How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

DavidS

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby DavidS » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Bit windy, but, no cars today as public holiday - unless you work at a university of course, even a university where the workers went on strike for an 8 hour day all those years ago.

Still, nice to have less traffic.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:09 am

It had been too long, so I pumped up the tyres on the MTB and wheeled it out of the garage this morn. Didn't enjoy the push up the hill, but it was worth it to head back down the other side. Short, but sweet MTB ride.

Dewy grass and dusty trails meant I ended up pretty well spattered with mud as I rolled into work, but the showers work!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:32 am

A but dull, to be honest. But that's better than "exciting" for a commute, I find!

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 am

In a word, damp. Not wet enough to be unpleasant, but enough standing water on the road and enough drizzle to make things a bit dirty and sketchy. I always overlook the time it takes to put on those extra waterproof layers (booties, vest, etc) and my removable mudguards and i invariably end up late and rushing in the wet.

Looking forward to daylight savings to re-capture a bit of light in the morning, but not looking forward to riding home in the dark. catch 22...

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Achieved my highest ever average speed for the commute this morning, 15km at 35.2kph (also too the KOM from my suburb into the CBD on the main cycleway route in)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:18 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:Achieved my highest ever average speed for the commute this morning, 15km at 35.2kph (also too the KOM from my suburb into the CBD on the main cycleway route in)
I'll flag it later

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:40 pm

jasonc wrote:
adam0bmx0 wrote:Achieved my highest ever average speed for the commute this morning, 15km at 35.2kph (also too the KOM from my suburb into the CBD on the main cycleway route in)
I'll flag it later
:twisted: :mrgreen:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:20 am

The route I took on Tuesday went past a tent and screened gazebo in the bush. No other signs of habitation. Same Tues arvo, no signs. Same Wed morning, no signs. Wed arvo and still no real signs of life other than the windows on the tent were open. Bit strange, but the site has a great view over the lake.

Yesterday morning I left home and spied a bike ahead. On MTB again, so CCR kicked in and I caught up to him as we dismounted to go up a short section of stairs. He was on a gravel/CX bike so I claimed a point after leaving him behind, even if the overtake was on the re-mount at the top of the stairs.

The steepest descent past the campsite I managed to shave 1min off my Tuesday time simply by staying on the bike a bit longer. No idea how the KOM is still 1min faster. Guessing it was some downhiller type with no fear of crashing. It is so steep it is hard to walk up or down.

On the way in I also had one of those moments that make you wonder 'why?'
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 pm

bychosis wrote:On the way in I also had one of those moments that make you wonder 'why?'
This is a family friendly forum! No fowl jokes allowed.

I was thirsty on the way in & my bottle was empty, but fortunately someone had left a tap running
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Do we need a commuter pictorial jokes thread?

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:24 pm

1st week of commuting for me. Yesterday I added in an extra 7km detour into a head wind. I payed for it this morning with dead legs and missing my train :oops:. Instead I enjoyed a coffee before the next train. Still made it to work with 3 minutes to spare.
bychosis wrote: On the way in I also had one of those moments that make you wonder 'why?'
Why did the chicken cross the road?

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Nice work, that's fast.

Did the same myself this week, fasted trip home ever. 31.1km/h over 36km with a big backpack on :), PR & 3rd fastest on a hill segment. But missed getting my KOM back on another effort, after it was stolen from me last week :( Next time lol.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:59 am

I have this lovely Segment on my way home... have managed the 7.7km with an average of over 40km/hr and still dont get anywhere near the leaderboard... need to find a way home where the slower riders go or join a bunchie
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:16 pm

I had a great commute yesterday. After 5 kms my legs were cooked. 10 mknute train ride and I started feeling ok. Second leg of commute 2km in and my legs were toast.

I decided I need a rest. I got off the bike and wheel it over to a near by chair.
Why was my bike so hard to push?
Well further inspection revealed the disc brakes were cranked up tight and I couldnt get more than half a rotation of free spin when pishing the wheels by hand.

Needless to say the rest my ride was somewhat easier but the damage was done and my legs still feel cooked today.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Sirrus wrote:I had a great commute yesterday. After 5 kms my legs were cooked. 10 mknute train ride and I started feeling ok. Second leg of commute 2km in and my legs were toast.

I decided I need a rest. I got off the bike and wheel it over to a near by chair.
Why was my bike so hard to push?
Well further inspection revealed the disc brakes were cranked up tight and I couldnt get more than half a rotation of free spin when pishing the wheels by hand.

Needless to say the rest my ride was somewhat easier but the damage was done and my legs still feel cooked today.
What doesn't kill us can only make us stronger...

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:18 pm

RobertL wrote: What doesn't kill us can only make us stronger...
Amen to that

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:42 am

This morning wasn't ideal. Not a normal commute day, but the car needs tyres so planned to drop it off and ride to work expecting to be about 20min later than usual.

Turns out the rain is still here, so dropped the kids at school before the car at the tyre shop. Rain eased as I left, but the roads were pretty wet. Wasn't too bad until about 3min from work and the rain came in again. Ended up about 40min later than usual and wet. Not looking forward to wet gear at the other end of the day.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:43 am

yesterday I forgot the Barrack Obama was in town... caught in the security clamp down which = a slow run past a convention centre where he was having a talk... this morning was better, just loads of police around a certain hotel. Road bike is about to clock up 20,000 km, just need to find an extra 3 km on my short Friday get home to alcohol quickly route
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:14 pm

This morning was the long ride, (<10km), into town to The Chemist. Again it was quite noticable, the change in the behaviour of car drivers this year compared to last year, before the 1m-> rule. There was only the single black sports-hatch kind of car that pushed past too close with still around 300mm clearance and no high blood-pressure at all. It was still below the threshold of blatant rudeness, so I'd call it an overall friendly ride today.

I got to give a toot-toot to another black sports-hatch on the way into town that was stopped at the stop sign of a side-street on the left, with its front wheels on the white line and its grille and bumper 2/3rd across the bicycle lane marked in bright green paint on the tarmac. No great danger, more of a laugh, but it warranted a little happy toot-toot methinks.

I've been a bit apprehensive riding the old bunky 'ute bike around because it doesn't have the power to keep up with the buses like Tequestra the Tequesta the quick bike (which is too dangerous to ride in traffic sans f/face helmet, leathers & boots because it has no suspension), but time is a great problem solver. I hardly ride at all this month because my cards are in the red and cycling costs energy and energy needs food and food costs money, but even still, this old bunky seems to be getting better at keeping up with the traffic in town every time I take it on the long ride. I think it might be getting easier for the legs to push the pedals even with such minimal weekly escapades.

It is encouraging to notice a more respectful and less dangerous mood in the traffic this year. Maybe it is because I have made the conscious decision to change the time of my long rides (<10km ;-) from 07:30 to 09:00 after school is in, but that 1m-> rule does seem to be having a positive effect on the behaviour of car drivers, and everyone gets where they're going, just as fast as ever. I think I might go for another ride next week, just for the fun of it for a change.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

Milpool

Postby Milpool » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:27 pm

I've recently started commuting to work, mainly just for some exercise, it's a bonus that it's pretty bloody fun, though it's only a short ride of about 4.5kms. Doing it on a borrowed Azzuri Voltri until I can save up for a second hand Giant Defy. Have actually really enjoyed it though this week was the most I've ridden and still only managed three days due to weather and afternoon commitments.

Thankfully it's only a quick ride and it's along a service road so fairly quiet, gets a bit hairy near the quarry road if there's a truck coming in or out but had no dramas negotiating traffic so far. As I get more used to it I can vary my route to add some distance but I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed it so far.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:45 pm

^ it is good isn’t it!

Donned the soggy socks and shoes this arvo for a quick trip to pick up the car. Did ok. When I got there the guy looked out from the tyre shop and asked why was I silly enough to ride a single speed when there is hills. I didn’t try to explain it was also fixed gear, but he was an occasional cyclist so understood about riding ‘just becuase’

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:48 am

Commuting home on Friday, 1km from my street and suddenly a storm hits... was a struggle keeping the bike upright as the wind was pushing me onto the middle of the road and sand was being whipped up off the beach and was like being sandblasted... got to my street but I needed 5 km more to clock up 20,000km on the bike, thought its only wind and I was off the beach so kept going... then it rained... and I mean rained, heading up a hill was like riding up a river, gutters were floaded, cars were pulling up under trees as it was that heavy... thought I was back in a Summer Brisbane storm... then it just stopped with 1km to go and I got home with my 20,000km done and absolutely drenched... bikes now parked waiting for an overhaul

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:13 am

Was thinking yesterday morning that I am nearly 3 months into the year and I have not been hit by a car, unlike every other month where I had been hit at least once since moving to Auckland.... and then yesterday a car decided to do a u-turn in front of me... I thought I was graceful as I flew over the bonnet but I still havent sorted the landing part yet. Was pretty lucky I was going slow but landed on shoulder so off the bike for a few days and also broke the new derailleur hanger that I waited 3 weeks for and only just put on the bike after an off road crash

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:08 am

Far out cancan. That sounds rotten. Got footage?

Edit: After 2 days of horrible humidity (and fog) in Brisbane, we had a cracker of a morning this morning with crisp blue skies

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:50 am

cancan64 wrote: I thought I was graceful as I flew over the bonnet but I still havent sorted the landing part yet. Was pretty lucky I was going slow but landed on shoulder so off the bike for a few days and also broke the new derailleur hanger that I waited 3 weeks for and only just put on the bike after an off road crash
Zoinks, better luck next time cancan.

Started out in 8 celsius this morning, wasn't quite ready for that change in temp! Got a run of green lights too, so had to wait until Leederville to even get a sip of my cuppa. Got in quicker than I expected for not really pushing it that hard, which was kinda nice. Wonder if that actually means I'm getting fitter?

Rescued an exxy-looking e-bike in a precarious situation at work yesterday. Walking across campus on errands, I saw it against a u-rail, with its u-lock in two pieces, one on the ground, the other hanging over the frame. "This showtime ain't right" I think to myself ... I parked a spare Professor I had with me next to it for vigilance while I brokered safe-harbour in the bookshop stock-room and advised Security. They put up a sign on the wall where it was, and the bemused but grateful owner retrieved it that arvo. They reckoned the lock worked normally - so not sure whether I thwarted a theft in progress, or it just didn't catch properly when they locked up and it plonked off by itself. Weird ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle