How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

queequeg

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby queequeg » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:37 am

Xplora wrote:Taken on Sydney's arterial road of death, Epping Road from Epping to Delhi Road, that's some exciting gear right there. Drafting buses at 65kmh on the brakes :shock:
I only do that on weekends in the early morning. It is a great ride then!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Nearly wussed out this morning as have spent the last two weekends being savaged to within an inch of my life by racing yachts (tough life, I know). I hurt though, entire back and core was stiff this morning. Convinced myself that my options were either ride or seize up completely, oddly this resulted in me going uncharacteristically hard for a morning. Feel pretty good now, I wonder for how long??

On the tail of a fellow road bike with panniers through Bullcreek, we nearly came to grief when an oncoming rider overtook a primary-school aged girl at Warp 9 smack bang in the middle of our lane. Barely had enough time to yell out 'Whoa!!' before the threat had passed, and I suspect all four of us were pretty lucky. Most of all I hope the schoolkid didn't get scared off.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Bike feels slower. Not sure if it is because of the heavier rear wheel or the non-aero spokes or the smaller rim or the new tyres or I'm just tired.

This morning I had a white tradie ute honking me to somehow disappear into thin air. Funny that he could then easily overtake in the right hand lane when I pointed out its existence beside us. :roll:

Also had a car fail to check as it crossed from a side street. She did not even turn her head as I shouted 'STOP!'. Spidey senses knew she'd do it, so just the shake of the head as a result.

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:13 pm

It was raining this morning when I had to decide if I was riding or not. Of course by the time I'd decided not and showered at home it had all cleared. So I caught the train which is never, ever completely without minor annoyances. Today it was the ticket machine which wouldn't recharge my ticket so after three attempts I shrugged at the woman standing watching and figured I was getting off at the next stop anyway.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:57 am

drizzle and damp in Brisbane after warm/hot weather since Thursday last week. a mate went down this morning - broken collar bone. a workmate went down too. waiting to hear if anything is broken

please take care in the wet

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:00 am

A quick one this morning, sub 1h17min. Lovely morning for a ride once I warmed up.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:07 am

Lost the rear part of my rear Crud mudguard somewhere between work, Collins, Swanston, St Kilda Road and Fawkner Park last night. Doesn't look broken so appears that the nut just came loose and fell off. Not sure whether that was caused by age or by the rear wheel issues last week. If you see the end of a Mk2 mudguard on the road in those areas, it is probably mine. :P

On the way in this morning I noticed my front mudflap was also at a weird angle. This one was broken a while ago, and my fix was to duct tape it back on. The broken flap was being held on by the last dregs of sticky duct tape. Fortunately I noticed that one before it too bit the dust.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Nice ride in down my new route...straight down Cheddar/High then up Cramer. Maximum TT effort 8) :lol: So much for taking it easy :roll: Rotten hole in the road at the bottom of the hill at Tyler St tho. Just came in from a 50k round trip looking at jobs, feeling extra good......except for coming across a group of schoolkids along the Moonee Ponds Ck trail. All over the path, didn't even hear me yelling till I was on top of them, then started sooking cos I was "intimidating" them. This after they turn around and run almost straight into me friggin around with their mates. Closest I've ever come to a clip stack. Unlucky for them....a teacher trailing them saw it all and give it to them worse than me :lol: Might go the long way home tonight, start training to crush jasonc and TW next year :lol: :roll: :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:11 pm

fat and old wrote:Might go the long way home tonight, start training to crush jasonc and TW next year :lol: :roll: :lol:
Look forward to the challenge f&o.
Am still trying to work out how I'm going to squeeze in to P1 this year. After today I have 22 commute days left for the year. I'm not gretaboy so that's not going to be 2200kms. I wonder if TW will tell me his last day so I can crunch some number....

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:44 pm

How many k's is P1? I can't see it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Fast ride in for me this morning as I was chasing a couple of e-bikes for the majority of the ride.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the riding behaviour of the e-bikes as they were quite content to sit back and wait behind slower riders through pinch points and where unsighted.

The good ride was unfortunately spoiled by a right turning taxi severely cutting the corner and forcing me to take evasive action to avoid a head-on collision as I was preparing to turn right here.

I'll check the Fly6 and see if there is enough on there to support lodging a complaint.

I'm just glad it didn't happen to the guy with the kiddy trailer who was 100m behind me as I don't know if he would have been able to get out of the way quickly enough.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:50 pm

jasonc wrote:Image
Yeah....250+ week in week out. I won't be challenging that without a major effort. Solid effort guys.

Best get to it then.....I love a challenge :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:58 pm

fat and old wrote:Best get to it then.....I love a challenge :D
If you want to upload all of this years rides, I can add you in

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:06 pm

jasonc wrote:
as long as that equates to just less than 7k mms and leaves me chasing GB for 5th!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:07 pm

jasonc wrote:
Thanks mate, but nah....not in keeping with the rules. :D I can wait another 6 weeks to be humiliated.

Speaking of which....hey TW....do you ride a flatbar with panniers, wear a yellow helmet?

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:09 am

Pushed a little harder this morning and averaged over 30km/h for the first time in ages. I'm feeling a little jelly in the quads this morning but I'm sure if I HTFU just a little bit I'll be fine.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:33 am

humid this morning. felt like i was swimming

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:31 am

Surprisingly fast this morning. Certainly wasn't feeling fast, must have been the breeze.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:59 am

Humid this morning. I though I was... oh bugger.. Jason beat me to it. But this was true even at 0415 when I headed off into work this morning. Hello build up season!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:34 pm

Very slow creeping ride back home this morning. I hate nightshift :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Interesting ride home at lunchtime. As I was on a half day I left early, and was already up to nearly 150kms for the week. Normally I'd be starting to feel it in my legs, especially heading south from Perth into a 20kmh+ head/cross wind.

However, I thought I'd experiment with a pre-workout shake drink which I had some freebies of when I bought some protein shakes.

This stuff is chocked with Taurine, caffeine and extracts of all sorts of strange natural ingredients, but no sugars. Packet says to not have after 5pm and to start with half a pack as it is pretty potent. Bearing in mind I don't drink any caffeine and avoid sugary drinks as well I figured I would really feel the effects.

And I sure did, I wasn't much faster than I'd normally be into the wind, but given it was the 3rd headwind of the week I did not feel it in my legs at all, in fact I felt no discomfort at all, was able to sustain speed into the wind easier, maintain a higher heart rate without my legs blowing up. However I did feel a bit wired and distant at the same time, like I'd had a strong painkiller and a beer on an empty stomach. A couple of hours later and I've come down and am now feeling my legs. Don't think I'll regularly be indulging, but I was amazed at the difference the drink made. It was still me, but I felt a bit superhuman. Maybe a bit of an insight into doping! I'll save the other packs for either a windy Friday, or if and when I try some racing (assuming there is nothing illegal in it)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:43 pm

left work 2 hours late after 88mm of rain. got home nearly dry

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:16 pm

jasonc wrote:left work 2 hours late after 88mm of rain. got home nearly dry
I bet your hubs didn't.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:15 am

Ahhhh....that excellent feeling when your top starts whipping in the breeze cos you actually lost weight and it's not "compression" fit anymore 8) Bout bloody time :lol:

What is this week? National motor powered/electric bike/scooter must use the trail and ride 2 abreast week? :? Copped 2 electrics, 2 petrol powered m/b's, a scooter and then two casual riders all coming towards me all over the path, all within 300m of each other last night. I ended up just riding just to the left of the centre line and resolving to cop one if they didn't move :evil: Say What is this? Ever since I've been leaving work later I'm seeing more of this.

On the other hand, coming up behind the pensioner walkers who need to walk next to each other I give them a yoi...and again....and ended up having to slow right down and yell just behind them. Give 'em a small serve, and the lady tells me to just ring my bell so they know. Damn....I don't have one so had to roll off, tail between my legs :( :lol:

Hot headwinds bring out the worst in me :?