How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

queequeg

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:52 pm

find_bruce wrote:Slow ride in as Sydney roads were a car park after an incident on the Harbour Bridge - upset me terribly riding past all those stationary cars.

I did resist the urge to wave :D
I'll wave to them this afternoon when they're stuck on the M2 :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:05 pm

That was an interseting commute. Roll out of the yard, lock gate and get hailed by a Highway Patrol car before I even get back on the bike. In a little out of the way side street :? Then he wants my name and addy....what for I ask? Apprently the cops are running some sort of safe cycling trip or campaign or something, and he wants to enter me into it :lol: Further along, in Heidelberg (where else? :roll: ) I see a young fella riding about. He rides onto the footpath, and kicks a postie's bike that was parked there over, then into the road, and straight at me doing a mono and laughing :lol: . He stopped laughing quickly though. Then the weather turns, me with just a jersey, starts raining, then hailing just at the Ring Road. The M80 maggie goes the full metal jacket on me, it's freezing and there's hail hitting me like the pointy little fists of your 5 y.o when he wants to fight :? :lol:

Fastest ride home ever by 1.5 minutes, and a heap of PR's on Strava tho :D

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:14 pm

jasonc wrote:so, which one and what time?
No idea for me. I'm taking a circuitous route that I've never done before, starting at the IKEA Richmond breakfast (through Yarra Council). No idea what time I'll get to any of them, except for IKEA, which will be ridiculously early (for me). :P

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:30 pm

33-35 degrees riding to work. Rain riding home..... :)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:25 pm

queequeg wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Slow ride in as Sydney roads were a car park after an incident on the Harbour Bridge - upset me terribly riding past all those stationary cars.

I was hopeful but strangely the M2 was travelling at the speed limit or close to, until only about 500m East of Pennant Hills Rd this arvo. I missed the storm though. Win ;-)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:30 pm

Boognoss wrote:
queequeg wrote:

I was hopeful but strangely the M2 was travelling at the speed limit or close to, until only about 500m East of Pennant Hills Rd this arvo. I missed the storm though. Win ;-)
Same! Got home about 30 min before the storm hit head on. One child under blanket with ear muffs on and iPad turned up to max volume, 3 year old (younger one) with face pressed to glass watching light show and rain!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:53 am

Blown around everywhere on the way home last night. Had one moment where I was going backwards, the headwind was so strong. :P But at least I didn't get rained on.

This morning seemed a bit quiet for cars. Where was everyone? Nice ride in. A cyclist in Wiggle kit was smashing out Albert St heading into the city- it looked like he was doing intervals and the hill was a sprint section. Made me feel tired just watching him burn up that hill.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:26 am

Loving this weather but my front derailleur is being a little biznatch. LBS gave it a talking-to on Friday night but it still doesn't want to do as it's told, so its getting detention on Thursday. Til then I'm a hamster!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:51 am

Lizzy wrote:Loving this weather but my front derailleur is being a little biznatch. LBS gave it a talking-to on Friday night but it still doesn't want to do as it's told, so its getting detention on Thursday. Til then I'm a hamster!
Funny that- have had to give two of my bikes FD's a good talking to over the last couple of days- one appears to have been sorted- the other i haven't used in anger yet.

Also agree with the weather- beautiful, looking forward to brekky in town tomorrow also.

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:19 pm

My wordy word.. what an experience getting hit by that storm about 10min from home yesterday.

Had to slow down and pull off the road for the heaviest of it, even with 3 rear flashies, I'm pretty sure that cars would have had a very hard time seeing me.

Wind, hail, torrential rain and then nearly 1.21 gigawatts later I'm home and very damp..

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:56 am

I went to the ride to work day brekky in City Square in Melbourne this morning. lots of bikes on a cold morning

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:25 am

Seemed to be lots and lots of cars on the road today, even with Ride to Work Day. I didn't notice too many more cyclists than normal.

Once I actually found the IKEA breakfast location and had enjoyed my lovely bacon and eggs I then did a loop (more like a bit of an '8') around to a few other breakfast locations on the way to work and what is normally just over a 4km ride turned into a 20+km ride. :D

Riding over the Collins Street and La Trobe Street bridges to/from Docklands was a bit hairy though - the expansion joints (that look like teeth) were contracted wide and were so far apart I thought my road tyres would get caught. So each time I had to cross them I had to focus on crossing at an angle to the teeth... Not the best of designs there.

An enjoyable, but chilly, morning.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:27 am

Summernight wrote:Once I actually found the IKEA breakfast location and had enjoyed my lovely bacon and eggs I then did a loop (more like a bit of an '8') around to a few other breakfast locations on the way to work and what is normally just over a 4km ride turned into a 20+km ride. :D
you guts :)

kbekus

Postby kbekus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:31 am

The number of cyclists headed toward the city down Royal Parade through Parkville this morning was quite impressive, probably triple the normal number. Didn't stop at a brekky point but good to see so many 2 wheelers.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:32 am

jules21 wrote:
Summernight wrote:Once I actually found the IKEA breakfast location and had enjoyed my lovely bacon and eggs I then did a loop (more like a bit of an '8') around to a few other breakfast locations on the way to work and what is normally just over a 4km ride turned into a 20+km ride. :D
you guts :)
:P

I had a Santa bag prepared to dump all the goodies in and run to the next location. Haha. I didn't actually eat too much on the ride - bacon and eggs, half a blueberry muffin and a berry smoothie. The rest I ate at my desk (some yummy muesli bars, a fruit bun, bananas and two very yummy yoghurt packs). :mrgreen:

Also got a hi-vis slap band (to complement my other freebie one that I use around my ankle) and a free gym session. My bike is kitted out with Ride2Work freebies - free bell and a free drink bottle, to go with the slap bands. :)

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:11 pm

Happy Ride to Work day everyone :)

Sadly I failed in my double-breakfast challenge; I was too quick for my own good and got to the City of Vincent event spot with 10 minutes before the kickoff time and not much looked like it was happening, so rather than knock around waiting to be entertained I pushed straight on to the Concert hall. Riding through the CBD was a bit of an adventure (since I pass to the west of it), it was actually quite a cool feeling to have a bunch of people going my way. Only one hairy moment when a car pulled out in front of me without indicating.

After breakky - which went off like a bride's nighty!! - I went to keep heading south, but forgot about the Betty's Jetty construction carry on and got sucked straight into it, turned back around having decided to do an impromptu riverloop instead, then realised I didn't really have time, so I decided to jump on the ferry down to Mends St. Which actually ended up being a $3 private water-limo transfer, and had a good old yarn with the skipper about the politics of sustainable transport into the bargain.

Ambrosial weather, too. Brought the big pannier a) for to carry my R2W breakky showbag and b) spare gear to go twilight sailing after work. Life's tough all over, really ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:15 pm

Ride to work in Cairns was a popular event, and with today's glorious weather, the brekky venue on the Cairns Esplanade was chockers. I believe that all the food was gone about an hour before stumps.

My ride to work commute was in two parts, Wednesday being an early start for us, so was at work by 5am. The ride to work brekkie coincides with our Wednesday morning meal break so the depot emptied out as we formed a pack (of 3) and tore up the pathways to the Nard at 6.30. Not only was a delicious breakfast consumed, there was plenty of free stuff offered by the council, including some water bottles and tee shirts, as well as catalogues offered by a couple of the LBS's who set up displays under marquees. I fortunately took a shoulder bag to bring the spoils back in.

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Grim weather for Ride To Work Day in Sydney this morning: cold and windy with intermittent rain, and truckloads of leaves, twigs, sticks, and branches littering the paths after last night's storm. I enjoyed the free cappuccino but felt a bit sorry for the shivering RTWD staff who outnumbered the cyclists. They were still smiling when I arrived a bit before eight which isn't a bad achievement when you consider they'd been there since six.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:40 pm

Initial plans for a nice extension to the commute for RideToWork day got blown away. Radar was nasty looking, temps were right down and there was a howling southerly to go with them. Blown this way and that on the way in, didn't make it tot the breaky at work due to a meeting. I did see two other riders that looked like commuters, and no exercising cyclists on the popular sharepath, walkers were few and fr between to.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:56 pm

Glad I wasn't in a cage today - was a car park coming home.

Smiled to the cameraman, while a part of me wonders what media beat up is coming - Jones St Pyrmont, right outside Channel 10

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:31 am

I thought the extra long Ride2Work morning commute had taken the wind out of my leg muscles for the ride home last night as I was feeling it up the hills... Then I realised I still had the bike in the largest chainwheel instead of the middle, which is what it is normally in for those hills.... That would be why there was a difference! :P

Good ride in this morning. A couple of drops of rain but didn't eventuate into anything. I needed to check to see whether my helmet cam was on so was waiting to hit a red light to pull the helmet off and have a look. Of course, when you want a red light you hit all greens, including the long light at the intersection of Hoddle and Albert... Such a tough life. Haha 8)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:51 am

I'm really enjoying my commutes lately. So calm and relaxed 8)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:48 am

Another couple of weeks have flown by, and I've been quite slack at posting as of late due to workload and other distractions.
Nothing much out of the ordinary has happened, had a few MMs trying to hasten my extinction, the M80 magpie is still as militant as ever (while his mates further up and down the trail seemed to have calmed down) and I got thumped by a butcher bird a couple of times as a bonus.

Still parking my bike at my previous (now part-time) client and get changed there too, then walk up Collins St for a block to put in a day of toil at the new client.
Need to sort out parking and lockers etc at some point.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:57 am

TW - what happened to us catching up?

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:11 pm

jasonc wrote:TW - what happened to us catching up?
We just did - great to meet you in person! Good luck for the ride around the bay this weekend, will be cool to catch up when you head back here in December.
I going to have to work a bit harder on balancing riding vs brewing to stay ahead in the challenge! :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike