Do you have different morning and afternoon routes?

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Do you have different morning and afternoon routes?

Postby hartleymartin » Tue May 26, 2009 3:59 pm

Do you have a longer or more scenic ride which you like to take when you have extra time?

Today I discovered that it is possible to take a much longer, but nicer route back home which mostly follows cycle-ways. My morning ride is mostly along quieter suburban roads, and takes me about 30 minutes, depending on how fast or slow I feel like riding (I have done it in under 25 minutes). Today I discovered that it is possible to link up with a cycle-way out the back of the TAFE college, through a park, which eventually leads to the T-way cycle-way, which leads to Orphan-School Creek cycle-way and up through a couple of quiet streets back home. Otherwise I can lengthen the trip a little more and only have to ride the last 1.5km from the Station to my house.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

by BNA » Tue May 26, 2009 4:47 pm

BNA

Re: Do you have different morning and afternoon routes?

Postby Kev365428 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:47 pm

I wish.

Kev.
Kev365428

Postby the dang » Tue May 26, 2009 6:42 pm

laugh all you want but on my morning commute I cross this creek via the mini concrete dam wall and over a paved path with trees/bush on either side. I didnt have the best lighting so at night I couldnt see too far in front and nothing side to side so I didn't like crossing back. I bypassed the crossing and I have since gotten better lights but bypassing it only ads a couple of hundred meters. Also at night you never know what could be lurking in those areas...including junkies/thugs.
the dang

Postby ruscook » Tue May 26, 2009 7:47 pm

Kev365428 wrote:I wish.

Kev.

I dunno Kev, of a morning I do the M7 cycleway south, then Hoxton Pk Rd east.

In the afternoon I do Hoxton Pk Rd west, and the M7 cycleway North.

Puts a totally different perspective on the commute :lol:

Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad
ruscook

Postby leximack » Tue May 26, 2009 8:45 pm

my direct commute is only about 9km, but can be taken many, many different ways and can add whatever lenght i want depending on time that i have.
Longest commute i have done is approx 90km which included Quakers Hill to the M7 cycleway then to the end at Prestons and then back to work at Castle Hill.
I have a regular 35km commute i do which zig zags through all the suburbs around my area and have a 50-55km commute i try and do once per week which uses the M2 and into Parramatta Park for some laps then back to Castle Hill.
Its all about variety IMO.
I couldnt go the same way everyday.
When magpie season comes along i have different commutes which bypasss all the known magpie hotspots.

Don
leximack

Postby Pax » Tue May 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Definitely.

Morning route (inbound) is a bit more scenic and definitely more hilly & a bit linger (29.3k), better shoulders/bike lanes etc. Unfortunately it is a deathtrap in part on the outbound journey (no shoulder, tight corners that cars cut you off on etc) so I ride home via the highway which is shorter and flatter (26.3k).

There is a 3rd route that I take when I want an even longer and hillier route...only ever use it outbound (not sure why??)...think it is about 32k. All good.
Pax

Postby Boognoss » Wed May 27, 2009 11:24 am

I have a fairly standard inbound Castle Hill to St Leonards route of 27km but occasionally add on another 10-15km.
On the way home I have a very hilly short route of 22km, regular 30km route and occasional 42km route. Each of the outbound routes are chosen to avoid traffic where unsafe particularly as it's dark the whole way home at this time of year.
Avanti Quantum, Salsa Casseroll, Specialized Tricross
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 27, 2009 3:17 pm

G'day

I have various commutes depending on where I am going; the time of day (e.g., traffic issues); how much time I have and so on.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby BandedRail » Thu May 28, 2009 10:37 pm

The commute route I've been using for yonks is 13 km each way, I used to think this was plenty :roll: . Recently, however, I bought a road bike & I now find myself going for 70+ km rides every Saturday, which leave me completely shattered for the rest of the weekend. So I'm going to spend this long weekend exploring a much longer route to take in the evenings so I can (hopefully) boost the fitness/stamina. Or maybe I should just stay away from the vino (yeah, right) ;)
BandedRail

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:01 pm

I am usually running late in the morning so go straight to work via the shortest route (although I often take it easy and take in the views of the Swan River on the way). In the afternoons, if I have time (and light) I like to take a longer route home. I have lots of them which I ride just for the fun of it, or sometimes via the local library. I ride 9km in the morning and up to 50km in the arvo depending on how if feel, time, light and if I have to do something else after work.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby gregorian » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:23 am

My morning run is the path around the Eastlink Tollway from Templestowe were the Eastlink meets Springvale Road around and down to Mulgrave/Wellington Road, in Melbourne.
The start of it wiggles through the Mullum Mullum Reserve (I think that's what it's called), which has plenty of steep hills. Fortunately for me there's more downhill than up when riding eastwards. I've seen hardcore guys walking their bikes up those hills in the opposite direction.

So I chicken out on the journey home.
I take side streets that are parallel to Springvale Road northwards, which are quicker and flatter and a different mood to the Eastlink run. And while I can get up early and have an epic journey in the morning, in the evening I have to get back to family so that has to be direct and quick as possible.
gregorian

Postby JustinS007 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:30 am

[quote="hartleymartin"]Do you have different morning and afternoon routes?[quote]
No, but I do check the wind direction and generally go out into it rather than with it. Yeah, yeah, I'm soft and pathetic :?
I'm a runner, but I sure love to ride!
JustinS007

Postby Chewbacconabike » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:55 pm

Thats one of the things i love about cycling. like tonight, i had to come home from work around when the footy was starting at The G. so i took a detour, and past all the footy commotion to get a taste of the finals fever :)
Chewbacconabike

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:13 am

my routes are different, but its based on commute route suitability
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby goneriding » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:28 am

Direct inbound is about 12km's but not exactly safe (only ever did it once)!

These days, I take a very indirect route through SOP, Concord, Canada Bay, Five Dock, Haberfield, Iron Cove, and into the City. Stacks up to just under 50km's and has lots of variety (flats, short climbs, fast downhills, etc). On the way home it's about 22km's along a more direct route that takes in parts of the morning commute.

My only wish is that the homeward commute was in the afternoon! At the moment it is at ungodly hours of the night!
goneriding

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:55 pm

I did my normal 11 k into work this morning, then 65 k to get home by a slightly different route.

David
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby Fletcher » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:58 am

I usually take the same route into work every morning, but often vary the afternoon route. I do this for a couple of reasons, but mainly to get more exercise and prevent it becoming tedious.
Fletcher

Postby brauluver » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:12 pm

Yes, I do.
Morning commute 5.30 to 6 am is a direct main road route of 17.5 k's, because roads are relatively quiet.
Ride home is(a very pleasant and scenic) 20k's via the torrens linear path/obahn track with 3.5 K's on road for the last stetch to home.All uphill so takes another 15 mins longer than morning, but it's very enjoyable.
brauluver

Postby roller » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Kev365428 wrote:I wish.

Kev.

"routes" not "roots"

i have a PSP route in the morning which is a lot more direct than my afternoon route which cuts through suburbs and & has a decent little hill in it just for good measure.
roller

Postby Fletcher » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:38 am

I've recently taken to using a different afternoon route to avoid a couple of traffic black spots and long, boring hill. This makes it a bit longer but far safer and much more enjoyable.
Fletcher

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:18 am

Short answer

YES

Long Answer

My weekday morning is... Bike to Gosford Station, Train to Artarmon, Bike to Lane Cove. The bike bits are only short 3-5km but save me about $10 a day in bus fares. Some days I walk instead of ride but it adds a lot more time to the commute.

The afternoon is the reverse on Mon & Fri. But on Tue Wed & Thu I get off the train at WoyWoy so I can ride an extra 14km around the water to home, yesterday I must have been fighting 40km/h+ headwinds. On the days that I walk in the morning I will run the Station - home leg.

I also mix it up a bit from Artarmon to/fro Lane Cove, sometimes I use the Epping Rd bike track to/fro Hampden Rd other times I use the back streets between the Station and the Pacific Highway
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 3 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish
fatherofmany

Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby hoboct » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:29 pm

Yes, but mainly because one route is more convenient/safer than another, at specific times and traffic levels.

Oh, and the ride home route avoids one or two hills, which is just the thing after a day at work and you just want an easy ride home. :)
Peter
Steel may be real, but even both sides of the Cold War agreed titanium is better
hoboct

Postby justD » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:47 pm

leximack wrote:Longest commute i have done is approx 90km which included Quakers Hill to the M7 cycleway then to the end at Prestons and then back to work at Castle Hill.

Impressive!!

I live less than 1Km from the office, but take a 23km ride past the Newcastle harbour, Nobby's beach and Newcastle beach. I feel ALIVE when I get to the office!

Harbour

Nobby's

Newcastle beach (bit later on a Saturday morning)

Afternoons I'm a bit more lazy and either take a 2km or 16km ride home.
justD

Return to Commuting