ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:56 am

Okay - I'm new to Melbourne and new to commuting. Only have a short 4.5km jaunt, Northcote to FItzroy. I seem to be coasting all the way!

Anyway, despite the shared path near a park I take the road as it seems more direct and quicker. Not that I'm gunning it at all, I just like to flow thorugh the traffic. Just this morning I've just noticed how many commuters are wearing ipods while riding. On the road.

Um, this is kinda dangerous, right? Not only for the ipod wearers but the other cyclists who they seem to be completely oblivious to. Most of the ipod wearers seem to be women going reasonably slowly, but I also noticed a lycra clad roadie guy tearing up the road wearing one.

Granted, I'm new to melbourne commuting, but not to biking. I would have though auditory awareness was as important as visual when on a bike with traffic.

Also, you'd think seeing the ambulance attending to the guy who fallen off/got hit while riding his Giant roadie on Brunswick Rd this morning would have been a bit of an alert.

Okay - rant over.
misterhorsey
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Northcote

by BNA » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:07 am

BNA
 

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby m@ » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:07 am

Common topic for 'holy wars' hereabouts ;)

The volume may be sufficiently low that they can still hear traffic noise etc. I used to wear an iPod on my commute when I lived in the ACT(almost entirely on shared paths), but gave it up because I couldn't hear the music over the wind rush anyway. These days I come across plenty of cyclists on the road who seem completely oblivious to their surroundings, but that doesn't seem to be dependent on whether or not they're listening to music ;)
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
User avatar
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 4616
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Northlandia

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:24 am

G'day

Been done to death .... please use the search feature called Google and read the existing threads. I really can't see the value of yet another one on this topic.


Regards
Andrew
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20518
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:49 pm

Thanks. Point taken. Didn't wish to revive a done to death topic.
misterhorsey
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Northcote

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby m@ » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:50 pm

Aushiker wrote:I really can't see the value of yet another one on this topic.


Entertainment value? ;)
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
User avatar
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 4616
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Northlandia

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:19 pm

misterhorsey wrote:Thanks. Point taken. Didn't wish to revive a done to death topic.


No worries. The search feature does not work to well, so if you are not familiar with Google's site search feature it easier to just start a new thread.

Regards
Andrew
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20518
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby Tom Marius » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:20 pm

well, on a slightly different note, on the merri creek trail today i got stuck behind a clueless teenage girl swerving all over the path talking on her mobile phone :roll:
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-
User avatar
Tom Marius
 
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:20 pm
Location: Melbourne, occasionally Hobart

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:05 pm

Tom Marius wrote:well, on a slightly different note, on the merri creek trail today i got stuck behind a clueless teenage girl swerving all over the path talking on her mobile phone :roll:

She just needs some guidance from an experienced cyclist ie. You! So what did you do? ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17082
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby Tom Marius » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:37 pm

sogood wrote:
Tom Marius wrote:well, on a slightly different note, on the merri creek trail today i got stuck behind a clueless teenage girl swerving all over the path talking on her mobile phone :roll:

She just needs some guidance from an experienced cyclist ie. You! So what did you do? ;)


not much actually, she actually turned off the trail after a while, i didn't want to push past as it's quite narrow. i don't think i'm scary enough/big enough/good enough at cycling myself to have given her a lecture haha :)
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-
User avatar
Tom Marius
 
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:20 pm
Location: Melbourne, occasionally Hobart

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby DaNmAn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 pm

I listen to my iPod religiously on my commutes.

32km gets pretty boring without music.

having said that, I am very careful that I have it set at such a volume that I can still hear ambient noise around me, and as such have had many conversations at ped x-ings with fellow cyclists whilst still playing music.

I find it is an issue across the board of cycle path users, not just cyclists, a lot of them have their music too loud and regardless of the volume of my warning, or # of times I rngmy bell, they still jump to teh side when I go past them, even with a very wide berth.

Using them is ok, as long as you are still aware of whats going on around you
User avatar
DaNmAn
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:01 pm

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby psy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:08 am

DaNmAn wrote:Using them is ok, as long as you are still aware of whats going on around you


I agree. I use my ipod every now and then on my commute to work. The volume is however so low that when in noisy traffic I can't hear the music - which is probably a good thing!
2009 Giant CRX-2
User avatar
psy
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:47 am

Tom Marius wrote:not much actually, she actually turned off the trail after a while, i didn't want to push past as it's quite narrow. i don't think i'm scary enough/big enough/good enough at cycling myself to have given her a lecture haha :)

Who said lecture? Gentle persuasion!!!
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17082
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby mikedufty » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:04 am

Ipod wearers are not necessarily listening to music. I mainly listen to spoken word podcasts, eg. The science show and Occam's Razor. About half way through a librivox recording "origin of the species" too, which must make me even more of a candidate for a Darwin award.
User avatar
mikedufty
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Western Australia, Bull Creek

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby Biffidus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:40 pm

DaNmAn wrote:I find it is an issue across the board of cycle path users, not just cyclists, a lot of them have their music too loud and regardless of the volume of my warning, or # of times I rngmy bell, they still jump to teh side when I go past them, even with a very wide berth.

Using them is ok, as long as you are still aware of whats going on around you

That's what my Air Zound is for, plus the reactions make for some great entertainment!
User avatar
Biffidus
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: RADelaide

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:37 am

Tom Marius wrote:well, on a slightly different note, on the merri creek trail today i got stuck behind a clueless teenage girl swerving all over the path talking on her mobile phone :roll:

I've seen a few Darwin Award candidates do this while crossing the Harbour Bridge cycleway. No helmet either. Unfortunately the most recent was coming the opposite way so I didn't get the opportunity to share my organ donor joke with him.
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10409
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:22 am

Do what Tim and Cindie Travis do - they have their Mp3 players hooked up with a small speaker in their handle-bar bags. Not a method to be emplyed by weight weenies though.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
User avatar
hartleymartin
 
Posts: 5073
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: Old Toongabbie, NSW

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby sharktamin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:33 pm

misterhorsey wrote:Okay - I'm new to Melbourne and new to commuting. Only have a short 4.5km jaunt, Northcote to FItzroy. I seem to be coasting all the way!


This is uni student territory. Listening to the lecture your mates recorded for you before getting in will always be more important than traffic, or life itself. In fact some lecturers could be more dangerous than the traffic!

I don't own an ipod so I can't speak on them with authority, but very few of my commutes are long enough to require more entertainment than being alone with my mind.

Then again back in '74 I had a teardrop shaped radio that clamped onto the handle bars (AM only of couse). And that was very cool. Nothing like 3XY to keep you pedalling with rhythm.
User avatar
sharktamin
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby Fletcher » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:55 pm

I wouldn't do it. Situational awarenes is massively reduced while listening to loud music through headphones. Most of us don't realise how much we rely on our hearing for our safety until it's compromised. I know, I have a mild hearing disability.
Fletcher
 
Posts: 1122
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:50 pm
Location: Melba, ACT

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby black4tress » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:47 am

I have found a middle ground with this issue. I listen to music but with one ear (normally the left) and tend to listen out for cars etc with my right ear. I know, I'm a bloke and it was tough at first doing two things at once but you get use to it - and my 22km commute is more enjoyable. I found that listening to music with both ears was dangerous as I wasnt aware of my surroundings and esp cars that are approaching from the rear.
Best of both worlds here.

Tony.
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]
Image
User avatar
black4tress
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby Super Commuter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:00 pm

Fletcher wrote:I wouldn't do it. Situational awarenes is massively reduced while listening to loud music through headphones.


+1 I need all my wits about me while commuting and riding more generally - there are too many idiots out there! Listening to an ipod does nothing for my safety and that is my biggest priority.
Super Commuter
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:59 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby Bruce » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:21 pm

black4tress wrote:I have found a middle ground with this issue. I listen to music but with one ear (normally the left) and tend to listen out for cars etc with my right ear. I know, I'm a bloke and it was tough at first doing two things at once but you get use to it - and my 22km commute is more enjoyable. I found that listening to music with both ears was dangerous as I wasnt aware of my surroundings and esp cars that are approaching from the rear.
Best of both worlds here.

Tony.
Listening with one ear, doesnt that do ya head in, listening in stereo? :lol:
Orbea Euskaltel ;Dura-Ace,Ultegra
Orbea Erandio-Hybrid
Catlike helmet
Bruce
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:45 pm
Location: Perth- West Australia-NOR

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby Zynster » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:29 pm

I don't need an ipod. I can SING! :lol:
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross
User avatar
Zynster
 
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:50 pm
Location: West End, Brisbane

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:08 pm

G'day

Mmm maybe I need a pair of these :)

Image

Details here.

Andrew
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20518
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:05 pm

Zynster wrote:I don't need an ipod. I can SING! :lol:


:lol: :lol: A DIY man! Love it. :lol:
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10409
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: ipods? while commuting? Say What?

Postby damhooligan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:26 pm

DaNmAn wrote: I find it is an issue across the board of cycle path users, not just cyclists, a lot of them have their music too loud and regardless of the volume of my warning, or # of times I ring my bell, they still jump to the side when I go past them, even with a very wide berth.



Why does it bother you when they jump?

I think it's funny , It's their choice/fault to not use their mp3* player correctly.
and that also goes for people walking in the middle of the shared path.

i also use my mp3 player* : I just love to listen to radio in the mornings....
I love tripple J's : robbie mariek and the doctor...good way of starting the day. :mrgreen:

And how many people listen to radio in the 'car', why are we not allowed to have the samme joy?
Enjoying music doesn't automaticly mean you are a bad cyclist.




*= i used the term mp3 player specifically , because an i-pod is a brand of mp3 player, and i use to prefer a different brand.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
User avatar
damhooligan
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: melbourne

Next

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers