about some agro cyclists on this route - Is it true? I'd much rather a pressure-free commute!

Any tips/advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
V

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:23 pm

V-meister wrote:I'll be commuting from Lane Cove North to the CBD. Any tips on routes?

I'd like the option to try both the safe route and the quick route, I just don't know what these are exactly! I just got my bike on Sunday and had a quick spin up the Epping Rd cycle lane and it spat me out in Naremburn at which point I turned around (as I didn't want to get caught in the dark without lights!)

Also, I've heard some stories about some agro cyclists on this route - Is it true? I'd much rather a pressure-free commute!

Any tips/advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
V

Welcome outside V. I am assuming you can find your way from the Epping Rd cycle path. I have only ever ridden with the tidal flow & never come across an agro cyclist on the path, but, human nature being what it is, I am sure they exist. Anyone who is riding against the flow will no probably have a different story. There are a few hazards you need to be aware of along the path - basically wherever cars can cross your path, there is always a risk they will do so without looking let alone giving way.

At Naremburn heading into town, cross the Brook St on-ramp up to West St. You then have a few options - Amherst St to the Warringah expressway take the Alfred St exit & cross under the bridge approach at Fitzroy St.

The other option is down West St & through North Sydney

Leaving the city, you have fewer options - cross the Pacific Highway at Miller St, left at Ridge, right at West

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:12 pm

find_bruce wrote:Welcome outside V. I am assuming you can find your way from the Epping Rd cycle path. I have only ever ridden with the tidal flow & never come across an agro cyclist on the path, but, human nature being what it is, I am sure they exist. Anyone who is riding against the flow will no probably have a different story. There are a few hazards you need to be aware of along the path - basically wherever cars can cross your path, there is always a risk they will do so without looking let alone giving way.

At Naremburn heading into town, cross the Brook St on-ramp up to West St. You then have a few options - Amherst St to the Warringah expressway take the Alfred St exit & cross under the bridge approach at Fitzroy St.

The other option is down West St & through North Sydney

Leaving the city, you have fewer options - cross the Pacific Highway at Miller St, left at Ridge, right at West

Thanks so much Bruce, this is really helpful! I'm going to give this a go on the weekend.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:13 pm

that's part of my regular commute to St Leonard's.
nothing untoward. have not come across any aggro cyclist.
you should be aware that there is a lot of pedestrians around the Longueville/Epping Road intersection. the foot traffic there during weekday peak hour is very different from the weekend.
also watch for cars entering Epping Rd from Phoenix and Kimberley St.
go slow with caution.

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:01 pm

caneye wrote:that's part of my regular commute to St Leonard's.
nothing untoward. have not come across any aggro cyclist.
you should be aware that there is a lot of pedestrians around the Longueville/Epping Road intersection. the foot traffic there during weekday peak hour is very different from the weekend.
also watch for cars entering Epping Rd from Phoenix and Kimberley St.
go slow with caution.

Thank you caneye, appreciate the tips. Out of interest, what's considered peak time? I'm interested in how busy things are at certain times. I.e. Is 7am still quiet and 8am full on peak hour?

Cheers!

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Ok so I had a crack at this route over the weekend and it must be my poor fitness levels (combined with 50/34 gearing on my bike), but it's unexpectedly hilly!! Good workout, but sometimes I feel like a flatter commute would be enjoyable too.

I'm sure I'll get better with time but the inclines were definitely more gruelling than I'd bargained for haha :P

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:21 pm

V-meister wrote:Ok so I had a crack at this route over the weekend and it must be my poor fitness levels (combined with 50/34 gearing on my bike), but it's unexpectedly hilly!! Good workout, but sometimes I feel like a flatter commute would be enjoyable too.

I'm sure I'll get better with time but the inclines were definitely more gruelling than I'd bargained for haha :P

One of the reasons I was glad to move out of chatswood is that its was always uphill to get home

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:29 pm

find_bruce wrote:One of the reasons I was glad to move out of chatswood is that its was always uphill to get home

I don't blame you!

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 am

V-meister wrote:Thank you caneye, appreciate the tips. Out of interest, what's considered peak time? I'm interested in how busy things are at certain times. I.e. Is 7am still quiet and 8am full on peak hour?

Cheers!

traffic generally build up from 7am onwards, when tradies hit the roads.

from 8am onwards, you'll see a lot more pedestrians, especially school kids.

oh .. tackle the hills as part of your fitness training :D

Manny

Postby Manny » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:16 am

Hello

I'm looking for some different options to commute from St Clair (Western Sydney) to the CBD. The "best" route I found so far is down the Great Western Highway through Parramatta turning left onto James Ruse Dr followed by Victoria Rd over Anzac Bridge into the CBD around 52km. Are there any good routes on the south side of the river. I really want to avoid zigzagging and Parramatta Rd.

I was also looking at taking the M7 bike path followed by the M2 but not sure about the roadworks detour between Windsor Rd & Penanthills Rd. is it easy to ride? Anybody got any "ridewithgps" routes or similar which I can load onto my computer.

Thanks for any help

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Anyone commute from Cromer or Narraweena to the city? any good routes? I have a relatively low tolerance for busy traffic