First commute

DionM

First commute

Postby DionM » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Well did my first commute to work today :)

Coorparoo to Virginia. I cheated today, I caught a ferry for part of the way (Mowbray Pk to Bretts Wharf, and same on the return leg). Total riding each way was about 16kms, 7km and 9km each side of the 20min ferry ride. Eventually I'll ride the ferry distance (about 12kms extra). Avg HR was around 165, avg speed around 23 km/h, about 45mins on the bike in total. About 40m of climbing on the way there, and 60m on the way back.

Everything went well. I ride a Giant Yukon with a rack and Ortlieb back roller classic panniers, didn't really notice they were there so it was all good. Was nice to be riding without towing a trailer like a normally do (with my son onboard!).

The route I chose keeps me away from really busy roads, or at least if its a busy road it has a wide shoulder for a bike lane. Not confident enought yet to mix it with busy traffic, but I was happy that on the roads with the shoulder I was doing 30+ km/h and with the panniers I was a big enough road presence to be avoided.

Only stuff up was almost colliding with another rider as I came up from under a bridge underpass (Norman Ck) - just didn't see the guy, just heard a skid of brakes as I pulled out. Sorry if you read this forum :oops:

casual_cyclist

Re: First commute

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:04 pm

Well done on your first commute. For me commuting is the best part of my day and makes going to work a lot more bearable.
<removed by request>

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:48 pm

That's the way Dion, you'll be looking for the long way soon :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Pax

Postby Pax » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:32 am

Welcome to Brisbane's commuter-cycling community :D

Sounds like you're off to a great start. You'll rapidly gain confidence with the traffic. Be sure to update us when you start to take the longer route.

Enjoy

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri May 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Nice one Dion, i'm sure your riding confidence will increase in a matter of weeks and you'll be ditching the ferry in no time.
That underpass you talk about is a nasty one too, have had a few close calls myself there.

DionM

Postby DionM » Wed May 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Have changed my route - I now ride down to Bulimba and catch the ferry from Apollo Rd to Bretts Wharf (just across the river, basically). If there was a bridge it would be great, but anyway ...

A little further to ride, but it takes me the same time as being on the ferry for longer (getting on at an earlier stop), so obviously my average speed on the bike is about the same as that of the ferry. Takes me about an hour from door to door - including the ferry ride and a wait for it. Compared to about a 45 min drive in the car, its pretty good.

I think I will continue this until they complete the riverside pathway near the old Gasworks, then I'll start riding via the Story bridge, as I can stay on bike paths the whole way from the bridge to Racecourse Rd. Alternately, the bike path over the Gateway Bridge (once finished) might be an interesting diversion to, especially if they link it up with other bike paths.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 13, 2009 3:33 pm

DionM wrote:...Takes me about an hour from door to door - including the ferry ride and a wait for it. Compared to about a 45 min drive in the car, its pretty good...
Pretty Good?

Don't forget the hours excercise you've got that won't happen in the smokebox, money and karma in the bank :)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 13, 2009 3:56 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
DionM wrote:...Takes me about an hour from door to door - including the ferry ride and a wait for it. Compared to about a 45 min drive in the car, its pretty good...
Pretty Good?

Don't forget the hours excercise you've got that won't happen in the smokebox, money and karma in the bank :)

Shaun
I think that is terrific. You could join a gym, drive home, arrived tired, drag yourself out to the gym and 'work out' for an hour - pretty expensive. Or with your riding for 1 hour minus the 45 mins car commute time, you are effectively exercising for 1 hour and it is only 'costing' 15 mins of your time. Pretty good value. I am finding the same thing. I used to get home by bus and feel too tired to exercise. Now that I cycle commute I figure I am already on the bike, may as well take the long way home. Yesterday arvo I went for a ride around the river. Spectacular scenery, beautiful autumn day, very enjoyable ride.
<removed by request>

DionM

Postby DionM » Wed May 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Pretty Good?

Shaun
Of course, very true. Though I'm still trying to get the balance right - usually I drop my son at daycare off and my wife off when I drive, so on days I ride it sorta jumbles up the whole "normal" routine (my wife has to drop my son, then catch a bus, etc). Need to get that sorted out better (my wife got in very late to her office today), then I think I will feel more comfortable.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Ahh, the family conundrum, didn't know about that :oops:

Good luck making it work mate. It'll take some work, but you'll find a system that works best for all of you :D

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed May 13, 2009 5:32 pm

Hasn't your wife got a bike? They can be pretty cheap second hand.

DionM

Postby DionM » Wed May 13, 2009 6:43 pm

mikedufty wrote:Hasn't your wife got a bike? They can be pretty cheap second hand.
Oh yeah she has, but I don't think she is up to riding the hilly trail to the daycare with a trailer either. :lol:

DionM

Postby DionM » Wed May 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Here's my commute, using the ferry across the river. It's pretty direct 8) 18 kms.