How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby fatherofmany » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:41 am

Glad you got some good bikekarma Summernight.

Still waiting for mine.

Two old dears out for a pootle along the bike (shared) path this morning completely oblivious to anyone else using said path. Each was riding on the outside edge of the path, about 2.5m wide, one on the far left, one on the far right. They were having a good old natter as they rode. I rang the bell 3 times on approaching (from behind) to no response. Slowed right down to their magnificent 15km/h effort and waited a bit.. still no response. Thought to myself, stuffit, and rode carefully between them saying "excuse me" as I did. The one on the right then exclaimed " how about you use your bell". I let her know that I did... 3 times, refrained from asking her to use her hearing aid and just rode away shaking my head.

otherwise non eventful, but the weather is looking pretty grim for this afternoon's return home.

FoM
Last edited by fatherofmany on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

simlin

Postby simlin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:49 am

Three cars parked in Bicycle lanes on the way home last night. Easily avoided...but needless.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:56 pm

Autumn is here - first cuppa tea en-route for the year. Makes red lights somehow much easier to deal with.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:09 pm

Somehow managed to miss the rain that poured down in Sydney today both going to and from work.
Lizzy wrote:Autumn is here - first cuppa tea en-route for the year. Makes red lights somehow much easier to deal with.
Good idea Lizzy!!
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:39 pm

Had a bit of a funny moment. Joggers three abreast on the shared path this arvo. I rang the bell from about 15 metres behind, expecting them to keep running on, oblivious.

Instead, the left jogger went left, as did the right-hand jogger. Unfortunately, the one in the middle jumped to the right, colliding with the jogger on the right... It was a funny sight seeing them laughing at themselves as they sorted that out.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:06 am

There's been some rough weather all over Germany, and the last couple of days have been pretty wild here in Munich.
Yesterday I had a really wet start, and was pretty well soaked from the knees down (I wore a bike poncho), but dried out during the course of the morning at the office, so no issue.
Today the wind was howling, blew my bike over even though it was tethered to the bike parking hoop/frame thingo. As I left work, it started raining too, so I resigned myself to another soaking. Bonus was that car traffic was hell as a tree had blown over, blocking the bike path as well as one of the car lanes on a major arterial road. Had no issue merging with the traffic around the tree (cyclists get plenty of consideration here), and continuing on my merry way.
Snow is forecast for the next couple of days, so commutes could be interesting for a bit still...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:46 am

Raining in Brisbane and I have to go to kids school on the way home so trained it instead. I did enjoy the sleep in
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:49 am

Ran over a small syringe on the Bourke street cycle path this morning, didn't spot it amongst all the rain debris until just before it went under the front wheel. Must have kicked up because I heard it ping off the frame somewhere and had a momentary twinge of fear as I waited to feel a needle prick :shock:. Fortunately nothing. No idea where the thing ended up, couldn't see it when I looked back.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:48 am

Ah the joys of Inner Sydney FiveDaysAWeek.

I had to ride past an 8km car park today. Millions of dollars worth of motor vehicles, and none of the quicker than a fat slow old bloke on a bicycle. If only the gument would build more roads, that would fix it :roll:
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:04 pm

FiveDaysAWeek wrote:Ran over a small syringe on the Bourke street cycle path this morning, didn't spot it amongst all the rain debris until just before it went under the front wheel. Must have kicked up because I heard it ping off the frame somewhere and had a momentary twinge of fear as I waited to feel a needle prick :shock:. Fortunately nothing. No idea where the thing ended up, couldn't see it when I looked back.
Zoinks, lucky escape there. Ew.

Lately at work I have been seeing an Elliptigo stashed in a stairwell, well on the way home yesterday I discovered whose it was - beat it resoundingly but was denied a CCR scalp :lol: I ... think I kind of want a go on it. Just once ...

Later & further north, got lunged at by a big dog, heading up the hill to cross Cedric St. Delightful creature was muzzled fortunately, apparently for good reason. Was being walked by a teenage girl/young woman, she about got her arm taken out of the socket (I confess I did not hang around to check on her).

Extended commute this morning, due to guinea-piggery in an air pollution study by a PhD student. Involved two 5km back-track & returns, and four crossings of Hutton St, yargh ... had the foresight to pack a ham & cheese sanger for the toastie machine at work. Hit the spot after that.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Lizzy wrote:Lately at work I have been seeing an Elliptigo stashed in a stairwell, well on the way home yesterday I discovered whose it was - beat it resoundingly but was denied a CCR scalp :lol: I ... think I kind of want a go on it. Just once ...
My deepest darkest secret is I, too, want to try out one of those things. Somewhere where no-one can see, of course. :P

There was a hazardous combustible liquid spill in Collins Street, Melbourne CBD last night. The road was closed in one direction from about 5PM yesterday and was still closed when I went through at 9AM this morning. I didn't realise chocolate was that potent (it looked to be outside a chocolate shop). :P

It is a good time to be riding a bike when roads are closed. Bad time to be in a car when they close off a main-ish CBD road in one direction.

Silly peds last night on Albert Street beside the Tribeca apartment complex who, separately, stepped out (in opposite directions) about 20 metres apart over the separated bike lane (that is on the left of parked cars) that both didn't even look up the hill for any oncoming bikes. There was a large van blocking the man's view too so they should have looked before striding out. The man had just stepped onto the footpath when I came alongside him and said he had to look next time he did that. I think the lady who also did it saw the man crossing further up the hill so did the whole sheeple thing and crossed without looking, trusting that the male random ped knew what he was doing. :roll:

Then had a SMIDSY in Baker Street, Richmond, who almost turned right over the top of me in his carpy little car into a little laneway or driveway to go to an apartment complex or small house. He was halfway across my lane when my third very loud shout of 'OI!' got his attention and his surprised face was almost comical. He had a clear view of the oncoming traffic and still started the turn. Then the cyclist just behind me also let out an 'oi!' so I think the driver tried to keep turning after I had gone past and missed my shadow, the second cyclist.

Very much looking forward to receiving my Loud Bicycle Horn in April/May... Finally... :D

Other than that it was a lovely ride. The ride in this morning was extremely pleasant, just a touch warmer than the last few days.

I had to put the pedal to the metal to get the Hoddle Street green light and had an SUV who decided it wanted to get to the left hand turning lane (which means they must cross, and give way to cyclists in, the bike lane) almost squeeze me to the left. There was room for evasive action so no harm done to me and hopefully the driver actually uses their side mirror in the future. :)

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:57 pm

This morning was a fine commute on which I made the startling realisation that the harder I turn the pedals, the faster the bike moves. It's hard being a rocket scientist.

Only 'fun' this morning was a driver berating me for "riding too fast" along the St Georges Rd bike path. Said driver had just completely ignored a big red STOP sign just above a big yellow warning triangle informing him that he's about to drive across an active bike path. Seriously, the roos that bounce along and across the Hume Freeway bike path have more common sense than some drivers.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:51 pm

WhingingPom wrote:This morning was a fine commute on which I made the startling realisation that the harder I turn the pedals, the faster the bike moves. It's hard being a rocket scientist.
I worked that out a while ago, but have just recently discovered that turning the pedals faster also works. :-)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:50 pm

The combustible [chocolate?] hazardous liquid spill near the corner of Collins and Spring was sorted sometime before I left for home last night, making it just under 24 hours that the road was closed. The CFA posted an update of it around 6.50PM or thereabouts but I think I had already gone past with the road open by then. The CFA also said that if anyone was experiencing symptoms due to inhalation they should go to the doctor... What symptoms??? :shock:

Nice ride home in the lovely weather. I woke up to the rain pounding down on the roof during the night and it was a lovely, albeit very chilly (almost thought I had underdressed with the short-sleeved vest and longs) ride in this morning.

A courier-looking cyclist passed too closely to me as I was waiting to do my hook turn from Collins into Elizabeth. I was waiting in the painted, designated vehicle hook-turn box, but I think he thought I should have been off near the pedestrian crossing. Don't know why he thought it necessary to pass so close to me when he could have either gone to the left of me or slowed down and not pushed past with a car right beside him. He turned his head afterwards to look at something and then shook his head, but if that shake was for me, I was doing nothing wrong, and he needs to give more room.

It has turned into another absolutely GLORIOUS day today. :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:24 pm

Rode the roadie for a change. Nice on a sunny day
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:08 pm

I took the roadie today as well... No difference in the rain
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:11 pm

drenched. radar was clear. obviously lying to me :(

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:04 am

Nah, that's just because youre slow :P

kb

Postby kb » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:50 am

jasonc wrote:drenched. radar was clear. obviously lying to me :(
https://xkcd.com/831/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:53 pm

Got to love the commute on a public holiday. I think I saw 10 cars for the whole ride.

Even better was I dodged the worst of the rain. A lot of heavy showers last night had me thinking I was in for a wet commute. It poured down again 10 min before I left but the worst I got on the way into work was a very light drizzle. :mrgreen:

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:25 am

Pretty quiet commute in today, seems alot of people have the day off, except for me!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:37 am

tez001 wrote:Pretty quiet commute in today, seems alot of people have the day off, except for me!
gah (AT) "alot"

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.a ... thing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So it turns out my front light didn't like the rain on the commute home on Thursday night. With the battery in the light is always on. It's always red. And every now and then the light just starts flashing...

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:52 am

jasonc wrote:
tez001 wrote:Pretty quiet commute in today, seems alot of people have the day off, except for me!
gah (AT) "alot"

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.a ... thing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So it turns out my front light didn't like the rain on the commute home on Thursday night. With the battery in the light is always on. It's always red. And every now and then the light just starts flashing...
Hit a raw nerve? I'll keep it in mind for next time I use alot :lol:

My hotshot rear light started doing some funny things after a ride in the rain last Friday. I ended up dismantling mine and letting everything dry out. Appears to have sorted it for the time being.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:38 am

tried the dismantling trick to no avail. this one has taken a few bumps over it's life too

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:20 am

I discovered that my snazzy Zackees turn signal gloves are not a fan of the rain, spent most of the journey with my right glove flashing intermittently, not too off putting, hopefully they'll dry off ok and be fine